Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 28,020 times

Advertisements

I'm getting depressed just turning on the local news and watching every segment being about how to be the biggest cheap a## in town, cut coupons, try to rip off some business and get their product for free, etc..

Just a few years ago it was so much better when it seemed like every news segment and news showcase focused on exotic cars, luxury travel, what the wealthy were doing, etc. It was very motivational to see what one could strive to be just by reading about those who made it..

Why does it seem like the average Joe has lost all motivation to start a company and strive for the best in life, or just focus on the best things in life? All I hear is b.s. about losers not able to find jobs, gas prices, and what they can get without working..

I bought a Ferrari three years ago and up until last year I would always get a ton of congratulations and thumbs up at gas stations because I'm only 27 (now, was 24 when I bought it). In the last year I've had countless hateful people approach me and say things like "there are jobless people, how can you justify driving that?" or some older liberals say "you jerk, I could retire off your car", etc.

So really, what's happening to the motivation levels in this country? I work harder and smarter than everyone I know but it seems like so many now expect people like me to just give them something for nothing or feel bad for them and have to hear sob stories all day... I just want to hear about the winners again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 12:51 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
Where do you live? I've never seen a segment with instructions about how to rip off companies and get stuff for free. Given your success, I'm sure you know that coupons are sent by the business to attract customers. They don't just appear as a rip off tool. What tells you that the people clipping coupons aren't motivated? That sounds to me like they're taking a step to save some of their money so that they can provide for their family. I've never seen a business/success book advise spending more than you need to spend.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:53 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Welcome to the new America. Now you don't get rewarded for hard work, you are considered a sucker.

And people wonder why the country is in decline?

Maybe Obama will solve the problem by offering huge governement rebates on ferraris so the average joe will be able to get one too.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:31 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Welcome to the new America. Now you don't get rewarded for hard work, you are considered a sucker.
Even the wealthy are simplifying their lifestyles. We saw it in the 80's-mid-2000's. I run in all circles...from mid-income levels to people with upper six-seven figure incomes. My friends are all great people. Even though some of my rich friends are still rich and getting richer, they are much more practical. I's sure some of that is fear. But I mainly feel a change in society...a shift away from extravagant excess like expensive foreign cars. Don't get me wrong, they still have beautiful homes and things. But the conversations have changed from "things" to personal relationships, family, and country.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:43 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Kinda hard to start a company or business these days when whatever you are making can probably be made for a fraction of the price in China or Mexico.
As for Main st.? think Walmart

Old 04-21-2010, 01:48 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Kinda hard to start a company or business these days when whatever you are making can probably be made for a fraction of the price in China or Mexico.
Some businesses are harder to start than others. There is always some kind of need to be met.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:52 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,489,970 times
Irrational exuberance,as the smart Jew Greenspan said,is wrong...
The 80s may never come again...

It is just impossible a huge mammoth nation of 305m to prosper massively...

The masses will go from paycheck to paycheck. Many people don't even have their funeral expenses in their bank account...

So,the lifestyle of the rich,which was beamed through series like Dynasty etc is now considered wrong..

Ferrari is also a wrong car...

It costs 3 times a Nissan 350Z, & 2 times a Porsche Cayman/Boxster but it is not 3 or 2 times better than them...

Trade it for a Boxster & feel...politically correct...

Old 04-21-2010, 02:01 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortingMainSt View Post
I'm getting depressed just turning on the local news and watching every segment being about how to be the biggest cheap a## in town, cut coupons, try to rip off some business and get their product for free, etc..

Just a few years ago it was so much better when it seemed like every news segment and news showcase focused on exotic cars, luxury travel, what the wealthy were doing, etc. It was very motivational to see what one could strive to be just by reading about those who made it..

Why does it seem like the average Joe has lost all motivation to start a company and strive for the best in life, or just focus on the best things in life? All I hear is b.s. about losers not able to find jobs, gas prices, and what they can get without working..

I bought a Ferrari three years ago and up until last year I would always get a ton of congratulations and thumbs up at gas stations because I'm only 27 (now, was 24 when I bought it). In the last year I've had countless hateful people approach me and say things like "there are jobless people, how can you justify driving that?" or some older liberals say "you jerk, I could retire off your car", etc.

So really, what's happening to the motivation levels in this country? I work harder and smarter than everyone I know but it seems like so many now expect people like me to just give them something for nothing or feel bad for them and have to hear sob stories all day... I just want to hear about the winners again!
Not all jobless people are losers. My field got hit hard by the recession. I DO NOT want to sit around on unemployment so I am researching career fields and making plans to go back to school. Hopefully, I will find some sort of a job in the mean time. I do not think the wealthy or the government owe me a living. I want to do something about my situation and not expect others to do something about my situation.

Congrats on the Ferrari! What do you do for a living?

Old 04-21-2010, 02:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortingMainSt View Post
All I hear is b.s. about losers not able to find jobs, gas prices, and what they can get without working..
Rather than calling them "losers", how about if you consider yourself fortunate that you're not dealing with their problems?

Quote:
I just want to hear about the winners again!
Economies go up and down. Things aren't rosy all the time, you know.

Thumbs down.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:42 PM

7 posts, read 28,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Irrational exuberance,as the smart Jew Greenspan said,is wrong...
The 80s may never come again...

It is just impossible a huge mammoth nation of 305m to prosper massively...

The masses will go from paycheck to paycheck. Many people don't even have their funeral expenses in their bank account...

So,the lifestyle of the rich,which was beamed through series like Dynasty etc is now considered wrong..

Ferrari is also a wrong car...

It costs 3 times a Nissan 350Z, & 2 times a Porsche Cayman/Boxster but it is not 3 or 2 times better than them...

Trade it for a Boxster & feel...politically correct...
How is a Ferrari F355 Spider the "wrong car"? Don't be the guy who also tells people his Timex keeps better time than their Rolex (it actually does, but that's not why one buys a quality time piece). You just don't get it, so I will move on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies