Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:35 PM

712 posts, read 1,369,467 times

Advertisements

1. Fine, we all start life and have to go to school and learn so we can one day get a job, but does it have to be 8 hours a day? Does it have to be 12 grades and then college? Seems too much of our life is wasted sitting down somewhere for nothing. You take a high school graduate vs a dropout and they both end up working at the same McDonalds - no difference. You see my point?
  2. We either go to college or not and get a job and we still end up working 40 hours a week and some of us that have kids and families etc hardly have anytime to be together. Why does it matter what you degree you get or what career you follow if you don't have time to enjoy life? Who cares if you like your job or not, the point is that you dont have a choice - you need the money. Why cant we work less hours in america, what is so bad about a 30 hour work week like they have in Europe?
  3. The little time we have to be at home, we either go out to eat and pay outrageous prices, or watch a movie or two at a theater and waste $50 to $100+ and to top it off we have to watch stupid commercials.
  4. Everywhere you go you are reminded that you can't be fat, you have to be physically fit, eat healthy and join a gym and of course watch out for terrorists.
  5. At home you watch TV and get "entertained" by channels like CNN, Fox and MSNBC. You pay for 500 channels on either cable or satellite and most of them are crap, like home shopping or garbage. Then you have mindless reality TV shows that they spoon feed to us because apparently we americans are easy to entertain. Only good channels nowadays are like Discovery channel. But in reality we watch tons of commercials and have no choice in the matter - why cant we opt out like we can with "do not call" lists? Why cant we opt out for junk mail that we have to pay to throw away?
  6. Why are these damn gas prices going up and down all the time? Why cant they charge 18-wheelers the most money for gas instead and just pass that cost down to the goods being sold?
  7. Why is music like rap music ruined by going "bubble gum"? Why cant anything pure be kept that way instead of being commercialized to make the most money?
  8. Credit cards are evil and you should never get one. Also if you can never finance a car, instead save up and buy it cash if you can. Thanks to Reagan we now need credit to survive but we don't have to own everything we see in those commercials we are paying to see. Anything that comes with fine print is bad. Bastards.
  9. There is nothing wrong with gambling, playing lotto, smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol or even certain drugs like marijuana. As long as things are done with moderation - we as a society don't need to be told not to do these things or be taught they are bad. These are social things and they should not be frowned on or limited.
  10. Yes we still have a few freedoms left in america. But most though are going away slowly, like smoking in public, going on a plane without getting nude first, text messaging at a red light or using a phone in a car while driving (like the cops do). Running a stop sign that really didn't belong there in the first place - just because some idiot put it there. Then you have red light cameras everywhere. In other words we dont have the benefit of the doubt anymore, no more discretion. It's: You are guilty by default. OK maybe the stop sign thing was stupid to mention, but you get the idea.
You are reading this and you either AGREE or probably think I am crazy. It's OK if you think I am crazy because maybe you are OK with the way things are in life. More power to you, but I am sure one day you will feel trapped or lost.

Think about all this, when you are a senior citizen, none of what you did in school or did for a living will matter except that you have people around you that love you. Of course and that you have some money put away to spend $100 at the movies with your grand kids. That's all you need in the end, love, just like John Lennon said.

Last edited by 2goldens; 04-19-2010 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 PM

10,219 posts, read 17,984,916 times
I think a lot of people today are spoiled... when I think about the lives my ancestors lived and the work they had to do, it reminds me my life is pretty good and I'm not going to ruin it by being a cynical moaner.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,169,662 times
Life isn't bad!

It's a hellava good time!

You need to check out Misty's Proverb of the Day~
"The greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not our circumstances."

Old 04-19-2010, 01:26 PM

712 posts, read 1,369,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
when I think about the lives my ancestors lived and the work they had to do
Seriously, how would you know that they were not happy? I bet they were!

Old 04-19-2010, 02:38 PM

16,744 posts, read 17,521,139 times
Thirty hours a week in Europe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where the heck did you hear that?

BTW I liked school, I enjoy learning and I enjoy my job- I can't be alone on that.

I use a button to mute the advertisments- sorted- and do things in my spare time that doesn't cost much. Oh, and we do something called cooking.

I agree with No. 4.

Gas prices- try $7 for the equivilant of a US gallon here.

And as you say, all you need is love (and a State Health System).

Old 04-19-2010, 02:55 PM

13,137 posts, read 22,890,823 times
Some days I get like that too, and think about selling and/or dumping everything I own and retreating from the world.

But then I remember there is a lot of good stuff mixed in with the bad that comes from living in this day and age.... and that maybe, just maybe... it all comes out even in the end.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:01 PM

20,391 posts, read 20,035,053 times
IMO, I think I've got life by the a**. Loving wife, loving son, good job, eat well, drink well, sleep well, no debt other than a mortgage, drive what I enjoy.....I could go on but there's other threads to visit.

Good luck.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,354,911 times
I love my life.
I take the good and don't involve myself in things that I don't enjoy.
I travel almost every weekend, have friends, listen to music I enjoy, read books that I choose, enjoy my job.

I envy my life, and I'm living it.

So nope, I don't think any of those things make life bad. It is what it is.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:04 PM

10,228 posts, read 16,350,596 times
Well, I'm NO Pollyanna; in fact, I'm a self-confessed pessimist. I do think life is difficult.

But I do think it's supposed to be difficult; otherwise, we learn nothing about lessons in Life.

On the other hand, I do think a lot of Americans work WAY too much, and there's a general guilt about being laid-back and bored for awhile. It's a mortal sin in the US.

And I agree that we're losing a lot of freedoms from too much government control.

As for music, I think both (c)rap and bubbles are equally bad, and to me pop music has gone down the crapper ever since. But they have their audience.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:07 PM

38,857 posts, read 25,648,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I think a lot of people today are spoiled... when I think about the lives my ancestors lived and the work they had to do, it reminds me my life is pretty good and I'm not going to ruin it by being a cynical moaner.

And we should never forget that we owe all of our comfort and convenience to the toil of the generations that preceded us. Our purpose should be to provide some advancements for succeeding generations.

Our current obsession with pursuing unsustainable growth is something we have to come to terms with, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies