Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:19 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,309,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Geez, I guess satire is lost on some. This video is making fun of homophobes.
Darn, it would have been more fun to watch the reactions to this video if you hadn't told them that so soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 08:33 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,708 times
Apologies Cuebald as I made the error of not watching the video first/going by the title and assuming it was anti-gay. You know what happens when somebody assumes and sorry for jumping the gun. Just been bummed at how many anti gay threads have been popping up lately while the anti gay crowd complains about the number of gay related threads on the forum. I have no problem admitting I sometimes get mildly cranky at it as I hate homophobia. Sorry again. I haven't posted much on any board in the last ten months and rusty

Old 04-09-2010, 08:53 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
The video represents the same thinking, which is real, that all Americans use to impose their will on others. You know that there are people out there somewhere who would actually say some of the same things, right? Homosexuality is only one issue, but the "reasoning" is the same. People decide if something is "right" or "wrong" and then go about trying to impose their will on others through force. It is the American way. Whether it is the "left" or "right", they are the same as the homophobes depicted.

While there may be great agreement that the people portrayed in the video are silly, the bad thing is that people can't see that they do the same thing with ideas that they believe are "right". The "left" thinks that their Welfare State is right, so they impose it on everyone. The "right" thinks that their Warfare State is right, so they impose it on everyone. In that sense, these homophobes are "rational" and "civilized". It is the selective assignment of "injustice" that is troubling about the video, not the video itself. After all, what we personally believe is wrong is completely fine to ban.
That's all well and good. I was commenting on people who came in and posted kneejerk reactions to the title of the thread without watching its content.

If you watched the video and got all of that out of it, that's cool. My comment wasn't directed at you, then.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:57 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,626 times
hah...it actually took me a while during the video to realize that it was satire. That's what I get for watching it first thing in the morning

Old 04-09-2010, 09:01 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Why are people so afraid of homosexuals?

I just don't get it. They've been around for all of recorded history, and society hasn't fallen apart. Even in societies like Athens, Rome, Persia, and Egypt, who openly accepted homosexuality, nothing happened because of it.

Oh, well they are all gone, so I guess God smote them for being so brazen.

You do know that there are several accounts that King David, Gods chosen King had a homosexual relationship right?

Please people, its the 21st century already, just leave well enough alone, and worry about your own house.

My Grandfather told me a parable once. About a farmer who had such good crops, that he started telling all of his neighbors how to plant theirs. He got so busy telling everyone else about their crops, that he neglected his own, causing his crops to die, and loose his farm.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:08 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,429,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Why are people so afraid of homosexuals?
Studies have shown:

Quote:
Research by US psychologist Prof. Adams of the University of Georgia suggests that 80 percent of men who are homophobic have secret homosexual feelings.

Most Homophobes are Gay

Old 04-09-2010, 09:43 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Folks responding negatively to this thread and assuming that the OP is serious clearly didn't watch the video.
I've noticed that a lot here on CD. People see the thread title and reply to THAT without bothering to fully read, use included links or - heaven forbid - watch embedded videos.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Thanks for the laugh.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:52 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I've noticed that a lot here on CD. People see the thread title and reply to THAT without bothering to fully read, use included links or - heaven forbid - watch embedded videos.
It's amazing isn't it? It's been served up to people on a platter, tied in a bow, and all they have to do is push the button to view it.

Geez people are lazy! (Yet they have enough energy to smack down whatever it is based on the title alone)

Go figure.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:52 AM

1,089 posts, read 655,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Darn, it would have been more fun to watch the reactions to this video if you hadn't told them that so soon.
Exactly! The satire is lost on the homophobes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies