Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:37 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,515 times

Advertisements

And yes .. this has everything to do with the division of Church and State.

City Employees -- Cities, Counties, State Agencies, and Federal Agencies, across the United States, take Religious Holidays off all of the time, yet, at the same time, prayer isn't allowed in the schools, and things like the Nativity and the Ten Commandments are not allowed on Public (City/County) property.

Shouldn't the *State, who so religiously (no pun intended) pursues the division of Church and State, be made to practice what they preach (no pun intended)? Or is the division of Church and State just a convenient punishment for those who would dare to live a better or otherwise moral life?

What say you?

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 11:45 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,330,582 times
The only religious holiday that federal employees get is Christmas Day. Everyone gets the day off.
At this point in time it is considered a "past practice" and the federal holiday stands because it has been a federal holiday for so long.

The "render unto Caesar.." does not apply in this case and I'm glad.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:47 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Other than Christmas, what holidays are you talking about?

Your logic is faulty, as well. Giving employees a day off is not an establishment. Leading children in prayer is.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Because they are not stupid. No one would come to work, blue sick days you know.

If you want to work on Christmas then you can do it. No one will stop you I am sure, just lock up when you are done.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:58 PM

922 posts, read 1,909,375 times
other than christmas; what other religous holiday are you talking about? and only goverment employees get off with pay for presidents day, columbus day, and MLK. what a waste of tax money.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Other than Christmas, what holidays are you talking about?

Your logic is faulty, as well. Giving employees a day off is not an establishment. Leading children in prayer is.
Faulty?

Well if you are calling the Employees of the City of Port Arthur, Texas taking "Good Friday" off, and all City services (administrative) shuttered for the day, faulty, well then I would guess you've already proven my point ..

And since when has the Pledge of Allegiance ever led any children to prayer?

Old 04-15-2010, 12:01 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,959,438 times
In 1999 the Supreme Court ruled that Christmas, with its emphasis on Santa, elves, and gimmee-gimmee-gimmee, is no longer a religious observance and can stand as a statutory holiday

Old 04-15-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
In 1999 the Supreme Court ruled that Christmas, with its emphasis on Santa, elves, and gimmee-gimmee-gimmee, is no longer a religious observance and can stand as a statutory holiday
Ah .. I see

So the division of Church and State is only a matter of certain and select convenience then ..

I never thought that the Government was all that serious about it all anyhow .. save only to throw around a bit of a power trip.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:08 AM

289 posts, read 311,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
And yes .. this has everything to do with the division of Church and State.

City Employees -- Cities, Counties, State Agencies, and Federal Agencies, across the United States, take Religious Holidays off all of the time, yet, at the same time, prayer isn't allowed in the schools, and things like the Nativity and the Ten Commandments are not allowed on Public (City/County) property.

Shouldn't the *State, who so religiously (no pun intended) pursues the division of Church and State, be made to practice what they preach (no pun intended)? Or is the division of Church and State just a convenient punishment for those who would dare to live a better or otherwise moral life?

What say you?

Any thoughts?
You clearly assume that they take "religious holidays" off for religious reasons, not for reasons of practicality.

And why is division of Church and State a "punishment", unless you believe that the State should only be observing your religious beliefs?

I'm curious how you'd feel if the only thing you could display on public property was "The Four Noble Truths"? And perhaps the school prayer you desire is the school leading the kids in recitation from the Quran each morning.... I only ask because your questioning is obviously predicated on the belief in Christianity, as though it were the only religion in this country.

After all, are you aware of any governments that give everyone the day off for Yom Kippur? I'm not. Well, at least, certainly not the federal gov.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:09 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Faulty?
Yep. A day off is not an establishment.

Quote:
Well if you are calling the Employees of the City of Port Arthur, Texas taking "Good Friday" off, and all City services (administrative) shuttered for the day, faulty, well then I would guess you've already proven my point ..
Your point is in error. If only Christian employees were given the day off, then you'd have a point.

Quote:
And since when has the Pledge of Allegiance ever led any children to prayer?

Teachers, dude. Teachers lead children in prayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies