Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 07:23 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I'm a Libertarian now, since the Republicans abandoned fiscal responsibility a long time ago. The less money the government takes from me, the better. Also, the less money government spends, the better.
Wouldn't you want to do some sort of utility comparison as between the next dollar's worth of private sector goods and the next dollar's worth of public sector goods? You know, many developed countries have chosen to take twice as much in terms of public sector goods and services as we do. Why would they do that?

Quote:
At the same time everyone working now knows that the age when you can start to collect Social Security will continue to be raised...
The only time retirement ages were changed was 1983. Reagan-era.

Quote:
Government produces nothing, it takes from $100 one person to give to $20 another (you have to pay the cost of the bureaucracy).
Then the private sector doesn't produce anything either. They do exactly the same thing. They just call the people whose money they take "consumers" instead of "taxpayers". (It's actually the very same people either way, of course.)

Quote:
The problem is never a reduction in the amount government takes out of my pocket (and everyone else's, at a hundred different levels and points in the economic system), but in the fact that if you gave the Federal government a HUNDRED trillion a year, they'd find a way to spend it all, borrow tons more, and print even more.
Sounds a lot like generic whining to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 07:28 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,533,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
I am a Republican but this is not really a political issue. It says a lot about the people generally. Most American's have the idea of borrowing at much as you can and paying it later or maybe not having to pay it at all. The President's have really no concern about the debt because it has become just a part of the world economy. The national debt will cause major problems in the next several years (I think) but it is a case of "out of sight, out of mind".

As far as the birth certificate goes, I find it bothersome that so many people want to trust a President who won't show that he is qualified to hold the office. I belive he does quality, but if you will hide the big stuff, what damaging small stuff will be hide from us? Got to love that transparent Obama!!!

Charles
It is about respect. No white POTUS has been asked to show his BC so why is he being asked. It is nothing but racist hate that makes people try to find something to degrade this President. No one else in history ever was even questioned.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:33 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,518,860 times
[quote=saganista;13812672

Why not just tax capital gains as ordinary income then?[/quote]

that's right a higher tax rate for anyone who invests, even the little guy needs to be punished. very remedial

Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
There was no surplus. The debt under Clinton was higher when he left office than when he entered. So, by definition, there was no surplus.
You so completely don't undertand what you are talking about. Your analysis is confabulated garbage. Here is the simple version: In each year from FY1998 through FY2001, actual cash receipts by everybody in the government exceeded actual cash outlays by everybody in the government. That is the definition of a surplus. Clinton ran four of them, and used the proceeds of the first three to pay down $363 billion worth of debt held by the public. He was on track to pay down more, but then Bush came a long and didn't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
And Obama is the one that is running record deficits. Not republicans.
Not by choice, which is what the Republicans did. The Great Bush Recession has seriously cut into federal receipts while serious emergency outlays have been necessary to help support aggregate demand. The latter are working and the economy is growing again, but we will have significant deficits to deal with until this recovery becomes self-sustaining. Maybe your Republican friends should have thought about all this before leading us down the path that they did.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
that's right a higher tax rate for anyone who invests, even the little guy needs to be punished. very remedial
It just puts long-term gains on the same basis as short-term gains, and it sounds like what you were calling for.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:44 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,518,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
It just puts long-term gains on the same basis as short-term gains, and it sounds like what you were calling for.
there we go, an agreement.

still feel we need to make sure income category amounts just like the tax tables would be included as to not penalized unjustly lower income earners.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 PM

968 posts, read 2,625,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
there we go, an agreement.

still feel we need to make sure income category amounts just like the tax tables would be included as to not penalized unjustly lower income earners.
really? penalize them? they pay 0 percent in taxes!!! MAKE THEM PAY TAXES!

i pay 37.5% in taxes, i find the tax tables UNFAIR because the bottom bracket has a big fat 0!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:52 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
There's a qualitative difference -- Bush ran large deficits when he had no reason. Obama has run large deficts when he had no choice. Throw out Obama's emergency spending to deal with the Great Bush Recession, and the current President has cut the rate of growth in federal spending in half.
So Obama HAD TO start a new war in Afghanistan, while continuing the Bush war in Iraq? He couldn't have said to himself, "I believe in spending for social programs and I'll have more money for them if I don't do the Republican thing of starting idiotic wars in foreign countries to distract the masses from the collapse of the US economy?"

Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,320,466 times
Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, in America pays taxes. Of course, Republicans want to pretend the income tax is the only tax because it is just about the only progressive tax we have left. In fact when originally created it was ONLY a tax on the top 2% though it has been expanded considerably since then. The truth is not paying income taxes doesn't mean someone doesn't pay taxes but feel free to continue the lies and spin as facts never seem to matter to our right wing friends.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:08 PM

968 posts, read 2,625,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, in America pays taxes. Of course, Republicans want to pretend the income tax is the only tax because it is just about the only progressive tax we have left. In fact when originally created it was ONLY a tax on the top 2% though it has been expanded considerably since then. The truth is not paying income taxes doesn't mean someone doesn't pay taxes but feel free to continue the lies and spin as facts never seem to matter to our right wing friends.
ok ok ok i understand what you mean, sales tax, everything else tax, yes the poor do pay taxes, but my little brother didn't pay ANYTHING in taxes this year and he got a nice big fat return!

its not a lie, the tax liability of a person earning under 20,000 is $40 look it up. so i'm not wrong when i say they don't pay taxes on april 15th. $40 is not 40%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies