Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 02:04 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
Do you know what Mexicans and Latin Americans call US citizens when they are in their countries? Gringo.... What's good for the goose is goose for the gander.

Doesn't make either of them right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 02:05 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Doesn't make either of them right.
People, Gringo is not a bad word. If you went to Mexico you would call yourself a Gringo and be fine with it.

Someone from Latin America would NOT call themselves a Sp*c in America. Highly offensive.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:07 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Do you think it is on par with Sp*c? which is defined as an ethnic slur?

Here is what someone from Mexico would say: "You call us Mexicans we call you Gringos". Is that offensive?
"Offensiveness" is viewed from the perspective of the person against whom the word is launched.

Mexicans could call us "Americans"... but choose a word that has negative connotations for Americans, particularly, white Americans.

How many times have you hashed this argument out with white Americans? Obviously, many think it's offensive. If you continue to use it, knowing it's offensive, then you are guilty of using slurs.

Point of reference:

The Racial Slur Database

Gringo as a racial slur: This is truly only derogatory in regions of northern Mexico and in the United States where it translates to "white foreigner." Gringo/a in many other countries in Latin America really only translates as "foreigner" without a pejorative connotation. Is generally used to refer to all foreigners/tourists of apparently northern European descent. Some say it comes from Spanish "griego" (meaning Greek) which used to be used to refer to anything foreign. Others say it comes from hearing Americans sing the popular song "Green Grow the Rushes" (unlikely though). Yet others believe it comes from when soldiers were in South America and they all wore green outfits, and they would say, "Green Go."

When Mexicans (particularly, Americans of Mexican descent) IN America use the word "Gringo" there is nothing BUT a negative connotation because a) there's no reason for them to say it in the "foreigner" context, and b) because it IS often used perjoratively.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:09 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
People can make any word or set of words sound offensive. That doesn't change that:

(Sp*c for hispanics = N-word for blacks) =/= Gringo (for whites).

Not on the same level.

Anyways...

Old 04-16-2010, 02:12 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
People can make any word or set of words sound offensive. That doesn't change that:

Not on the same level.

Anyways...

Um, no.... sp*c is not even close to being on the same level as the N-word!

But yeah, "anyways!"

Old 04-16-2010, 02:13 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
"Offensiveness" is viewed from the perspective of the person against whom the word is launched.

Mexicans could call us "Americans"... but choose a word that has negative connotations for Americans, particularly, white Americans.

How many times have you hashed this argument out with white Americans? Obviously, many think it's offensive. If you continue to use it, knowing it's offensive, then you are guilty of using slurs.

Point of reference:

The Racial Slur Database

Gringo as a racial slur: This is truly only derogatory in regions of northern Mexico and in the United States where it translates to "white foreigner." Gringo/a in many other countries in Latin America really only translates as "foreigner" without a pejorative connotation. Is generally used to refer to all foreigners/tourists of apparently northern European descent. Some say it comes from Spanish "griego" (meaning Greek) which used to be used to refer to anything foreign. Others say it comes from hearing Americans sing the popular song "Green Grow the Rushes" (unlikely though). Yet others believe it comes from when soldiers were in South America and they all wore green outfits, and they would say, "Green Go."

When Mexicans (particularly, Americans of Mexican descent) IN America use the word "Gringo" there is nothing BUT a negative connotation because a) there's no reason for them to say it in the "foreigner" context, and b) because it IS often used perjoratively.
Wrong

grin·gos Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a foreigner in Latin America, especially an American or English person.

No mention of race. Unless you consider American to be a race.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:15 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,322 times
Quote:

Not on the same level.

Anyways...
It will always be racist no matter how the speaker says it. It goes for all races.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Hmmm I have never thought of gringo as being an offensive slur. I don't think I will change my mind on that one. I don't feel the least bit offended. I have heard plenty of racist slurs from the illegal immigrants and Mexicans in this country yet I have never heard or seen a left winger speak against them. One of the reasons I could care less what someone wrote on a blog.

When the left wingers and Mexicans call the others on the carpet for their racist rants, I will care when someone does it on the other side.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardonaye View Post
SPRINGBORO — Racist comments, including a slur about Hispanics, posted on the Twitter page of the Springboro Tea Party were particularly hurtful to Alana Turner.“Illegals everywhere today! So many spics makes me feel like a speck. Grrr. Wheres my gun!?” said the March 21 posting on the site managed by the group’s founder, Sonny Thomas.
Turner said the comments upset her because she and Thomas have a 6-year-old son who is part Hispanic.
“Basically, it’s like he’s saying he hates his son,” Turner said.

Racial slur by Tea Party leader hits home
I would not expect any better from the tea people. A bunch of whiners and losers. Out yesterday griping about taxes when 99% of them are paying less not than they did under Bush. Silly.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:03 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Keep on making excuses for the racist tea party members
I am from mexico and I will keep on defending the tea party.you people from the left are always trying to drive a wedge between peoples.we hispanic dont buy your b.s. any longer.the man you sopport as your president is a communist a chavez,a casto we know those kind of people we dont like them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies