Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Cap & Trade?
Yes 27 25.23%
No 78 72.90%
Not sure 2 1.87%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:10 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
All of you are quoting the corporate line as taught to you by whatever your favorite RW sources are.

Look, the corporate polluters have a choice;

They can continue to pollute, and pay more as a result.

They can clean up and avoid the extra cost.

Consider it this way...

The air, the sky, the water and the environment are NOT corporate properties. They're PUBLIC assets. They belong to America, not Monsanto or Dow Chemical. If these corporations are going to use those resources irresponsibly, they should pay. They've had decades to police themselves and they've utterly failed to do so. I firmly believe they should clean up after themselves.

Now they can either clean up, or pay, and I think they should. You guys are spewing every canned argument the corporate machine has tossed out for years.

Why?

What do you owe to corporate interests?
Read the bill stupid tool .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 08:15 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
Read the bill stupid tool .

Read it to me, please.

I obviously lack your power of analysis.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
You will have to pay a high tax on all energy , pay more for any car , a fee to inspect your house for energy waste if you sell and so on. We all will pay clean or dirty . Do us all a favor and read the bill . You don't have to be a fool forever .
Since you've read the bill, please post links to the provisions that are making you foam at the mouth.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:37 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Between, cap & trade, the 'Buy American' provision in that trade bill which Obama recently signed, the new health-care bill, and the new CAFE standards for autos, Obama is turning into 'Dr. Job-Killer', and 'Obama The Outsourcing Machine'.

The top three lifelines of the Democratic Party (environmentalists/trial lawyers/unions) have killed and/or outsourced hundreds of thousands of jobs over the past few decades.

And they're still at it!!!!

Old 04-25-2010, 11:19 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Between, cap & trade, the 'Buy American' provision in that trade bill which Obama recently signed, the new health-care bill, and the new CAFE standards for autos, Obama is turning into 'Dr. Job-Killer', and 'Obama The Outsourcing Machine'.

The top three lifelines of the Democratic Party (environmentalists/trial lawyers/unions) have killed and/or outsourced hundreds of thousands of jobs over the past few decades.

And they're still at it!!!!

Please explain how they accomplished that.

http://fixco1.com/bushoutsourcing.html

One of President Bush's top economic advisers sought Thursday to clarify remarks he made earlier in the week

"Now, to get back to the question about outsourcing, I think outsourcing is a growing phenomenon, but it's something that we should realize is probably a plus for the economy in the long run," Mankiw said.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/02/12/bush.outsourcing/

Old 04-25-2010, 12:21 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
To the polluters:

Don't want to pay? Get cleaned up.

Don't want cap and trade? Tough. You had decades to clean yourselves up and you did nothing. When you won't act responsibly, you can expect someone to force you to.

I'm curious, excluding CO2, as a percentage how much do you think the most common air pollutants within the US have increased over the the last 3 decades?

Old 04-25-2010, 12:22 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
I am in favor of cap and trade. I wish it was not needed, but unfortunately some business's simply won't act responsible unless they are forced to.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
...but unfortunately some business's simply won't act responsible unless they are forced to.
I'll ask you the same question, how much do you think they increased over the last 3 decades?

Old 04-25-2010, 12:45 PM

How about this, anyone want to take a guess? I didn't know what it was until I looked it up myself. As evident by your posts you would expect it to be up significantly since then because we are constantly bombarded with the ever increasing pollution problem from the media, so what do you think it is?

Old 04-25-2010, 12:56 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How about this, anyone want to take a guess? I didn't know what it was until I looked it up myself. As evident by your posts you would expect it to be up significantly since then because we are constantly bombarded with the ever increasing pollution problem from the media, so what do you think it is?
Its down since then, but comparing it to a few decades ago, when you couldn't walk outside without coughing in some parts of the country is just plain silly. Nor does that mean we shouldn't do more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies