Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:41 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
All closet homos should come out...

People need to know who is who...

Most homos hide it & marry women...
Very true! This happens a lot in Evangelical areas like the South and states like Utah. Their family will disown them and they will become social pariahs so they marry women, have kids and then have affairs in private. It's not secret what's going on when a highly effiminate guy from the South has a wife and 4 kids and is devoutly Baptist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
I'm going to address this to those on here capable of compassion and taking a minute to walk in another's shoes. For the un-empathetic, sociopathic hate-mongers who roam these boards - just skip over this one.

Image you're a 10, 11, or 12 year old gay kid (standard age for becoming aware of one's sexuality). Now image as a 10, 11, or 12 year old gay kid you KNOW that there is something horribly wrong with you being gay. Everything - your parents, your peers at school, the media, the TV, your church - tells you that you are wrong, unnatural, incorrect, and in need of fixing. Image not having a single positive gay role model out there saying "It's okay - you're normal, there are hundreds of millions of other like you, you're loved for who you are, and you don't need to change." Image keeping it secret and praying every singe day for years (even a decade or longer) that the unchangeable about you will magically change. Image the amount of internalized shame and self-hatred. No child is equipped to handle this.

Things are changing, but that's the situation for every gay person you meet older than say 25. I have yet to meet a gay person 25 or older who as a teenager didn't either try to kill him or herself or at least didn't seriously consider it.

Any celebrity or public person who comes out publicly is a positive role model for gay kids everywhere to look up to. As I said earlier, they serve as a light in the darkness. For each positive gay role model out there, fewer gay kids will turn to self-destructive acts such as drug and alcohol abuse and suicide. Daniel Kowalski is a big celebrity in Australia, and by coming out he most certainly is saving lives.
I'm going to address this to those on here capable of compassion and taking a minute to walk in another's shoes. For the un-empathetic, sociopathic hate-mongers who roam these boards - just skip over this one.

I did as ordered. Now can I go back and read your post just to see what you had to say?

Old 04-18-2010, 11:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why?

Anything factual to support that ?
Must I supply names and addresses as examples of what the man said? I guess I will just skip on but I have known a goodly number of men who did just what he said and eventually came out of the closet. Come to think of it most of them had girls as children.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:50 PM

608 posts, read 923,881 times
Although I think that the gay community tends to be a little too vocal on some things from time to time, I'll also admit that I have no idea what it must be like to be or grow up gay. That being said, if younger gay people choose this Australin medalist as a positive role model, then I think it should be viewed in a possitive light, especially if those inspired don't end up bringing pain to themselves or thier loved ones. All younger people choose a role model, or someone to look up to so I'm not sure why this news has gotten such pointed reaction.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:05 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Why is it SO important for people of the gay lifestyle
feel that we need to know this

Get on with your life...PLEASE !
I have many gay friends, But i am a happily married women of many many years. But as i understand it with gay people, they cannot get on with their lifes, until they come to grips or terms with who they are, which is sometimes very hard for them to come to terms with, look at this society, would you want to come out, look how People judge them, would you want to be judged, they cannot have the same life as a Man and a Women. Regardless if you think it is wrong or right, They cannot get on with their lifes because like you or me, They cannot be and marry the one they love, as you or me.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:43 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
All closet homos should come out...

People need to know who is who...
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Must I supply names and addresses as examples of what the man said? I guess I will just skip on but I have known a goodly number of men who did just what he said and eventually came out of the closet. Come to think of it most of them had girls as children.
Perhaps you folks would prefer to simplify and require all gays to wear little yellow stars with 'HOMO' printed in the middle?

Last edited by burdell; 04-19-2010 at 05:15 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 05:32 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Perhaps you folks would prefer to simplify and require all gays to wear little yellow stars with 'HOMO' printed in the middle?
Oh the drama
I think many gays would prefer to wear yellow stars if it made a recognized statement about their sexuality.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:13 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Oh the drama
I think many gays would prefer to wear yellow stars if it made a recognized statement about their sexuality.

I think many would prefer a bright target for their bias and hatred

Old 04-19-2010, 06:17 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I don't understand the need to go public with who you are as an individual. Tell the people who know you and love you. The rest of us just see your accomplishment and applaud it. Do you swim better than everybody else because you are gay or despite the fact that you are gay? No, you are just the best because you worked hard at it and deserved to win. That should be the message to all kids..."This is what you have to do to be successful like me."

Old 04-19-2010, 06:19 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
I think many would prefer a bright target for their bias and hatred
Maybe.
I don't see why gays couldn't wear both if they so desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies