Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:04 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,281 times

Advertisements

Here's what would happen if the nation divided the red states and blue states (not saying I want this to happen since all states have at least SOME good things about them):

You get Texas, Oklahoma and all the slave states. We get stem cell research and the best beaches. We get the Statue of Liberty. You get Dollywood.

We get Intel and Microsoft. You get Enron.

We get Harvard. You get Ole' Miss.

We get 85% of America's venture capital and entrepreneurs. You get Alabama.

We get two-thirds of the tax revenue, you get to make the other red states pay their fair share.

Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22% lower than the Christian Coalition's, we get a bunch of happy families. You get a bunch of single moms with 6 kids from 6 different fathers.

With the Blue States in hand, we will have firm control of 80% of the country's fresh water, more than 90% of the pineapple and lettuce, 92% of the nation's fresh fruit, 95% of America's quality wines, 90% of all cheese, 90% of the high tech industry, 95% of the corn and soybeans (thanks Iowa!),
most of the U.S. low-sulfur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy and Seven Sister schools plus Stanford, Cal Tech, UCLA, Berkeley and MIT.

With the Red States, on the other hand, you get to cope with 92% of all U.S.
mosquitoes, nearly 100% of the tornadoes, 90% of the hurricanes, 99% of all Southern Baptists, virtually 100% of all televangelists, Rush Limbaugh, and Bob Jones University.

We get Hollywood and Yosemite, thank you.

Additionally, 38% of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale, 62% believe life is sacred unless we're discussing the
war, the death penalty or gun laws, 44% say that evolution is only a theory, 53% that Saddam was involved in 9/11 and 61% of you believe you are people with higher morals then we lefties.

OKAY..it's a little more snippy than I usually like to be but hey, it's the truth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 01:49 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,646,366 times
Gosh, you managed to insult just about everyone!

Old 04-11-2010, 01:58 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times
Having lived in both, I can say that the "red state"-"blue state" stuff is mostly marketing garbage that has become, to an extent, a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Still, having lived in the bluest and the reddest, I can say that most states are sorta purple.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:06 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,752 times
Fact is that the Red states get more money back frm the Feds than do the Blue states.

The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxing and Spending Benefit Some States, Leave Others Paying Bill

Old 04-11-2010, 02:10 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Here's what would happen if the nation divided the red states and blue states (not saying I want this to happen since all states have at least SOME good things about them):

You get Texas, Oklahoma and all the slave states. We get stem cell research and the best beaches. We get the Statue of Liberty. You get Dollywood.

We get Intel and Microsoft. You get Enron.

We get Harvard. You get Ole' Miss.

We get 85% of America's venture capital and entrepreneurs. You get Alabama.

We get two-thirds of the tax revenue, you get to make the other red states pay their fair share.

Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22% lower than the Christian Coalition's, we get a bunch of happy families. You get a bunch of single moms with 6 kids from 6 different fathers.

With the Blue States in hand, we will have firm control of 80% of the country's fresh water, more than 90% of the pineapple and lettuce, 92% of the nation's fresh fruit, 95% of America's quality wines, 90% of all cheese, 90% of the high tech industry, 95% of the corn and soybeans (thanks Iowa!),
most of the U.S. low-sulfur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy and Seven Sister schools plus Stanford, Cal Tech, UCLA, Berkeley and MIT.

With the Red States, on the other hand, you get to cope with 92% of all U.S.
mosquitoes, nearly 100% of the tornadoes, 90% of the hurricanes, 99% of all Southern Baptists, virtually 100% of all televangelists, Rush Limbaugh, and Bob Jones University.

We get Hollywood and Yosemite, thank you.

Additionally, 38% of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale, 62% believe life is sacred unless we're discussing the
war, the death penalty or gun laws, 44% say that evolution is only a theory, 53% that Saddam was involved in 9/11 and 61% of you believe you are people with higher morals then we lefties.

OKAY..it's a little more snippy than I usually like to be but hey, it's the truth!
I don't play Blue State-Red State, but hey, I'll try.

We get:

The Grand Canyon
Johnson Space Center
Yellowstone
ASU
less Taxes
The State of Texas
America's Breadbasket
More gun rights, and more gun ownership, with many more types of guns.

And you get all the fruitcakes in San Fran, Seattle and the Left Coast.

But I don't play Red State-Blue State, but I gave it a shot.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:10 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,747 times
Rah, rah, rah, go, blue team, go!

Rah, rah, rah, go, red team, go!

Blast off!

Last edited by dunks_galore; 04-11-2010 at 03:08 PM..

Old 04-11-2010, 02:31 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
I don't know what offends me more,

The blatant ignorance of which states are blue, and red. The fact that all states, yes including New York, were slave states, and you ignored that.

Or the fact that you totally ignore that there are many good people in the south, who vote for who ever, because thats their right under the constitution.

You insulted just about everyone in the south. I'm from the south, and while I'm not liberal, I don't follow the Tea Party crap, and I'm not some inbreed hill billy that you must think we all are.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:43 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
Ok.. But what year are we going by?

1972?

1980?

1984?

1988 perhaps?

Old 04-11-2010, 03:11 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Red states get gas and oil (Gulf Coast except Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Alaska and the Bakken Oil Fields) and blue states get methane gas they make themselves.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:16 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I don't play Blue State-Red State, but hey, I'll try.

We get:

The Grand Canyon
Johnson Space Center
Yellowstone
ASU
less Taxes
The State of Texas
America's Breadbasket
More gun rights, and more gun ownership, with many more types of guns.

And you get all the fruitcakes in San Fran, Seattle and the Left Coast.

But I don't play Red State-Blue State, but I gave it a shot.
Actually the taxes in the red states would be a bit higher since currently the red states get back much more than they actually pay in. They would need to make up for the tax money the blue states give the red states somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies