Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:46 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times

Advertisements

I'm beginning to wonder if the people of San Francisco all sit around and discuss, "What can we do today that will draw attention to us as the wackiest place on the planet?" Is it, that they think any attention is better than no attention? Are the parades just not workin' out for them? Is it getting harder and harder to top their last loopy directive.

Today, of course, I refer to Meatless Mondays. Would this be the same crew that doesn't want farmers to water their crops?

"First, it was a ban on plastic grocery bags, and then on mixing recycling with compost. Now the San Francisco Board of Supervisorsis asking residents to go without meat on Mondays."

San Francisco's Meat-Free Mondays gets a shrug - San Jose Mercury News (http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14838682 - broken link)

Hey, why not a Nuts Day for the San Francisco Board of Supervisors? I'll go for Wednesdays for that one. Was it Monday just for alliteration's sake or is there some special vibe about Mondays? Hey, that's not the day most restaurants are closed, is it?

You guys pay high taxes to have your elected yahoos suggest what you can eat and when you can eat it? I guess they already solved the homeless problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 11:02 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
I highly doubt they care what you think, lol.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:20 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
I'm from San Francisco - originally from the Midwest, but I hang out here now. In many respects, it's a beautiful city. There are a lot of nice things here, and there is a lot of success in the Bay area...the modern internet/mobile technology you use was pretty much invented here. It has lots of drawbacks as well. What place doesn't?

There are a lot of extreme leftists here, just like there are a lot of extreme conservatives in other parts of the nation. So far, they really haven't done anything here that takes away any of the freedoms I cherish - and if you read that article, you'll see that they didn't say that they were going to try to prevent people from eating meat on Mondays; it just says that they will try to promote some sort of awareness and add some plant-based options to some menus or something, blah blah. It's probably not going to happen, and even if it did, it wouldn't stop me or anyone else from actually eating whatever we wanted on Mondays.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:26 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if the people of San Francisco all sit around and discuss, "What can we do today that will draw attention...
It helps to have people who would give all that attention... obviously!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:29 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I'm from San Francisco - originally from the Midwest, but I hang out here now. In many respects, it's a beautiful city. There are a lot of nice things here, and there is a lot of success in the Bay area...the modern internet/mobile technology you use was pretty much invented here. It has lots of drawbacks as well. What place doesn't?

There are a lot of extreme leftists here, just like there are a lot of extreme conservatives in other parts of the nation. So far, they really haven't done anything here that takes away any of the freedoms I cherish - and if you read that article, you'll see that they didn't say that they were going to try to prevent people from eating meat on Mondays; it just says that they will try to promote some sort of awareness and add some plant-based options to some menus or something, blah blah. It's probably not going to happen, and even if it did, it wouldn't stop me or anyone else from actually eating whatever we wanted on Mondays.
Lefties tend to inhabit a lot of places that are geographically beautiful. San Francisco is no exception. Their politics are extreme and absolutely ridiculous if you ask me.

The reality is that extreme liberalism would not fly in average locations (say like Oklahoma or North Dakota - no offense to anyone living in either of those states! lol). The only reason it works in beautiful locations such as San Francisco is because people are distracted by the natural beauty/aesthetics around them, and usually don't care as much about the political aspects of their local government.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:39 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
I'm beginning to wonder if the people of San Francisco all sit around and discuss, "What can we do today that will draw attention to us as the wackiest place on the planet?" Is it, that they think any attention is better than no attention? Are the parades just not workin' out for them? Is it getting harder and harder to top their last loopy directive.

Today, of course, I refer to Meatless Mondays. Would this be the same crew that doesn't want farmers to water their crops?

"First, it was a ban on plastic grocery bags, and then on mixing recycling with compost. Now the San Francisco Board of Supervisorsis asking residents to go without meat on Mondays."

San Francisco's Meat-Free Mondays gets a shrug - San Jose Mercury News (http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14838682 - broken link)

Hey, why not a Nuts Day for the San Francisco Board of Supervisors? I'll go for Wednesdays for that one. Was it Monday just for alliteration's sake or is there some special vibe about Mondays? Hey, that's not the day most restaurants are closed, is it?

You guys pay high taxes to have your elected yahoos suggest what you can eat and when you can eat it? I guess they already solved the homeless problem.
I really dont think they care about how they look to you.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:35 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,531,877 times
Quote:

Well if San Franciscans have a problem with the declarations of their elected officials they are always free to vote them out...See y'all down south are always talking about state rights and local rights and self-determination in regards to your section of the country---so on the flip side you don't really need to worry about what the city board of supervisors in San Francisco is talking about this week.

The fact is that this probably won't mean much--I grew in Santa Cruz, California just to the south of San Francisco, one of the most liberal locales in the US. The city council was always passing resolutions like making Santa Cruz a nuclear free zone that didn't really affect anything. If I lived in a conservative city that passed a declaration suggesting that we should all pray on Sundays---it wouldn't affect me to any extent; I'd just go ahead with not praying...as long as it's not a law, who cares.

The last lines of the story indicate how un-eventful this really is...

Quote:
Most just shrugged it off as another one of those "only in San Francisco" initiatives.

"People will talk about it for a month, then it'll go away," said Kegan Riley, 28, as she flipped hot dogs at the Rosamunde Sausage Grill
I'm sure plenty of people will be eating at the House of Prime Rib on Mondays in San Francisco well into the future.

Just another "wacky" San Francisco story the AP decided to pick up for the Red staters to gawk at.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:43 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Lefties tend to inhabit a lot of places that are geographically beautiful. San Francisco is no exception. Their politics are extreme and absolutely ridiculous if you ask me.

The reality is that extreme liberalism would not fly in average locations (say like Oklahoma or North Dakota - no offense to anyone living in either of those states! lol). The only reason it works in beautiful locations such as San Francisco is because people are distracted by the natural beauty/aesthetics around them, and usually don't care as much about the political aspects of their local government.
Wow, despite being a completely grammatically correct and generally well-worded comment, this is an absolutely nonsense post.

You believe that "extreme liberalism" only occurs because of the distraction of the geographical beauty of the area? Hahahaha. How beautiful is Detroit? How gorgeous is Flint? Wow, I'm speechless before the serene beauty of Providence. Buffalo....simply divine..

Old 04-08-2010, 01:21 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Most people in San Francisco don't care what the rest of the country thinks of them. You might call them "nutty", but that's okay. I can think of plenty of "nuttier" cities where the population is overly religious (in my opinion) and anti-gay. These cities tend to be poorly-educated. I sure wouldn't want to live in any of those places.

San Francisco is one of the best-educated cities in the U.S., so if you don't like educated people, you probably wouldn't like it there.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:26 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Lefties tend to inhabit a lot of places that are geographically beautiful..
I love posts like these...so ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies