Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:04 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times

Advertisements

Seriously. People take things way too personally on here.

It's a political forum. If you don't like what you are reading, go to another one. Or find something else to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 12:29 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Trust me, people see what is happening. When we say that some countries are with the terrorists unless they do what US says, they notice. How could they not? Heck, even Bush knew it, and apologized when he knew he crossed the line.
You'll have to cite that one, because I can not find it. I'll show you what I did find though.

Quote:
washingtonpost.com: Bush Apologizes, Calls Abuse 'Stain' on Nation
Bush spoke in the Rose Garden with King Abdullah of Jordan at his side and said he had assured the king in an Oval Office meeting that "Americans, like me, didn't appreciate what we saw, that it made us sick to our stomachs."

"I told him I was sorry for the humiliation suffered by the Iraqi prisoners, and the humiliation suffered by their families," Bush said. "I told him I was equally sorry that people who have been seeing those pictures didn't understand the true nature and heart of America."

A wide variety of officials in the administration had advised Bush to apologize on Wednesday when he gave interviews to two Arab television channels and were puzzled when he did not, senior U.S. officials said. An apology had been recommended in the talking points Bush received from the State Department and elsewhere, the officials said. Senior administration aides then made a push overnight for him to say he was sorry during his news conference with Abdullah, the officials said.
Quotes from, Bush senior before there was a President Obama to talk about:
Quote:
George H. W. Bush - Wikiquote
  • We must never apologize for the United States of America.
  • "I will never apologize for the United States," the Vice President declared recently. "I will stand up for her."
  • "I'm not an apologize-for-America kind of guy."
  • If I am elected president, I will never apologize for the United States. I will strengthen her and make her a beacon of freedom and liberty!
  • My view, is let Mike Dukakis go around there and talk about pink slips, despair, pessimism in the United States. I'll be the guy out there talking about hope and opportunity and challenge, and the fact that the United States is the best, the fairest, the most decent nation on the face of the earth. Let them apologize for America, and let me lead her to new greatness.
  • "Bush, who ... came of age in World War II, instinctively identified with the crew members and captain on the Vincennes. He said he would not apologize for the incident. "I will never apologize for the United States of America!" he frequently declares in campaign speeches."
Also, what you are saying is that we have declared ourselves a bully to other countries. Believe it or not, there are even people in the United States that are harboring terrorists. Are we a bully if we bring them to justice?

We did not start this. I firmly believe that if President Bush had not acted that the people of the U.S. would have come back with a, why isn't he doing something about what just happened? However, we will never know will we, because the fact is he went in, sink or swim.

He could have done that another way, but he was forthcoming with his actions. Personally, I think he should have done it, the other way.

This ended up being a comparison between one President and another and it shouldn't be. It should be a comparison on us and what we believe in as individuals. And so it is...

I have to stay with my core principle beliefs and stand up for America even under President Obama. I can't not do that. It all boils down to respect and if you look up that word, it means love. And for the love of America I will stand up for her, no matter what. If President Obama has love for America, he will follow suit.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:21 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I don't know about any one else, but any time I ever admit to a mistake, the people around me, loose trust in my judgment. Then I end up forever having to try and re-prove myself again.

So Obama has "apologized" or called to attention "mistakes" American people have made? Then he has, judging from my experience with such action, lost the trust of the world that the American people in their abilities to lead.

We know our government, there's no need for him to run and tell the world about it. From where I sit, that makes him the leader of the pack.
A strong leader is someone who is strong enough to admit when mistakes are made.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:57 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Basically, Obama apologized to the world for having to endure that retard-in-chief, Bush - and we all SHOULD be apologizing to the world for that one...

Old 04-18-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
A strong leader is someone who is strong enough to admit when mistakes are made.
Is that why the one that makes the most and calls attention to them, get promoted in the work place?

Old 04-18-2010, 01:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
This ended up being a comparison between one President and another and it shouldn't be.
Then why did you do it? I didn't compre the two, I only said that even Bush realized some of his mistakes and apoligized. He apologized to Italy after he insulted their president, and to USA, and to the whole world for messing up in Iraq.

Quote:
Looking back on his eight years in the White House, President George W. Bush said he was "unprepared" for war and pinpointed incorrect intelligence that Iraqi President Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction as "biggest regret of all the presidency."

Old 04-18-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Then why did you do it? I didn't compre the two, I only said that even Bush realized some of his mistakes and apoligized. He apologized to Italy after he insulted their president, and to USA, and to the whole world for messing up in Iraq.
You brought President's Bush comments and behaviors into the conversation, so I followed suit, first in trying to find that apology.
Did you find that in the Huffington Post? I regrett having married my husband too, but I'm not apologizing to the kids that I did it. Without him, my children would not be apart of my life. Intelligence, people told me not to marry him, but I did it any way...

Basically what this boils down to in the admitting to mistakes and calling attention to them is corporate politics. As my professional secretarial instructor, instructed us, back in 1992, "fix your mistakes, do not call attention to them". There is a good reason why that is.

These are not mistakes that Obama has made that he is calling attention to...but the mistakes of prior administrations. If we see those perhaps we won't see his. Also, if we become accustomed to seeing them, then we won't ever see a problem now will we. However, Obama has not made any mistakes by any definition of the word now has he.

He is the most intelligent person in the room.

It isn't wrong until some one says it's wrong. Funny how that seems to work out.

You know the drill, there isn't any of us that hasn't been on the receiving in of critical recognition over the errors we have made in our life in both the work place and personal. Those closest to us and those not so close all stand in judgment as to our creditability as human beings and our abilities to succeed.

As Americans and as a team we stand strong in defiance or we get our buts kicked on the playing field. The end result will let us know if we made any mistakes or not.

This is America we either stand united, or we don't stand at all. Divided nations don't stand a chance.

Quote:
Success is not measured by what you do compared to what others do, it is measured by what you do with the ability God gave you.
~Zig Ziglar~

Old 04-18-2010, 03:36 PM

Since you won't let Bush go, here is him apologizing to the Arabs and the whole world

FOXNews.com - Bush Apologizes for Iraqi Prisoner Abuse - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

WASHINGTON — President Bush on Thursday apologized for the "humiliation" some Iraqi prisoners suffered at the hands of U.S. troops as he said that Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld (search) is safe in his job.

At a Rose Garden press conference following a White House meeting with Jordan's King Abdullah (search), Bush offered his first direct apology over the prison issue.

"I told him I was sorry for the humiliation suffered by the Iraqi prisoners and the humiliation suffered by their families," Bush said.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:38 PM

And here is Bush apologizing for the exonomic collapse. At least he was man enough to admit it

Bush apologizes for financial crisis, but says the economy will recover - Yahoo! Canada Finance

WASHINGTON - President George W. Bush expressed remorse that the global financial crisis has cost jobs and harmed retirement accounts and said he'll back more government intervention if needed to ease the recession.

"I'm sorry it's happening, of course," Bush said in a wide-ranging interview with ABC's "World News," airing Monday. "Obviously I don't like the idea of people losing jobs, or being worried about their 401(k)s. On the other hand, the American people got to know that we will safeguard the system. I mean, we're in. And if we need to be in more, we will."

Old 04-18-2010, 03:41 PM

Bush aplologizing to Iraqis for behavior of US troops.

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- President Bush has apologized to Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki for an American soldier shooting at a Quran, the prime minister's office said.

President Bush called Nuri al-Maliki over the incident, al-Maliki's office says. The leaders are seen in September.

Bush made the call to al-Maliki on Tuesday morning, the office said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies