Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:21 PM

395 posts, read 1,010,889 times

Advertisements

Any ordinances proposed like Austin and Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 06:30 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Let's go draw up a petition and hit the streets with it.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Let's go draw up a petition and hit the streets with it.
I'm down. What are the rules for petitions?

Old 12-06-2008, 07:47 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
I'm down. What are the rules for petitions?
It should have happened years ago. Why is it that in Spain and Italy smoking pot is a non-issue, yet here in Houston lots of people see it as some kind of sin.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:49 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,309 times
The whole "drug war" is dumb in my opinion. Too much resources are spent fighting the "war" and with very little results. Legalize drugs and re-direct resources to fight violent crime.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:44 AM

11 posts, read 29,343 times
Texas as a state would have to decriminalize marijuana which will more than likely never happen. I used to live in Austin and moved to Cali where it is legal...and amazing =). It's awesome, I just got medically "recommended" by a doctor and I can legally possess up to 3 pounds of medical marijuana and grow up to 100sq ft. of canopy in my county (Santa Cruz). Other counties aren't as leinant, but regardless it is legal. It would be great if austin would legalize it, because it has really become a huge source of revenue and keeps the economy going up here by the bay. Oakland has an area called Oaksterdam that used to be a run down area of town and medical marijuana facilities and dispensaries went in and got that whole area booming. But in my opinion Texas is far too conservative to ever go there. If you guys want to live somewhere you can smoke and be free move to NorCal or Colorado!! Great weather and great smokes.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:11 AM

912 posts, read 2,556,266 times
Without wishing to get into the whole debate about the harmful effect of marijuana (ie mental health, damage caused from inhaling smoke if it isn't vaporized etc) it does seem rather strange that the US in general seems to favor prohibition of certain substances. Seems the lessons of alcohol prohibition in the 20's were never learned.
In my opinion legalising all illegal substances would take control out of the hands of pushers, gangsters and other scum. It could also provide valuable tax revenue for the government. As this is nothing more than common sense there must be a good reason that federal government doesn't take this step.
The alcohol producers lobby perhaps? A useful tool to deflect the masses attention away from important issues? Or maybe something more sinister, perhaps the government already organises importation and distribution of these substances and so called 'gangsters' are merely government shills?

Old 12-07-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiababy512 View Post
Texas as a state would have to decriminalize marijuana which will more than likely never happen. I used to live in Austin and moved to Cali where it is legal...and amazing =). It's awesome, I just got medically "recommended" by a doctor and I can legally possess up to 3 pounds of medical marijuana and grow up to 100sq ft. of canopy in my county (Santa Cruz). Other counties aren't as leinant, but regardless it is legal. It would be great if austin would legalize it, because it has really become a huge source of revenue and keeps the economy going up here by the bay. Oakland has an area called Oaksterdam that used to be a run down area of town and medical marijuana facilities and dispensaries went in and got that whole area booming. But in my opinion Texas is far too conservative to ever go there. If you guys want to live somewhere you can smoke and be free move to NorCal or Colorado!! Great weather and great smokes.
Austin allowed police discretion to only give civil citatoins, as has Dallas.

We could do it. It's a matter of prosecutorial discretion/resources basically...you could basically say only punish it with civil fine and focus police resources on more serious stuff...like forbidding cops as a matter of policy from even worrying themselves with it, which is a waste of time.

Most of Cali is NOT that lenient btw.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:27 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
If the stae law says it is a certian class od fine and a city makes it a civil fine they could be in violation of the law. They can reduce the class of criminal but not elimante it has crimanl. Personally I thinkl making it olegal is crazy. I certainly woukld want to work wityh anyone I knew that used it any more than a drinker of alcohol.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:24 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
I agree that marijuana should be legalized & probably will some day. Most Western states have some form of medical marijuana & believe Alaska also allows this. California approved it 12 yrs ago but it hasn't worked out exactly as it should have. One major problem has been federal interference that both Bush & Bill Clinton condoned. Dispensaries can be raided by the DEA, they take all the marijuana & leave the owners will nothing in order to shut these businesses down. The LA city council has demanded the DEA desist these unlawful raids but marijuana use is illegal under federal law. I think Obama will stop the DEA harassment.

My Dad smokes marijuana for a nerve injury & my sister used it during chemo-therapy for breast cancer but they aren't registered as patients since my nephews provide the weed. But the dispensaries provide very good quality & concentrates\ hash for those who do not like to smoke & edibles [soda\ yogurt\ candy\ brownies, etc].

The downside is that teenagers can get medical marijuana without their parents knowing & all a person has to say to a doctor is that they feel better\ healthier\ less stressed by using marijuana. I have worked with high school students who use marijuana & know how their grades lower & horseplay rises\ general lethargy\ disinterest in academics.

Most doctors refuse to prescribe marijuana for fear of federal consequences or unfamiliarity with the drug. It is basically considered a popular issue since most citizens who live in urban cities want\ use marijuana. Smoking cigarettes indoors isn't allowed so now I smell marijuana alot on the streets downtown or outside clubs in Hollywood.

Not endorsing marijuana use, but I do know that it is not addictive like alcohol\ tobacco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies