Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:47 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times

Advertisements

Maternity Leave | News stories | Marie Claire

too bad we dont' have a facepalm emoticon.
Where does this entitlement mentality come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 09:53 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I actually disagree with maternity leave.

It should be treated as any other medical procedure. If you have gall bladder surgery, you're out of work for three days.

Shouldn't take more than that for maternity leave, unless the doctor says otherwise.

I used to work at a plant, and all the time I got hit with having to work overtime, and weekends. Not because I was low seniority, but because I was single, with no children. God forbid the parents actually have to come in and work on the weekends, they have kids.

Same thing applies to maternity leave. Stay out while its medically necessary, after that, you're on your own.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:55 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,556,049 times
If it's unpaid leave sure, otherwise? No.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:58 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
If it's unpaid leave sure, otherwise? No.
The study says that it would be a paid, 6 month leave because they are females.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,818,345 times
That's ridiculous. Only makes employers less willing to hire women. I know I wouldn't want to.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:29 AM

28 posts, read 30,520 times
I'm not sure what these people think maternity leave is. For one, I only got 6 weeks unpaid because I had not worked a full year at my company. They made me pay for my benefits out of pocket during that time. My guess is that since most women are not super rich they had a similar experience with their leave.

Another woman who had her child at the same time as me only got 6 weeks paid and 8 weeks total before she had to go back to work. She had been working there for over 2 years. It takes at least 6 weeks to physically recover from giving birth.

To say it's like a vacation is sheer ignorance. I never had time to pamper myself or relax. For crying out loud I barely got a chance to take a daily shower.

To people who feel mistreated because they had to work when a coworker had to stay home with a kid: It is not fun caring for a sick child, and good luck finding child care on weekends. Schedule agreements are usually made between employers and their workers when they are hired. If you want to have weekends off you need to find an employer willing to accommodate your schedule needs. That's what parents have to do.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I actually disagree with maternity leave.

It should be treated as any other medical procedure. If you have gall bladder surgery, you're out of work for three days.

Shouldn't take more than that for maternity leave, unless the doctor says otherwise.

I used to work at a plant, and all the time I got hit with having to work overtime, and weekends. Not because I was low seniority, but because I was single, with no children. God forbid the parents actually have to come in and work on the weekends, they have kids.

Same thing applies to maternity leave. Stay out while its medically necessary, after that, you're on your own.
Yep, just squat down in the field, have that baby, and resume picking the crops! Three days my a. . , uh, eye! How about comparing having a baby with a heart attack instead?

I don't agree with parents automatically getting a bye on the weekend, evening duty. Obviously, you've never worked as a nurse in a hospital. That just doesn't happen in the hospital workplace.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
It's a survey, not a study.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:43 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,556,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I wonder how they worded the study? I find it curious that 74% said they should get it.

Now if you asked me "would I take 6 months paid leave if it was offered"? I mean, hell yes I'd TAKE it. I sure as hell wouldn't think I DESERVED it tho.

And who in the world gets 6 months paid maternity leave anyways? That's a lot!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:47 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,896,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's a survey, not a study.
It is!

I can't see it ever becoming a law that childless women get paid maternity leave. As a childless woman who worked in many offices with women who actually had children, I can't imagine the horrendous outcry there would be from mothers of children or male coworkers who aren't married. Even male coworkers who are married qualify for that Family Leave Act.

What's the point? I work, I get sick leave and vacation time. Perhaps if I had to care for a sibling's child, maybe I would qualify for the Family Leave Act.

And the law would create needless animosity in the workplace. As if there isn't enough there sometimes already.

I think that's a sensationalistic article written purely to create some "buzz."

Last edited by cricket_factor; 05-01-2010 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Additional thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies