Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 02:57 PM

2,709 posts, read 1,040,224 times

Advertisements

I know we've got some really good minds here. I am interested in finding good resources and feedback on the importance of property to liberty?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 02:59 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
If you own something you have more control over it than allowing a collection to control it.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:02 PM

2,709 posts, read 1,040,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
If you own something you have more control over it than allowing a collection to control it.
Thank you for your response.

How does that relate to freedom?

Does control equate to freedom?

Old 04-10-2010, 03:20 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post

That depends on who's in control and over what.

You asked a vague question so the replies by default can only be vague generalizations.

While property ownership in itself relinquishes a certain amount of liberty, it is a loss that is chosen and a liberty than can be regained at any time at will.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:29 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,412 times
you can own property in china, zimbabwe, and russia as well...do they have liberty?

Old 04-10-2010, 03:33 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Quote:
Thank you for your response.

How does that relate to freedom?

I think we need to define what freedom is first.

Freedom (in my opinion) is being able to do stuff with the least amount of restrictions on the condition that it is not a detriment to society as a whole.

If I own something I have more control over it, and thus (hopefully) less restrictions. If owning something actually increases my restrictions then I have less freedom. Certain types of ownership will grant freedom in some areas and remove it from others. As an example if I own a home I have ownership over the investment growth of the property, but I lose a lot of freedom with regards to flexibility. I rent, if I get a job somewhere else I don't need to worry about my house and have far more freedom to jump to a new opportunity than someone who owns a home.

I actually feel that sometimes granting ownership of certain things to a government entity in certain cases can give society more overall freedom. I am aware that I'm probably going to get railed for that.

This is why certain things, like say roads, or services like fire departments, police departments, military, etc. are government owned organizations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
you can own property in china, zimbabwe, and russia as well...do they have liberty?
Property extends beyond land and the level of control over even that property is very different in China as compared to the US.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:43 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
The OP should study William Blackstone's examination of the property rights of Englishmen (English Common Law) in understanding the foundation of property rights in the US per our founding fathers.

John Adams on property rights:

"The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. If "[SIZE=-1]Thou shalt not covet[/SIZE]," and "[SIZE=-1]Thou shalt not steal[/SIZE]," were not commandments of Heaven, they must be made inviolable precepts in every society, before it can be civilized or made free."

Thomas Jefferson on property rights:

"The true foundation of republican government is the equal right of every citizen in his person and property and in their management." --Thomas Jefferson to Samuel Kercheval, 1816. ME 15:36

"A right to property is founded in our natural wants, in the means with which we are endowed to satisfy these wants, and the right to what we acquire by those means without violating the similar rights of other sensible beings." --Thomas Jefferson to Pierre Samuel Dupont de Nemours, 1816. ME 14:490

James Madison on property rights:

"If there be a government then which prides itself in maintaining the inviolability of property; which provides that none shall be taken directly even for public use without indemnification to the owner, and yet directly violates the property which individuals have in their opinions, their religion, their persons, and their faculties; nay more, which indirectly violates their property, in their actual possessions, in the labor that acquires their daily subsistence, and in the hallowed remnant of time which ought to relieve their fatigues and soothe their cares, the influence [inference?] will have been anticipated, that such a government is not a pattern for the United States.

If the United States mean to obtain or deserve the full praise due to wise and just governments, they will equally respect the rights of property, and the property in rights: they will rival the government that most sacredly guards the former; and by repelling its example in violating the latter, will make themselves a pattern to that and all other governments."

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 04-10-2010 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-10-2010, 04:03 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
No you can't. You can own a house in China but you can never own the land its on. In Zimbabwe the government routinely takes proeprty from people, rendering them homeless and without a means of supporting themselves. Property rights are weak in Russia too.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:13 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
I know we've got some really good minds here. I am interested in finding good resources and feedback on the importance of property to liberty?

Thank you
Instead of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" it almost was "life, liberty and property". That is true.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:19 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Instead of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" it almost was "life, liberty and property". That is true.
"Life, liberty and property" came first in fact, the words of John Locke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies