Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

If an alien race has conquered interstellar space travel, I really feel they'd have little use for us, or our planet.

Think about it, if you've managed to have the technological ability to travel between solar systems, within a lifetime, and avoid radiation fields, feed yourself, keep water for yourself, and every other thing thats needed for survival, why would you need our little planet?

Seriously, think of Star Trek. They had food replicators for food, never needed to re water their ship, and could travel between star systems in hours or days.

That would be similar technology to what actual interstellar travel aliens would have.

Why would you come to this planet, pets? Humans would have nothing to offer, and the natural resources we have, would mean little to them at that point. Asteroids have far more in the way of elements than our planet does.

With endless energy sources, and endless lifespans, and no need not meet, you wouldn't need us, or our planet. We've got to quit thinking like humans, who have to have needs meet all the time. Think, what would you do, if you knew you needed nothing, and would never die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 03:25 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Hollywood has been rather positive towards aliens, which has created the illusion that we can communicate with them, deal with them on a level playing field etc. (similar to the cuddly image we have of lions, bears etc. due to cartoons, animated movies, etc.).

I assume the aliens out there are quite diverse, there must be thousands of species from all kinds of planets. Some of them may have real problems at home, why else would they travel in space. Maybe some of them are looking for a new planet to settle on, and let's face it, the earth is still a great place, especially if one got rid of humans and the mess they make

Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 AM

180 posts, read 188,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I assume the aliens out there are quite diverse, there must be thousands of species from all kinds of planets. Some of them may have real problems at home, why else would they travel in space. Maybe some of them are looking for a new planet to settle on, and let's face it, the earth is still a great place, especially if one got rid of humans and the mess they make
They'd likely pass hundreds (or thousands) of uninhabited Earth-like planets on the way to ours.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I'll bet immortal beings would be bored to tears. Messing with us would be a good cure.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:09 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If an alien race has conquered interstellar space travel, I really feel they'd have little use for us, or our planet.

Think about it, if you've managed to have the technological ability to travel between solar systems, within a lifetime, and avoid radiation fields, feed yourself, keep water for yourself, and every other thing thats needed for survival, why would you need our little planet?

Seriously, think of Star Trek. They had food replicators for food, never needed to re water their ship, and could travel between star systems in hours or days.

That would be similar technology to what actual interstellar travel aliens would have.

Why would you come to this planet, pets? Humans would have nothing to offer, and the natural resources we have, would mean little to them at that point. Asteroids have far more in the way of elements than our planet does.

With endless energy sources, and endless lifespans, and no need not meet, you wouldn't need us, or our planet. We've got to quit thinking like humans, who have to have needs meet all the time. Think, what would you do, if you knew you needed nothing, and would never die.
This is exactly what I believe. If they have advanced to the point of mastering inter-stellar travel, they have overcome energy barriers and can likely produce energy in nearly unlimited quantities. With unlimited energy to tap, almost anything becomes possible. The only interest they would have in earth is observation, maybe to give them insight into how they developed at earlier stages of evolution.

Perhaps they have a prime directive that they practice.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:16 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
I thought this was going to be another whacko left wing thread about the Tea Party but I found some decent information!!

Old 04-26-2010, 06:18 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
This is exactly what I believe. If they have advanced to the point of mastering inter-stellar travel, they have overcome energy barriers and can likely produce energy in nearly unlimited quantities. With unlimited energy to tap, almost anything becomes possible. The only interest they would have in earth is observation, maybe to give them insight into how they developed at earlier stages of evolution.

Where would that nearly unlimited energy come from? I assume the basic laws of physics apply to aliens, too

Old 04-26-2010, 06:23 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Where would that nearly unlimited energy come from? I assume the basic laws of physics apply to aliens, too
Fusion, or maybe something we haven't even thought of yet.

Seeing as Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the Universe, and can be gotten from almost anywhere, why would you need to come to Earth to get it?

Old 04-26-2010, 06:24 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post

Look at world history.

ALL primitive cultures, when they come in contact with more advanced cultures, perish.

The same would be true if a superior culture visited the earth.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:54 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
It occurs to me that the majority of the responses here, including my own, continue to make human based assumptions as to the motivations of these "aliens".

The truth of the matter is that we have no way of knowing anything about such creatures or their thought processes and motivations.

Once again the egocentric human thought pattern on display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies