Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should law enforcement agents check people for violation of gun laws
Yes 7 35.00%
No, it's a violation of my Constitional rights 13 65.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Not just rallies, what about check points in the street, what about in parks, etc...If you have a gun, you should be able to provide a FOID card. If you don't have a gun, you have nothing to worry about. The only people who would worry about this are criminals with guns. Agree?
Let's not get ridiculous.

Illegal aliens do not enjoy the benefits of Constitutional rights, only legal residents; i.e., aliens who have obtained legal citizenship. Also, I believe (but I could be wrong) those who have the required "green cards", Visa or whathaveyou.

Why does a state seeking to enforce the law become like Nazi state? The law is the law, it has always been the law, and that has not changed. What has changed is that AZ has decided to do the job that the Federal Government is supposed to be doing, but will not (for purely political reasons).

This threatens the Democrats ability to stuff the ballot boxes with illegal votes. That is why they are opposed to this, and that is the only reason.

This law threatens nobodys liberty, except for lawbreakers who ought not to be in the country in the first place.

70% of Arizonians support this law, and of Arizonians that support it, 60%of Hispanics in AZ it is reported support it.

It is also reported that 60% of Americans support it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 12:38 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I wouldn't.
Good for you. Your OP is still a strawman.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:40 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Let's not get ridiculous.

Illegal aliens do not enjoy the benefits of Constitutional rights, only legal residents; i.e., aliens who have obtained legal citizenship.
Does that mean a citizen does not have to produce any proof of citizenship? If that's the case, than you have a strong argument.

Quote:
Why does a state seeking to enforce the law become like Nazi state? The law is the law, it has always been the law, and that has not changed. What has changed is that AZ has decided to do the job that the Federal Government is supposed to be doing, but will not (for purely political reasons).

This law threatens nobodys liberty, except for lawbreakers who ought not to be in the country in the first place.
So citizens do not need to be searched, correct? Are you against this law being applied to citizens?

Quote:
70% of Arizonians support this law, and of Arizonians that support it, 60%of Hispanics in AZ it is reported support it.

It is also reported that 60% of Americans support it.
60%, lol, according to who, Rasmussen, Fox? The KKK?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:40 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
I use Clairiton -D an over the counter allergy medicine. In order to purchase this product I must show my valid drivers license , sign a document that I will use it lawfully and am limited to 15 pills every 15 days . My purchase is then reported to the US government .
I did this today, I do it twice a month .
Just show the papers if asked guns or citizenship , it won't kill you .
There really is nothing new here.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
What argument, I asked a question. I would never ask a question I could not answer myself.
Spare me. In asking the question, you are forming an argument.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:42 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Good for you. Your OP is still a strawman.
How can it be a strawman if I am willing to answer my own question?? Do tell? I suppose this question is a strawman. Do you even know what a strawman is? Or is this something you heard on talk radio and have no idea what it is.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:45 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Most states have no FOID law. Only a few do.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
How can it be a strawman if I am willing to answer my own question?? Do tell? I suppose this question is a strawman. Do you even know what a strawman is? Or is this something you heard on talk radio and have no idea what it is.
Talk radio? You're too, too funny. I don't listen to talk radio.

Yeah, you got me. I'm not up on my logical fallacies, but your question would seem to fit the weak analogy fallacy. Regardless, it's a poor argument.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:57 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Not just rallies, what about check points in the street, what about in parks, etc...If you have a gun, you should be able to provide a FOID card. If you don't have a gun, you have nothing to worry about. The only people who would worry about this are criminals with guns. Agree?
If asking for proper identification is unconstitutional, then why do we have to show ID to buy alcohol, tobacco, OTC medication, etc... ? Shouldn't we also demand that be removed as well?

Old 04-28-2010, 01:06 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield
The law allows police to ask anyone they suspect of being an illegal immigrant of proof of citizenship. What is reasonable suspicion for being an illegal immigrant? Do tell? The law also penalizes cops for not searching illegal immigrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
The law states that they must already be in lawful contact (stopped for something else), and that they must have reasonable suspicion. It also clearly states that race or ethnicity can not be the sole reason for suspicion. Your characterization of it is directly contradicted by the text of the law. (http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070h.pdf)

As for what is reasonable suspicion, I might consider it reasonable if you don't have a driver's license, no plates on your car, provide evasive responses when asked you name, address etc. These are all perfectly normal questions for an officer to ask in a traffic stop if you don't have a driver's license. If you don't have an explanation for those, the officer has reason to be suspicious. By the way, the law also specifies that a valid drivers license is considered sufficient.
Excellent response. As usual too many on here go off half cocked and don't know what the actual bill says. They read or hear something and instead of checking it out they just rant that this is going to happen or the law is unconstitutional without ever reading the whole bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies