Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishphd View Post
Assess on test scores = Just teach the test (They already do that)
Student grades = Grade Inflation ( Give everyone As and Bs)

All this leads to is more poorly educated students who feel entitled when they attend college and get smacked in the face when they can't think critically.

Kill the Bill!
and I will again ask, should teachers just get raises because they are teachers? Don't most of us get raises and promotions based on performance?

I do agree with some of what you are saying, it is almost a no win situation, but there has to be some guide lines.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 02:19 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I will again ask, should teachers just get raises because they are teachers? Don't most of us get raises and promotions based on performance?

I do agree with some of what you are saying, it is almost a no win situation, but there has to be some guide lines.

Nita
Multiple observations by knowledgeable educators (not necessarily principals) could determine how well a teacher was executing his/her responsibilities. A student's test results measure the student's performance, not the teacher's.

Last edited by ray1945; 04-11-2010 at 02:57 PM..

Old 04-11-2010, 04:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Imagine what the country's reaction will be if Jeb Bush decides to run for president in 2012.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:43 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Don't know and don't care. It didn't happen so what's the difference?

I can't see a reason in the world why schools provide lunch anyway. Kids should bring their own lunch to school.
If you don't know, then how do you know it didn't happen

And what about the kids who's parents either don't have time to pack a decent lunch, or have the money?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:53 PM

470 posts, read 462,112 times
Teachers are not GOD's, although many think they are. They should be held accountable for performance or go stand on the UE line like everyone else who isn't worth a shyt. You can see the selfishness like the light of day with teachers. We are in one hell of a bad economic time and they are not willing one bit to take a hit like everyone else and do the right thing. In NJ, they are wishing death on the new Govenor because he is making them pay 1.5% of their salaries for their benefits and now they can only retire and get paid $15,000 for acrued sick time they have left instead of ALL of it. ALL Civil service workers in NJ have tyhose restrictions, but for some reason, the teachers feel that everyone but they themselves have to participate in making cuts.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:38 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I hope there isn't already a thread about this...

Everytime they get involved in "improving" our public education system, they only make it worse, No Child Left Behind comes to mind. Has anyone been following this Florida Teacher "Tenure Bill"? Talk about screwing our teachers, I am just in a fit about this. Allowing kids' test scores to determine a teachers' salary, for real? What about the teachers who work in the inner city schools whose students come from broken, abusive homes. How well do those kids really do in school without any family support, and now a teacher has to pay for that? What is with these Republicans???
The Florida "teacher tenure bill," SB6, has been vetoed by Gov. Crist.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:48 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:

Everytime they get involved in "improving" our public education system, they only make it worse, No Child Left Behind comes to mind. Has anyone been following this Florida Teacher "Tenure Bill"? Talk about screwing our teachers, I am just in a fit about this. Allowing kids' test scores to determine a teachers' salary, for real? What about the teachers who work in the inner city schools whose students come from broken, abusive homes. How well do those kids really do in school without any family support, and now a teacher has to pay for that? What is with these Republicans???
Is the complaint that the bill would make the quality of education worse, or that it would make life harder for teachers?

I support teachers and think they should be paid more than they are, but that shouldn't be the measure of a good initiative. I also understand and agree that some teachers fight an uphill battle with a lack of parent invollvement. I think think that should be considered. I don't know the best answer of measuring teacher effectiveness, but improvement in test scores would seem to fit in as a piece of the puzzle, among others.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:

Yeah those poor teachers......they got it so tough, lets not try to hold them accountable or raise expectations.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:12 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
The "Texas Miracle" was Bush's claim to fame in the 2000 election. Bush was at a photo-op on 9/11 reading to elementary kids in Florida to pushing NCLB.

I seriously doubt that "the left" meant for it to be an unfunded mandate and vehicle to push for vouchers.
That's a lie look at the flim the children were reading to Bush. I thought that is what NCLBB was all about. No child left Bush behind

Old 04-15-2010, 04:14 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
Quote:

Anytime the federal government gets involved with anything, they make it worse. It's not unique to repubs, and it didn't start with the NCLB act...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies