Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:14 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,935,966 times

Advertisements

Hello, The Gulf Oil Spill Is Obama's Katrina - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Hello-The-Gulf-Oil-Spill-Is-siliconalley-252559807.html?x=0&.v=4 - broken link)
The Associated Press: A containable accident, then suddenly a crisis

Quote:
For days, as an oil spill spread in the Gulf of Mexico, BP assured the government the plume was manageable, not catastrophic. Federal authorities were content to let the company handle the mess while keeping an eye on the operation.

Will this be Obama's Katrina? Should the federal and state governments have done more, and earlier?
It certainly should be. Yes the Feds should have done more.

Oil Spill’s ‘Fisheries Failure’ May Signal End of Coastal Towns - Bloomberg.com

Quote:
May 1 (Bloomberg) -- Frank Campo thinks the oil spill approaching the marshes east of New Orleans may destroy his community.

Campo, who runs Campo’s Marina in St. Bernard Parish’s Shell Beach, says the response to the spill is too little and too late to prevent economic disaster for the commercial and recreational fishermen who earn a living from the coast.

“My family’s got over 100 years in this place and we’re liable to lose it because these guys are sitting on their hands,” he said in an interview.
Sitting on their hands indeed.

Obama has more important things to attend to;

Twitter / Jake Tapper: hmmmm RT @KatrinaNation ...

Can't make up his mind;

Obama not going to Gulf yet, maybe later?

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House says President Barack Obama won't be heading to the Gulf Coast in the next few days. But press secretary Robert Gibbs left open the possibility of a later presidential visit to assess the spreading oil spill.
They did nothing for 9 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:07 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,964 times
I'm happy to criticize this administration for many things, but I'm holding my fire on this one. Ultradeep-sea drilling is risky stuff, and this well is 5000 feet deep. Getting down there to cap it is going to be an engineering feat just in itself.

White House Memo - Shadow of Katrina Hangs Over Official Response to Spill - NYTimes.com

The NYT must be over its love affair with Obama for running headlines like this, and IMO this is a cheap shot at him over recent complaints in the press about getting access to him.

I'm more interested in this article by the AP...In its 2009 exploration plan and environmental impact analysis for the well, BP suggested it was unlikely, or virtually impossible, for an accident to occur that would lead to a giant crude oil spill and serious damage to beaches, fish and mammals.

BP should be taken to the woodshed for this one. They didn't plan for this potentiality, and that is not Obama's fault, and I can't even believe I'm saying that. I'm pretty sure no one even understood the magnitude of what was going on for a couple days.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:11 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
One question?

Which is worse,

81 BILLION DOLLARS, or 8 Billion dollars?

I'll give you one guess on which one was Katrina, and which one is going to be the cost of the oil spill.

Not to mention over 1800 dead related to Katrina, so far, the death toll of the oil spill is 11 people.

Something tells me one isn't nearly as bad as the other, and I'd say that having officials on the ground the day after the man made disaster, cabinet officials and all of those in charge of the clean up on the ground within two days, and himself coming down soon, is a hell of a lot quicker than the Bush response to Katrina.

I know righties are trying to compare Obama to Bush, to try and settle the score, but this is hardly the issue to try it on.

Katrina and the oil spill are completely different animals.

Katrina - Three days warning, and it still took 4 to 5 days after the Hurricane hit for Federal officials to reach the area.

Oil spill - No warning, and original estimates of damage were 5 times less than the actual damage. He had officials on the ground the day after the man made disaster, and had cabinet officials on the ground two days after the spill became known. And yes, he is making a trip down here himself, in the next day or so.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:12 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
See? It's Bush's fault.

We just needed a progressive -- relying on the infallible "something that tells him" -- to point it out.

Jeeezus.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
See? It's Bush's fault.

We just needed a progressive -- relying on the infallible "something that tells him" -- to point it out.
Its not Bushs fault, I was pointing out that comparing Katrina to the oil spill is asinine.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its not Bushs fault, I was pointing out that comparing Katrina to the oil spill is asinine.
Nothing asinine about it. Obama gets off scot-free when he blows it, as in the current catastrophe.

Thanks to the zombies who follow him around waiting to be told what to think.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Nothing asinine about it. Obama gets off scot-free when he blows it, as in the current catastrophe.

Thanks to the zombies who follow him around waiting to be told what to think.
He is doing more for a disaster thats 10 times less in intensity, than Bush did for Katrina,

How again as he getting off again?

As I said before, Katrina had a cost of over 80 billion dollars. The cost of the oil clean up will be around 8 billion. Over 1800 people died in Katrina, only the original 11 died in the oil disaster.

I'd say Katrina is much worse, wouldn't you?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
He is doing more for a disaster thats 10 times less in intensity, than Bush did for Katrina,

How again as he getting off again?

As I said before, Katrina had a cost of over 80 billion dollars. The cost of the oil clean up will be around 8 billion. Over 1800 people died in Katrina, only the original 11 died in the oil disaster.

I'd say Katrina is much worse, wouldn't you?
Not if you're a shrimp fisherman.

But hey -- they're mostly Vietnamese immigrants, anyway. And today Obama and the other progressives are celebrating the downfall of Saigon.

Party on.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:31 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,886 times
Quote:
One question?

Which is worse,

81 BILLION DOLLARS, or 8 Billion dollars?

I'll give you one guess on which one was Katrina, and which one is going to be the cost of the oil spill.

Not to mention over 1800 dead related to Katrina, so far, the death toll of the oil spill is 11 people.

Something tells me one isn't nearly as bad as the other, and I'd say that having officials on the ground the day after the man made disaster, cabinet officials and all of those in charge of the clean up on the ground within two days, and himself coming down soon, is a hell of a lot quicker than the Bush response to Katrina.

I know righties are trying to compare Obama to Bush, to try and settle the score, but this is hardly the issue to try it on.

Katrina and the oil spill are completely different animals.

Katrina - Three days warning, and it still took 4 to 5 days after the Hurricane hit for Federal officials to reach the area.

WRONG- Bush had the National Guard sitting outside of NO and the idiot Mayor would not allow them to come into NO because he wanted to be a hero. And of course we know it did not turn out that way dont we.

Nagan should be in jail for what he done to those people.

Oil spill - No warning, and original estimates of damage were 5 times less than the actual damage. He had officials on the ground the day after the man made disaster, and had cabinet officials on the ground two days after the spill became known. And yes, he is making a trip down here himself, in the next day or so.

We have Katrina type issues going on all over America because of Obamas policies and failures.

People are living and dying in the streets who used to own homes.

There was a family of 4 living under a bridge in Ohio because they lost their home and had no place to go, all thanks to Obama not working on jobs so he could save his families home.

So please. This country has Katrina all over it because Obama is failing to do anything to help Americans all across the country.

And to think he has done nothing for 15 months about it.

America is Obamas Katrina, all you have to do is look around to see it happening.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Not if you're a shrimp fisherman.

But hey -- they're mostly Vietnamese immigrants, anyway. And today Obama and the other progressives are celebrating the downfall of Saigon.

Party on.
Total lost revenue, clean up of the spill, everything is supposed to be around 8 billion dollars.

BP has already made public statements that legally require them to make reparations to those who lost income due to the spill.

There are many in the shrimping industry who have already filed suit to get their money.

Are you in the shrimp industry? I work with 4 guys whose families all shrimp in and around Biloxi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies