Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you changed your political stance on something based on another posters comment?
Yes I have. 3 8.33%
No, I have not. 18 50.00%
Not exactly, but I may have gathered another interesting perspective about whatever was brought up. 15 41.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 07:29 AM

968 posts, read 2,632,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
i have learned so much from this forum, i'm happy to have associated with the amazing people here.

sometimes i'm a nutjob, other times i'm neutral, but with every debate you simply cannot help but respect the passion and intense emotion that is brought to the table. sometimes there rancor, sometimes it gets wild, and boy do we have some characters here, but thats why we always come back, right guys?

whether we're left or right, up or down, gay or straight, we're all one big family, and we keep coming back for more.
leave it to me to go on a love and peace tirade after a bowl of cheerios
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 07:52 AM

2,573 posts, read 2,500,303 times
180 degrees change no,slight changes due to influence yes...

Old 04-20-2010, 11:51 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,830,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
I don't believe I have ever experienced so many hateful and intentionally demeaning posters on any forum ever.

Very seldom is anything about debate, or even legitimate arguments,
its become "I am right, you are wrong and stupid".

Actually sort of sad, the lack of civility.
I agree to a point. A good deal of decent people avoid the political forum, and I know a few who left cd getting the wrong taste in their mouth once to often over that kind of behavior. I doubt highly that any blog out there is immune. The internet is the place to exist without consequences of any kind if you'll did deeper into the mentality. When I come across these characters, I cannot help but empathize with (most) mods charged with policing grown children. That chore is largely thankless, and maybe CD ought to declare a mod appreciation day hahahaaa.

As for the OP-- I usually go out of my way to hear out all sides fairly, but a tipping point for me is hateful behavior that prematurely speeds up a conclusion of the opposite. Unacceptable anywhere in my life, even online, and thank goodness for the ignore feature.

I rarely look at the world in terms of absolutes. I do not believe any ideology package is perfect, or that they can achieve one size fits all. I think more in terms of appropriate tools applied to a properly defined problem. People selling their self imposed political box all the time are empty handed to my taste. I'm not in this forum to sell something, but approach it more along the lines of accumulating and sharing a larger mass of insight to navigate the endless shades of gray.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:57 AM

38,758 posts, read 22,548,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I'm curious if anyone here has been influenced by something somebody else said in a post here on city data. If you have, please tell us why and what was said. Also describe how it changed your particular view on that issue.
I have been discussing in forums like this for ten years, and in that time i have moderated some of my views by learning from those on the other side of an issue. I'm always open to a different view as long as the person can present a good case and not turn it into a duel of words and gotcha politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies