Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in American Exceptionalism?
yes 28 56.00%
no 22 44.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:50 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
When you get a chance, read a few books on WWl.
I have already. John Keegan good enough for you?

Your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 12:52 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I can only remember one American president before Obama with no backbone...

Jimmy Carter.

And he was the last democrat president we had. Speaks volumes don't it?
So you slept during the Clinton years, eh? And it's "doesn't it". Hmm...

Old 04-16-2010, 12:56 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Listen up, American Exceptionalism , The belief that we live in the greatest country in the history of the world , we are and should be the one single super power Militarily and economically, we are an example for every other country in the world to follow in Freedom, Charity, Entrepreneurialism. We are unique because of our Constitution and the fact that people are coming in to our Country like no other because of it.
Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me.

That is ONLY your opinion. And your opinion IS NOT FACT.

I'm gonna argue that Greece is that greatest nation in the world because they invented democracy, so there.

How dare you write to me like that, I will not be patronized.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:56 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Just because I wrote "she," you think I'm talking about you? If there were a drug for self-centeredness, that's what I'd prescribe.

LOL I have never ascribed the word WE to mean just me. A dictionary is what I would prescribe.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:57 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,514,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
I hate the idea of exceptionalism because it's lazy and ultimately self-defeating. The problem with the US over the past 30 years has been the persistent "we're #1, and if you don't like it, leave" mentality which essentially grounds the country from moving forward. Because hey, why fix what ain't broken?

Instead of attacking those who want changes, we should always be asking HOW we can make this country better.
I agree, but I also recognize we play a special role in the world.

Is there room for both?

Old 04-16-2010, 12:58 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
*** pops a prozac *** to satisfy the libs - I'd never be one to knock big pharma.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:00 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
American Exceptionalism.
Yes I believe in it. With just my personal passions and hobbies I often enjoy in past American exceptionalism and inovation, that being guitars and firearms.

While there are many fine guitars out there, some of which are made not in America, the American made Fender and Gibson still has a legendary quality and status that all around the world still prefere a American made. Then there is the music, blues, R&B, rock, which America or Americans mostly created.

Everytime I shoot my single action revolver, or my Winchester rifle, or my M1 Garand I shoot a firearm designed and innovated by a American and had a huge effect on world events.

I also believe in the exceptionalism of America's founding document, the declaration of independence, that was worded in a way that would ultimately allow all to be equal in basic rights, doing away with classism by birth.

However I have tempered my beliefs in recent times compared to before, I once blindly fell into the belief that America is #1 badass always, which is ultra patriotism. I have have come to realize that being ultra in anything is being close minded, and some will manipulate you using it , like blindly supporting a war for instance. Ultra patriotism (or ultra partisan politics, or religion) leads to a belief that you are superior always, that those around you mean less, if they don't agree with you. That the end justifies the means.

I see it happening again when some say use our military on the Mexican border to combat drugs, they think that no matter what our military can win in any situation. And they fail or refuse to question American policy which might be the root problem of it.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:01 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
American Exceptionalism might sound good to people who want to pat themselves on the back, but to the rest of the world, we are arrogant creeps who do terrible things around the globe. History proves that the country that claims exceptionalism gets beaten down handily in the end.

In order to function optimally, it is best if all involved share resources and live by our well-intentioned but apparently completely disregarded idea that "all men are created equal". Why do we abandon that concept at the national level? Doesn't such hypocrisy add to our sullied reputation abroad? We say one thing but do exactly the opposite.

My country, indeed any country, would only be exceptional to me when it knows it is part of a larger collective, it respects others as equals, it puts nature and the planet in their deserved lofty spot, it provides its citizens the freedom of expression, it doesn't waste resources, it lives peacefully, and its leaders know how to lead by example rather than by decree. We are nowhere near that. "Close" isn't good enough, all it does is encourage complacency. You can't possibly say we're the greatest when our population is stupid, ignorant, and as obese as it is right now,

Ahhh another America lover dreaming of collective thought. Is collective thought exceptional?

Jealousy is what most other countries have of America. We would be a better country if all the haters moved to the country of their dreams.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:04 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,196,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
<snip>We would be a better country if all the haters moved to the country of their dreams.
I agree, where you moving to?

Old 04-16-2010, 01:06 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Americans are exceptional.

Period.

What other nation in history will kick your tail in a fight after bombing your country, feed you and then pay to rebuild it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies