Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:19 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Sort of makes these bitter elderly white men at Tea Parties look foolish doesn't it?

Federal Income Taxes on Middle-Income Families at Historically Low Levels — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
It's a cute way to manipulate statistics, by limiting the review of US income taxes to only look at the period since 1955 and up to 1996. Why not look back to when the Country was founded, when there was NO income tax?

Here's some history: "In order to help pay for its war effort in the American Civil War, the United States government imposed its first personal income tax, on August 5, 1861, as part of the Revenue Act of 1861 (3% of all incomes over US $800)...In 1894, Democrats in Congress passed the Wilson-Gorman tariff, which imposed the first peacetime income tax. The rate was 2% on income over $4000, which meant fewer than 10% of households would pay any." Income tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm glad there are people who will stand up and say that "enough is enough," because government has proven beyond a shadow a doubt that it will incrementally will continue to increase the tax burden (and consequently, its own power) until every single paycheck will be sent directly to Washington, so that they can take whatever they want first. And if they can't spend/waste it all, you can have a few pennies back.

Think that won't happen? Before federal withholding, I bet nobody thought that could happen either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 06:22 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,191 times
Yeah, what's up with this ridiculous statistical manipulation, not looking at America in the 19th and 18th century?! Why can't we go back to the way things were back then?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:29 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Yeah, what's up with this ridiculous statistical manipulation, not looking at America in the 19th and 18th century?! Why can't we go back to the way things were back then?
The nation wasn't founded on the idea of high income taxes. We don't have to have them. You're playing into the hands of the idiots in Washington that can't limit their spending to $1 trillion a year, but have to borrow so much that the Country has no future...

And yet I suppose you think we can tax our way out of federal overspending?

Old 04-18-2010, 02:00 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSO View Post
I regret dignifying your post with a reply. This was obviously a waste of time.
Don't worry, there is nothing anyone could do to dignify that post. It's total lack of dignity stands firmly on it's own childish lack of merit.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:05 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The libs screaming "tax the rich" have no clue; the rich will NOT be paying more taxes.
Their money is hedged to escape taxes.
You think they have their millions/billions sitting in a bank in a CD or MM or something ?

Honestly. The sucker class (middle class) will be the ones footing the bill just as they always have in the past.
It is not taxing them that is inportant it is making them hide their income that matters. The hiding of it is what makes the changes in where the economy grows.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:11 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times

YouTube - Stevie Ray Vaughan - Taxman

Old 04-18-2010, 02:38 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
Just a suggestion, wouldn't it be a good time to cut out the outsourcing of jobs that continue and do something to bring back some of the companys that have left the US?
I mean, wouldn't that help the tax burden we now have in the US?

Also, how about we start taxing companys like EXXON-MOBILE who pay no US taxes, especially since they have record breaking profits?

Old 04-18-2010, 02:49 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Sort of makes these bitter elderly white men at Tea Parties look foolish doesn't it?

Federal Income Taxes on Middle-Income Families at Historically Low Levels — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Kind of doesnt mean anything.....Everything else is up and going up further....so even if I did believe this article (which I dont) it really is pointless.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:39 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Just a suggestion, wouldn't it be a good time to cut out the outsourcing of jobs that continue and do something to bring back some of the companys that have left the US?
I mean, wouldn't that help the tax burden we now have in the US?

Also, how about we start taxing companys like EXXON-MOBILE who pay no US taxes, especially since they have record breaking profits?
Lets just tax the hell out of those corporations and watch them allow us to pay their taxes for them with higher prices for what they produce. Yep, that is what you are suggesting and I think that Obama has installed at least 14 new taxes on us in the health care law, recently passed. Now add them all up and you will see that we don't need higher prices brought on by what you suggest to break us up.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:41 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Kind of doesnt mean anything.....Everything else is up and going up further....so even if I did believe this article (which I dont) it really is pointless.
Hey, THEY believe that when the Congress got so nice and provided us with some tax credits for one year that they actually cut our taxes. THEY just don't see anything but income tax which is all that Obama talks about, but they will find themselves paying all the other taxes they are going to stack on us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies