Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:04 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,280,867 times

Advertisements

Hundreds expected to file abuse claims against Jesuits
About 400 to 500 people — including more than 100 in Washington state — are expected to file abuse claims against the Jesuits in the Northwest by a Nov. 30 filing deadline.

For Charlene Sam, coming forward to say she was abused years ago at a Jesuit-run boarding school near Omak was a step toward "trying to find some inner peace — feeling that I'm OK and worthy." Sam, a member of the Wenatchee tribe, is encouraged that dozens of other Native Americans who once attended St. Mary's Mission and School are stepping forward as well. She hopes still others will do the same before a Nov. 30 deadline to file claims against the Jesuits in the Northwest.

For years, "We thought: 'No one's listening. No one's doing anything,' " she said.

So it's important, she said, for those who were abused to tell their stories and get the sense that "there's safety now, that someone's going to listen." Sam is one of more than 100 people in Washington state who are expected to file abuse claims against the Society of Jesus, Oregon Province, by the deadline. Across the Northwest, about 400 to 500 people total are expected to file — most of them Native Americans or Alaska Natives.

As of last week, about 240 claims had already been filed.

The Jesuit province — which covers Washington, Oregon, Alaska, Montana and Idaho — declared bankruptcy in February, saying it didn't have enough to pay for about 200 pending or threatened lawsuits, most filed by Alaska Natives who said they were abused in their remote villages years ago. Since then, more people have come forward from the other Northwest states as well.

Local News | Hundreds expected to file abuse claims against Jesuits | Seattle Times Newspaper

The Jesuit Province sends the pedophiles to the smaller markets and they do what they do best. This story is sickening, yet now they may well get away with it.

And now the local Province is filing bankruptcy to avoid paying the claims.

These bastards deserve jail time for this.

I hope they go after the Catholic Church. They have more money than God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 09:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
lots of people jumping on the bandwagon. they had the problem for 45 years why sue now, bek the chance of a successful law suit is there, turn your malice into cash.
which is not a catholic teaching ---its the teaching of the new america--- where i feel like a foreigner-- though born here. the sky is cryin.
signed
a non catholic

Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
They see a way to make a quick buck

Old 11-15-2009, 09:11 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times
Why should an entity that for decades knowing allowed it's employees who were known pedophiles to have access to children rather than removing them from their employ then engaged in intimidation in order to cover-up the pedophiles' acts be allowed to go unpunished?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:14 AM

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. This problem is all on the Church. They sent priests who they knew were pedophiles, to smaller communities to be out of the limelight.

And those *******s continued to prey (no pun intended) upon the children in those communities.

If you know anything about these types of crimes, it's a devastating and embarrassing issue for those victims to come out. Many never will. The numbers however are staggering.

The Church leaders deserve to have their collective asses handed to them for this.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Why should an entity that for decades knowing allowed it's employees who were known pedophiles to have access to children rather than removing them from their employ then engaged in intimidation in order to cover-up the pedophiles' acts be allowed to go unpunished?
Exactly. It's unconscionable to me.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:22 AM

One spring afternoon in 1977, 15-year-old Rachel Mike tried to kill herself for the third time. An Alaska Native, Rachel was living in a tiny town called Stebbins on a remote island called St. Michael. She lived in a house with three bedrooms and nine siblings. Rachel was a drinker, depressed, and starving. "When my parents were drinking, we didn't eat right," she says. "I just wanted to get away from the drinking."

Rachel walked to the bathroom to fetch the family rifle, propped in the bathtub with the dirty laundry (the house didn't have running water). To make sure the gun worked, Rachel loaded a shell and blew a hole in her bedroom wall. Her father, passed out on his bed, didn't hear the shot. Rachel walked behind their small house. Her arms were too short to put the rifle to her head, so she shot herself in her right leg instead.

Rachel was found screaming in a pool of blood by her Auntie Emily and flown 229 miles to a hospital in Nome. The doctor asked if she wanted to see a priest. She said yes. In walked Father James Poole—a popular priest, radio personality on KNOM, and, according to allegations in at least five lawsuits, serial child rapist. Father Poole has never been convicted of a crime, but the Jesuits have settled numerous sex-abuse claims against him since 2005, in excess of $5 million, according to an attorney involved in four of those five lawsuits. Exact figures aren't available because some of the settlements involve confidentiality agreements. The Jesuits have never let a single case against Father Poole go to trial.

The "Pedophile's Paradise" - Features - The Stranger, Seattle's Only Newspaper

Read the entire article.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:51 PM

30,069 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Hundreds expected to file abuse claims against Jesuits
About 400 to 500 people — including more than 100 in Washington state — are expected to file abuse claims against the Jesuits in the Northwest by a Nov. 30 filing deadline.

For Charlene Sam, coming forward to say she was abused years ago at a Jesuit-run boarding school near Omak was a step toward "trying to find some inner peace — feeling that I'm OK and worthy." Sam, a member of the Wenatchee tribe, is encouraged that dozens of other Native Americans who once attended St. Mary's Mission and School are stepping forward as well. She hopes still others will do the same before a Nov. 30 deadline to file claims against the Jesuits in the Northwest.

For years, "We thought: 'No one's listening. No one's doing anything,' " she said.

So it's important, she said, for those who were abused to tell their stories and get the sense that "there's safety now, that someone's going to listen." Sam is one of more than 100 people in Washington state who are expected to file abuse claims against the Society of Jesus, Oregon Province, by the deadline. Across the Northwest, about 400 to 500 people total are expected to file — most of them Native Americans or Alaska Natives.

As of last week, about 240 claims had already been filed.

The Jesuit province — which covers Washington, Oregon, Alaska, Montana and Idaho — declared bankruptcy in February, saying it didn't have enough to pay for about 200 pending or threatened lawsuits, most filed by Alaska Natives who said they were abused in their remote villages years ago. Since then, more people have come forward from the other Northwest states as well.

Local News | Hundreds expected to file abuse claims against Jesuits | Seattle Times Newspaper

The Jesuit Province sends the pedophiles to the smaller markets and they do what they do best. This story is sickening, yet now they may well get away with it.

And now the local Province is filing bankruptcy to avoid paying the claims.

These bastards deserve jail time for this.

I hope they go after the Catholic Church. They have more money than God.

The Catholic Church does not have that much money and many diocese are declaring bankruptcy.

I am glad the church is addressing these issues. I think that the vows of celibacy (designed by the Jesuits to prevent transmission of church property to the progeny of priests) is no longer relevant and priests should be allowed to marry.

There is no excuse for criminal behavior among this small percentage of priests, yet I think that people should look at the tremendous work that the church does for people around the world.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:55 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
I don't see the hypocrisy, the Catholic Church never claimed that their members did not suffer from the same shortcomings as society as a whole. I do however see typical anti Catholic bashing rearing its ugly head.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I don't see the hypocrisy, the Catholic Church never claimed that their members did not suffer from the same shortcomings as society as a whole.
Oh?

The Catholic Church knew these scum sucking pieces of **** were monsters. So what did they do? They protected them. They allowed them to ruin the lives of countless people. And you have the temerity to apologize for them? And then suggest it's nothing more than a normal sample of societal behavior?

Priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I do however see typical anti Catholic bashing rearing its ugly head.
Yes, we should all praise the Catholic Church for its service to humanity. Let's sweep this under the carpet shall we Father?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies