Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:59 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i think the irony was already pointed out. she just wanted one dead, not both.
The.
Child.
Had.
Congenital.
Defects.

She didn't "want him dead". She probably, if you think about this at all logically and with anything of a heart, wanted both her babies and wanted them both to survive the birth and be healthy. She didn't just "want" her child dead on a whim or anything as far as I can tell. And as sure as you can tell, if you're honest. Please don't just jump on the bandwagon of women who want to "kill" their babies without even having knowledge of the specific subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

Chinese people here...Indians....MUSLIMS......they want males.
So they have ultrasounds to determine the sex (or CVS or amnio) and if it's a girl, they abort it?

Do you have numbers to support a very high percentage of boys v. girls being born in these populations, since the girls are being aborted? Just curious.

I mean I know you're busy trying to support the whole "women are selfish people who make hideous decisions concerning their fetuses for no good reason" agenda here, but really, at least have the facts first. If you have links to support your assertions, please do show them as I would be curious. If not, you're only adding fuel to the fire for your own reasons, which, itself, is reprehensible, IMO.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Selective reduction is very commonly practiced, even by people who consider themselves pro-life. If you have fertility treatment and too many embryos take, selective reduction follows. If not, voila, octomom. I'm very surprised this doctor attempted this when he admitted he had never done one before.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 PM

487 posts, read 636,762 times
Personally I think it would be more humane to kill the baby immediately following birth in a quick and painless manner rather than the gruesome techniques that are involved in an abortion.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:06 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
thing can always go wrong in a killin.you know that going in. deal with it. better luck next time

Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i think the irony was already pointed out. she just wanted one dead, not both.

a little hypocritical trying to take any moral high road.

now of course she will get herself a lawyer and try and make money on the entire tragedy.
what irony? I don't get why people aren't understanding that the male fetus had congenital issues. he may not have even made it to term and being kept in utero may have endangered the female fetus.

jeez, what is it w/ you people? I'm pro-choice, but not a fan of abortion, but in cases like this, when there's probably little hope for a fetus to survive in utero or after birth (of course we don't know if that's the case w/ this story), that's when abortion is most needed. why carry a baby doomed to die, or worse, doomed to live in pain for seconds/minutes/days and then die? I know I could never handle that and would probably abort if it was a definite prognosis.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Personally I think it would be more humane to kill the baby immediately following birth in a quick and painless manner rather than the gruesome techniques that are involved in an abortion.
Actually, what killed the female fetus was a lethal injection meant for the male fetus. Not wonderful and happy, but probably not "gruesome" as compared to a "quick and painless" death as you say...Wouldn't that, too, be a lethal injection? I'm assuming.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 PM

487 posts, read 636,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Actually, what killed the female fetus was a lethal injection meant for the male fetus. Not wonderful and happy, but probably not "gruesome" as compared to a "quick and painless" death as you say...Wouldn't that, too, be a lethal injection? I'm assuming.
There are various methods.

Dilation and Curettage (D and C)

This is similar to a suction procedure except a curette, a loop-shaped steel knife is inserted into the uterus. The baby and placenta are cut into pieces and scraped out into a basin. Bleeding is usually very heavy with this method.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
So they have ultrasounds to determine the sex (or CVS or amnio) and if it's a girl, they abort it?

Do you have numbers to support a very high percentage of boys v. girls being born in these populations, since the girls are being aborted? Just curious.

I mean I know you're busy trying to support the whole "women are selfish people who make hideous decisions concerning their fetuses for no good reason" agenda here, but really, at least have the facts first. If you have links to support your assertions, please do show them as I would be curious. If not, you're only adding fuel to the fire for your own reasons, which, itself, is reprehensible, IMO.
Well in the USA and Canada, it is harder. My cousins wife said that the doctor next door used to reveal genders at ultrasounds but now the local government forbids doctors from doing it in Vancouver, Canada because most of the time, they want the female one aborted.

And yeah...have you not heard about China? There is like 1 girl for 3 or 4 boys since they kill or abort their female fetuses or murder the girls that are born.

And like I said, I am Indian. I have heard some people talking about having girls over boys. When we visited India 2 years ago, some distant relatives saw us come in and were like "Where is your son?" and my parents with shame said they didn't have one. The relatives then tried to comfort my parents by saying "God does what he does...don't worry. In your next life you will have sons."

THATS why I expressed wonder about the fact that the male was aborted. I shouldnt have based off lifelongM post though. That was my bad. I should know better than to base anything off his posts. I apologize.

I saw that Indian lady pleading with my cousins wife myself. Told my cousins wife that she was 8 months pregnant and didnt want it because it was a girl. And then even threw in "You know how Indians want sons, right?"

And for the bolded: What the HELL are you talking about? I am 100 percent pro choice...abortion on demand for the first 3 months....

Women have EVERY RIGHT to abort if they do not want the pregnancy. They have every right to birth control and they have every right to the morning after pill. I don't ever think having an abortion is selfish. You gotta do what you have to do! I am 100 percent pro sexual education.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
There are various methods.

Dilation and Curettage (D and C)

This is similar to a suction procedure except a curette, a loop-shaped steel knife is inserted into the uterus. The baby and placenta are cut into pieces and scraped out into a basin. Bleeding is usually very heavy with this method.
And since the fetus would already have been dead via the lethal injection it was given no matter what the extraction method, what's this "have it be merciful and give it a lethal injection after its birth" thing?

Also, where did you get the quote? There are misspellings. That always makes anything "medical" suspect to me. In addition, are you sure a 15-week fetus would be evacuated using a D&C? I thought that was for earlier procedures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies