Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:46 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,866,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
It is not about what you think people "should do".

If you know that your going into a crowd and it isn't necessary then you take the least that you have to. Have a front pocket? Money goes in there. Although, I have met many women who stash cell phones and cash in their bras. Which I find extremely strange, but they do it. The less that you have with you, the less you have to worry about something being stolen.

See, if you have ever had your purse or wallet stolen, then you know that it is going to take an ungodly amount of time to replace everything.

Actually, after having back and hip pain from carrying my wallet in my back pocket, i carry it up front. It is much easier to carry money, ID, etc in one place, than money in one pocket, wallet in another, etc. The more connected everything is, the less you have to worry about losing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,234,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Actually, after having back and hip pain from carrying my wallet in my back pocket, i carry it up front. It is much easier to carry money, ID, etc in one place, than money in one pocket, wallet in another, etc. The more connected everything is, the less you have to worry about losing it.
And that works for you.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 AM

836 posts, read 3,386,648 times
OK It seems like some people here in the US don't think we have a problem with Illegals..I think EVERY State should take up this New Arizona Law! You are considered a CRIMINAL when you sneak in to this country and ANY other country without getting proper documents. There are lot of them that leave well paid jobs in Mexico, to come here and do the same job (Construction, Agriculture, manufacturing, and hospitality jobs) for the same amount of money. I know that some Illegals are not Mexican however, 107 million Illegal Immigrants are from Mexico.

**If you cross the Mexican border illegally, you will be thrown into a political prison to rot...maybe even shot specially today with all the Cartel controlling everything.

**If you cross the U.S. border illegally, you get: 1.the right to carry your country’s flag while you protest that you don’t get enough respect.
2. A job,
3. a drivers license,
4. a social security card,
5. welfare,
6. food stamps,
7. credit cards,
8. subsidized rent or a loan to buy a house, open a store.
9. free education,
10. they get the right to Vote
11. free health care,
12. a lobbyist in Washington,
13. billions of dollars worth of public documents printed in your language.
14 they have a baby its considered an American Citizen... In any other country if you have a child there it is NOT considered a Citizen of that country. So why is it here.?
15 they don't have to learn English
16 they can join our Armed Forces

So if they are Illegal how do they have any rights at all??
Why is this country so weak when it comes to Illegals?? Are we afraid that if we make rules and enforce them that this will cause a problem with our Alie's? Are we worried that people from other countries will not like us anymore?
How is it ok that stores can put under English, Spanish so they can read what is down the isles..Why is it so hard for them to learn English??.. If a person from another country comes here they have to learn English. If we go to Mexico they don't all speak English there so you need to be fluent in their language..same for any other country such as France you need to know some french to be able to get around..or Germany, Russia, China, Hong Kong, Italy Japan...etc..

We can not tell who is coming over the border, nor what they are bringing with them. criminals, terrorists, and diseases are certainly amongst them. They degrade the quality of our medical system by overwhelming it due to not seeking any preventative care due to their lack of insurance. They degrade the quality of our educational system by attending public schools, increasing teacher/student ratios and making them less efficient due to poor English skills. All the other insurance you have, notably car insurance is more expensive because the illegals drive with no insurance and no license. They erode our national identity by their lack of a desire to integrate, unlike legal immigrants. They go on welfare. sure, a lot of them work, but a significant number of them go on welfare, degrading the quality of services we can provide citizens and making the programs more expensive to taxpayers. They primarily work under the table and rent, thus pay only sales tax. they use parks, roads, library's, etc and pay nothing for their maintenance, etc. In many parts of the country, they have simply eroded the notion of America. They are not loyal to the US, unlike legal immigrants. They send their money home, rather than spend it here. It is illegal when laws are ignored, the very nature of law becomes eroded. When you tolerate a law being broken, who should it surprise anyone that they feel it is OK not to break other laws. They commit a considerable amount of crime. Phoenix is now the kidnapping capital of the WORLD. They drive down the standard wage, in the same manner that India has driven technical and service jobs out of the US. They bring drugs into this country Illegally..and lets not forget the gangs..MS13, Cartel..etc..

I guess this is all OK!

Yea Yea.. people say this country was built on Immigration..but most of our ancestors didn't sneak into this country..There was NO Immigration Laws until 1924. It is hard to say they were Illegal until this law went into effect! If the Illegals want to become a legal citizen here then do it, but if not they should be caught and put in a special prison (reopen All prisons/old hospitals that has been shut down) just for them up to 5 years then deport them back to Mexico! A prison where they get small amounts of food, no clothes accept for the ones on their backs and they must do hard labor..no freaking TV's or radios, treated poorly, and most important NO outside contact with the world!!! Then maybe they will think twice about entering this country Illegally again. Maybe all prisons should be this way! SO what if it's cruel and inhumane..maybe people will think twice committing a crime!

Old 05-05-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
and? what does that have to do with why someone is stopped?
Probable cause and evidence. Either you have it or you do not.

You can see it like so:
You have been arrested. You will more than likely have to go in front of a judge. The judge may throw it out. The prosecutor may throw it out. However, you're stuck for a minute if you don't have bail. It gets thrown out. Still arrested.

It is like, can you be arrested for Public Intoxication if you are a passenger in a car and the driver is sober? Sure. Then it gets thrown out of court (depending on where you are) because you may have been intoxicated but you were not driving and had infact made necessary arrangements. In the meantime, you have been arrested and are held until you see a judge or come up with bail.

Can you be listed as a gang member for living in a certain area but not being a gang member? Yes. You can. Is it accurate? No, it's not. Does it happen? You betcha.

This isn't saying that all cops are bad and evil and no gooders.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:13 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,866,367 times
So again, where is your issue with people being arrested for breaking the law?

Old 05-05-2010, 09:28 AM

My issue is with people being arrested for not breaking the law but not carrying an ID. My stance has not changed. So, they can be detained while it gets sorted out. Especially, considering that AZ cannot even manage to enforce the former law against business. You have no intention of going up against the IRS or the business' then this is terrorizing people.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
14 they have a baby its considered an American Citizen... In any other country if you have a child there it is NOT considered a Citizen of that country. So why is it here.?
This is not true. Colombia is the only country in the western hemisphere that does not recognize birth as a natural claim to citizenship. A child born in Mexico or Canada gets automatic citizenship. In the old world, that is not the case. Few European countries give citizenship on the basis of birth, bur France is one that does. Outside Europe, it is generally difficult for outsiders to claim citizenship in countries of Asia an Africa, even if born there.

Most of your other points are also , generally, not true, however it is possible to slip through the cracks, and with diligence and guile and accomplices, to finagle some of the points you mentioned. Few illegal aliens have been successful.

Finally, at the bottom of the barrel you are scraping, is the ridiculous language point. Everyone in the tourism and travel industries in every country in the world has taken the trouble to learn English, just for your convenience. No Mexican in the US, illegal or otherwise, expects any non-Hispanic American to learn Spanish. They do appreciate, though, that nearly all stores and offices in areas with high Hispanic populations, have employees who can speak Spanish naturally, as well as English. You sound like you think Americans who are bilingual ought to be ashamed of themselves, and not allowed be employed in jobs where they contact the public.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-05-2010 at 10:01 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 10:10 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,126,898 times
Related Op-Ed piece in the WSJ today:

Clarence W. Dupnik: Arizona's Immigration Mistake - WSJ.com

Old 05-05-2010, 10:37 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Pay site. Can you summarize?

It is interesting that the WSJ, the most rightwing of the mainstream papers in the country, is publishing opeds that call the AZ law a mistake. Just wait. There will soon be a post here calling the Wall Street Journal a liberal lefty communist paper.

Oh,, I just noticed that you can go to the link, and click the comments tab at the top, and read the comments from the liberal lefty subscribers to the WSJ. Which is a form of an overview of the article.

Oops---take that back. The comments are just a bunch of the same misinformed rants that you see here.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-05-2010 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,126,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Pay site. Can you summarize?

It is interesting that the WSJ, the most rightwing of the mainstream papers in the country, is publishing opeds that call the AZ law a mistake. Just wait. There will soon be a post here calling the Wall Street Journal a liberal lefty communist paper.
Whoops. I'm sorry. I was able to read the full text by using googlenews. Let me know if you can't access it.

Not only did this appear in the WSJ, the author happens to be the Sheriff of Pima County AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies