Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:19 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,788,485 times

Advertisements

Give California a break. What other native-born or adopted resident elected president do they have to celebrate?

Nixon. Enough said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 07:22 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Obligatory "**** Reagan" post

Old 04-11-2010, 07:26 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Amnesty for illegal immigrants was awesome.
Quote:
I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.
Farewell Address (January 11, 1989) - Miller Center of Public Affairs

Old 04-11-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That's what I was thinking. His terms were punctuated by recessions here and there and daddy Bush wasn't really any better. If that's paving the way for future economic prosperity then we are in for the largest boom this nation has even seen after the last 8 years!
Quote:
First, we must overcome something the present administration has cooked up: a new and altogether indigestible economic stew, one part inflation, one part high unemployment, one part recession, one part runaway taxes, one party deficit spending and seasoned by an energy crisis. It's an economic stew that has turned the national stomach.
Ours are not problems of abstract economic theory. Those are problems of flesh and blood; problems that cause pain and destroy the moral fiber of real people who should not suffer the further indignity of being told by the government that it is all somehow their fault. We do not have inflation because -- as Mr. Carter says -- we have lived too well.
Republican National Convention (July 17, 1980) - Miller Center of Public Affairs

Old 04-11-2010, 07:29 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,191 times
Reaganomics:

Old 04-11-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J._in_L.A. View Post
I don't understand why there is such a bizarre fascination between Reagan and conservatives. A lot of things that man did was very questionable ethically.

If you're in agreement with using poor communities as a target for crack cocaine and then using the proceeds from gangs to fund your war in Nicaragua, insane anarcho-capitalism, wasteful spending in the form of the "war on drugs", prison industrial complexes, and the shunning of the middle class, you'd get a big from me.
http://electoralmap.net/1984.png (broken link)

Democrat: 13 Walter Mondale
Republican: 525 Ronald Reagan

The stupid will never get what self determination means. They love someone else telling them their future.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"Ronald Reagan is just a little too far to the left for me."
- Eric Show*, San Diego Padres pitcher (and John Birch Society Member), around 1984
*Eric Show is the pitcher who threw the pitch to Pete Rose when Pete broke Ty Cobb's hit record in 1985. People may recall Show sitting on the mound while the game was stopped for this historic event.

Reagan used to be a democrat and switched to a republican in 1962.
Right around the time when democrats left the classic liberal mantra and moved so passionately towards Marxism.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 04-11-2010 at 07:45 PM..

Old 04-11-2010, 07:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Wow, good to know that CA has gotten all of their deficit, unemployment and foreclosure problems in hand. Know they can get on with the real important stuff. Honoring a former governor who was a bigger dope than their current governor.

smoking gun wrote;

Unfortunately you don't know what you're talking about. The number of US government (or "gummint" as many righties spell it) GREW under Reagan.

Oh yeah, and he had the AMNESTY for illegal immigrants.

Oh yeah, and when faced with ISLAMIC TERRORISTS in the Middle East, he CUT AND RAN.

Oh yeah, and he had more TAX INCREASES than TAX CUTS.

Oh yeah, and one of those TAX INCREASES was to pay for SOCIALIZED MEDICINE.

Oh yeah, and he was in favor of CUTTING THE NUMBER OF NUCLEAR WEAPONS.

Oh yeah, those big Reagan tax cuts, mostly BS. Most Americans were paying more in taxes after Reagan than before.

Oh yeah, the "Reagan Recovery". Complete BS. When Carter left office most economic indices were POSITIVE; GDP, jobs, tax revenues. But Reaganomic caused TWO YEARS OF DOUBLE DIGIT unemployment. Funny no one ever mentions that.

Oh yeah, the entire "brought down the Soviet Union" line. COMPLETE BS. By 1980 the Soviet economy was spiraling downward and they were starting to cut their defense spending. The US strategy of "containment" put in place by Harry Truman had been working for 30 plus years. But somehow Reagan thought, "let's spend money we don't have" and see if we can bankrupt our economy.

Our military was vastly superior to the Soviet military when Reagan took office, and the CIA and DoD told him this. Nothing he did hastened the Soviet collapse. Reagan didn't like negotiating with the old guard Soviets like Andropov. When Gorbachev came in he wanted genuine peace and Reagan darn near signed away our entire nuclear deterrent. (BTW, Reagan originally didn't want to meet Gorby, Maggie Thatcher talked him into it).

Heck two months before Gorby was overthrown Reagan was singing his praises and saying he could see Gorby leading the Soviet Union for years to come. A couple of months later his own officers were kidnapping him and getting him out of office. Nothing Reagan did helped or hindered their actions and nothing he did made the senior military officers support Yeltsin.

The Soviet military's primary mission throughout the '70s had been to keep their satellite nations in line. They couldn't even handle a 3rd rate power, and one of their own clients, Afghanistan.

But you guys just keep on believing the Reagan myths.
not going to sit and pick all this apart, it is too long, but the economy was in the tank big time. Interest rates when Reagan took over as Pres weere about 18% for home buyers. It took a couple of years, but finally they started down. I know, I was a realtor at the time and trying to sell our Ca home while moving to No Va. He has many other achievements, but I won't touch on them.

Nita

Old 04-11-2010, 07:40 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Personally, think first . . . I think it is an EXCELLENT IDEA!

In fact, considering all of his accomplishments for this country, why not a National Ronald Reagan Day?
Wasn't Iran/Contra just great?

Old 04-11-2010, 07:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Reaganomics:

these stats and charts regardless of what side you are on only tell a small part of the story. The same with the stock market.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies