Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:14 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,387,173 times

Advertisements

They can still have Happy Meals... meals without a ton of fat and sugar.
I live in Santa Clara county... this only effects un-incoporated areas of the county at this time.

I'm ok with the restriction... give the Happy Meals with meals that are healthier than the ones they are offered with now.... instead of encouraging and/or rewarding making an unhealthy choice.

Might make parents' meal times easier also .

Here's a link to the San Jose Mercury News article on the ordinance and its guidelines:

Santa Clara County: Supervisors ban toys with fast-food meals - San Jose Mercury News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 02:28 PM

383 posts, read 222,855 times
Exactly why are they taking the toys out? Why not just make the companies that make the crap food serve healthier stuff? I can't even eat burger king burgers anymore they make me sick because of all the crap they stuff in them.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:48 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Stupid, stupid stupid. Like McDs is forcing kids to eat happy meals.
Why are you so worked up over a little toy?

Old 04-28-2010, 03:18 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,513,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm not sure. Although, the city in which I work (in California) has banned drive throughs for fast food restaurants. Personally, I think it's pretty awesome

As for the toy stuff.. who cares? Let them ban what they want, nobody is forcing you to live or visit Santa Clara County.
that is the wrong attitude. The issue is not the stupid toy, but the right of the parent to decide. would you mind if the city you live in placed a limit on the number calories you can eat or the types of food you can consume? I take it your solution would be to just move.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:21 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
that is the wrong attitude. The issue is not the stupid toy, but the right of the parent to decide. would you mind if the city you live in placed a limit on the number calories you can eat or the types of food you can consume? I take it your solution would be to just move.
I agree. What next? Ban coupons for anything the gov considers "unhealthy???"

Old 04-28-2010, 03:23 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Well, that was actually a sarcastic little jab at all the righties that have been arguing to 'just leave' if they don't like it. I should have put a winky face or something

I have zero issues with a toy in a happy meal, and parents are stupid if they're feeding their kids that junk anyway, but it's my decision to force them either way.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:27 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,235,250 times
Why not leave the toy in and leave the fat food out?
You buy a happy meal. Eat nothing. Play with the toy. Feel happy because you are not {F-A-T}

Old 04-28-2010, 03:28 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,387,173 times
Quote:
There's nothing stopping the parent from buying the meals... they just won't have 'prizes' given with them. They're still free to purchase what they want.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:41 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
They can still have Happy Meals... meals without a ton of fat and sugar. I live in Santa Clara county... this only effects un-incoporated areas of the county at this time.

I'm ok with the restriction... give the Happy Meals with meals that are healthier than the ones they are offered with now.... instead of encouraging and/or rewarding making an unhealthy choice.

Might make parents' meal times easier also
In typical Bay Area fashion, you miss the point.

How about you leave the choice in "healthy choice" and not legislate your choices or that of the county?

How about you let parents choose how much fat and how much sugar they want to give to their children?

It's not for government to be telling a private business like McDonalds how they can package or sell their product, and it's not for the government to decide for consumers what options, healthy or not, they should prefer or be able to buy.

It is so incredible to me that anyone could support this kind of crap. What has happened to this country? How did we go so far from the principles of our founding fathers?

Old 04-28-2010, 03:59 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,034,504 times
but freebies are whats fun about happymeals.....and voting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies