Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 07:18 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Personally I think it is very sad. I don't know much about Australia, but I always thought of it as a fairly free country. I suppose that they can do whatever they want to do, but if I lived there, I'd be moving.

No, I am not a smoker, but I believe in personal freedoms. I am sorry to see this happen.

20yrsinBranson
ha ha you'd move for this?!

well smoking isn't illegal... it's discouraged.

My personal freedom is being upheld.. I now eat meals and can have a drink without having smoke invade my personal space.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:26 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Amen, and this is coming from a smoker. Not gonna lie... there are times when I do enjoy smoking... with a beer, after dinner, after sex. What I don't like is the addictive side of it. What I would like to see if a viable way to help smokers quit. I've tried to do it with the gum, and the lozenges. To some degree it worked except when I got one of those over powering urges, and that is when I'd start up again. Not going to try the patch, because my luck I'd forget it was on light up, and drop dead of a heart attack. Cold turkey is not an option! I work 2 jobs, and there is a lot of stress right now, so.... I'd end up going off of the deep end. I'm thinking of those e-cigarettes, as I have heard a lot of positive results from them, but I'm still trying to sell my wife on them. She thinks that they are too expensive, and I tried to sell her on the fact that investing in one of them is far less expensive than buying cigarettes. Furthermore, from the research that I've done, they are far safer than real cigarettes to me, and others around me. I am a respectful smoker. I don't smoke inside, because my wife doesn't smoke, and I don't want my kid breathing it in. With that though, I am not going to begrudge other smokers, and if I owned my own company I would not discriminate against smokers.

P.S. Any ex-smokers out there have any knowledge of the the e-cigarettes? Have you tried them? If so, have they worked for you?
no1brownsfan !!! ... BRAVO !

Agreed ! Thanks for an intelligent, common sense post on this subject.

Something that appears to be becoming most rare on a certain forum as of late ! Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 04-29-2010, 07:29 PM

948 posts, read 894,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
ha ha you'd move for this?!

well smoking isn't illegal... it's discouraged.

My personal freedom is being upheld.. I now eat meals and can have a drink without having smoke invade my personal space.
Your personal freedom? Please.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGL1 View Post
Your personal freedom? Please.
um I was responding to 20yearsinBranson, at the suggestion that the anti-advertisments impede on one's personal freedoms...

You can still smoke here,you can still buy cigarettes in stores. so smokers are free to smoke

They're just gotta do it outside, away from everyone else eating / drinking, and pay a lot to do it.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
um I was responding to 20yearsinBranson, at the suggestion that the anti-advertisments impede on one's personal freedoms...

You can still smoke here,you can still buy cigarettes in stores. so smokers are free to smoke

They're just gotta do it outside, away from everyone else eating / drinking, and pay a lot to do it.
Look I'm not rude and blow my smoke in people's faces and try to be courteous and I accept the fact people should be able to dine smoke free. That's why there are smoking sections.

It wasn't until that liberal backed junk science about second hand smoke came out that everyone started freaking out. Now smoking laws are getting ridiculous.

And it's all because the liberal, PC crowd and lawmakers push that agenda and that is taking one of my personal freedoms away.

We can't even smoke in bars now in Houston because of wack brained lefties bitching about it and the kowtowing politicians wanting to look like they're actually doing something so they throw an easy bone to the squawking minority once again. But those days are soon coming to an end because people are fed up with it all.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:00 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,236 times
Quote:
Look I'm not rude and blow my smoke in people's faces and try to be courteous and I accept the fact people should be able to dine smoke free. That's why there are smoking sections.

It wasn't until that liberal backed junk science about second hand smoke came out that everyone started freaking out. Now smoking laws are getting ridiculous.

And it's all because the liberal, PC crowd and lawmakers push that agenda and that is taking one of my personal freedoms away.

We can't even smoke in bars now in Houston because of wack brained lefties bitching about it and the kowtowing politicians wanting to look like they're actually doing something so they throw an easy bone to the squawking minority once again. But those days are soon coming to an end because people are fed up with it all.

SGL,

I respect your post, but it's not just the leftnuts that back smoking bans. Some of us right-leaning independents aren't fond of tobacco either.

You seem like a very intelligent person - why would you continue to do something to yourself that will result in a nasty, prolonged, horrid premature death? Dude, there is NOTHING beneficial about smoking/chewing tobacco. All you are doing is making a bunch of cretins in North Carolina wealthy, and giving the current group of morons in Washington "blood money" tax revenue. Wouldn't you rather live a long life and give the left hell for generations to come?

Plus - remember who else is a smoker, do you really want to be in this company:

Old 04-29-2010, 08:02 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,236 times
This is why I want to see the decriminalization of marijuana (in REASONABLE amounts). It's natural and not nearly as harmful as government-controlled ciggies with such fun additives as arsenic, asbestos and benzene.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
SGL,

I respect your post, but it's not just the leftnuts that back smoking bans. Some of us right-leaning independents aren't fond of tobacco either.

You seem like a very intelligent person - why would you continue to do something to yourself that will result in a nasty, prolonged, horrid premature death? Dude, there is NOTHING beneficial about smoking/chewing tobacco. All you are doing is making a bunch of cretins in North Carolina wealthy, and giving the current group of morons in Washington "blood money" tax revenue. Wouldn't you rather live a long life and give the left hell for generations to come?

Plus - remember who else is a smoker, do you really want to be in this company:
My God the sky IS falling.

The point that it's bad isn't the point. It's just the beginning. If the politicians have their way we won't be able to fart without a Govt. mandate. Anything they label as bad for us they control, tax or eliminate don't you see this. Then what?

I want to make the decision whats bad for me.

Just like when the lefties bit*h about gay people being able to sodomize their partners in the privacy of their own home. But it's against a city/state law. To hell with that.

If Bruce and Sebastian want to bopp the bippy I say let 'em. By God I'll physically fight for their right to do it. I don't wanna watch it. After I give/catch a beat down I don't want them to be all huggy & kissy on me for it. But you get where I'm coming from.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
This is why I want to see the decriminalization of marijuana (in REASONABLE amounts). It's natural and not nearly as harmful as government-controlled ciggies with such fun additives as arsenic, asbestos and benzene.
Yes but it is bad. It was tried in Alaska once and didn't work. I'm all for people enjoying in the privacy of their own home and I think the laws are way to stringent for possession. But geez, do we really want a country of spaced out zombies? China already owns our azz that's all we need.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:

I know not all smokers are rude. I am an ex-smoker. I was always aware of who was around me (ie move if there were kids etc).

smokers are becoming the minority. You can't smoke in bars/pubs here either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies