Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 08:42 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

Doesn't matter..nobody is watching this loser anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 08:42 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
To the contrary - they were Patriots - defending their homes from an invading Force - the Union Army
That's the UNITED STATES ARMY, they were not invading what was part of the United States

Traitors took up arms against the United States

One Nation, Under God, INDIVISIBLE

Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Northern interest groups wanted to abolish slavery, without compensation for the loss that Southern farmers would loose if slaves were freed.

<snip>

Thats what the war was over. Abolishment of slavery with no compensation for the slaves.
You've stated emphatically, several times, that there were realistic plans underway to end slavery without compensation. While I have no doubt that there were those who'd love to bankrupt a few competitors, I've never heard anyone seriously claim that this was some sort of insidious master plan just waiting to be sprung.

Do you have a cite or two that this was the intention of the non-slave states, and that it was a remotely realistic option? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it took an amendment to end slavery. Weren't the slave states in a position to block amendments quite easily?

Old 04-13-2010, 08:47 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
That's the UNITED STATES ARMY, they were not invading what was part of the United States

Traitors took up arms against the United States

One Nation, Under God, INDIVISIBLE
So if the US Army were to march into Arizona, seizing property and taking control of the government, you'd welcome them with open arms, happily letting them take anything that you owned?

Old 04-13-2010, 08:50 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
Please provide some actual, widespread examples of the above. Another "lost cause" apologist.
I'm not defending the South at all. I am merely pointing out that the Union stooped down to the level of most victors in history. In 2010, there's really no other way to look at their actions as stooping.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:51 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So if the US Army were to march into Arizona, seizing property and taking control of the government, you'd welcome them with open arms, happily letting them take anything that you owned?
Oh please, making excuses for treason won't change it. I'm retired Army, I live in a town where basically the entire place is nin the military or retired from it. We already see more action from the Federal government than the State. Perhaps that's why unemployment is 4.5% here.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Oh please, making excuses for treason won't change it. I'm retired Army, I live in a town where basically the entire place is nin the military or retired from it. We already see more action from the Federal government than the State. Perhaps that's why unemployment is 4.5% here.
That's nice, so, the US Army is welcome to invade Arizona and take private citizen's property, and overthrow the government. It's all good with you.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:53 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,579 times
The major error of the Civil Ware era was ending Reconstruction too soon.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:58 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Both sides were terrorists in one of the most horrible, twisted and bloody wars that america has ever been involved with. The myth is nothing like the real thing was.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:59 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
They formed a new America: the Confederate States of America. After the North forced them to rejoin the USA they became U.S. Americans again.
No, it was not a new America, you were still part of the US and we forced you to accept it.

It was not recognized as a nation by any other nation.

You lost, get over it, and we are under no politically correct set of rules to respect secession from the Union.

My, my, the right suddenly goes all politically correct when there is a Dem as POTUS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies