Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:21 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
He hadn't spent 6 months in a training camp. He spent a week learning some stuff, in an area of Pakistan known to have terroists there. Thats it. Explains why his bomb was crap. The rest of his time in Pakistan was spent with relatives, and friends, many of whom have been detained for questioning right now.

You're example comes from a movie, a Peter Sellers movie too.

Remember, Reagan joked about destroying Russia, and put the Russians on high alert because of it. We didn't change policy due to that screw up.

We have over a million immigrants every year. Many from India and Pakistan. 1 out of millions of other immigrants does a stupid, terrible thing, and you're ready to lock out the lot of them? Makes no sense. Its like shutting down a company, because 1 employee crashed a fork truck.

He came to this country in 1998. Got a degree, then went on to get his masters. He was a software designer for christs sake. He had a 200,000 dollar house, which up to 7 months ago was going fine, until he lost his job, then lost his mortgage, then lost his house. Forced him to send his wife and children to live with relatives in Pakistan, and the guy snapped.

I'm not condoning what he did, but lets put this in context. Its not 9/11, its not a well thought out, well executed plan. The guy was pissed because he lost his dream, and wanted to take it out on someone.

Suspect, Charged, Said to Admit to Role in Plot

It says that Customs and Border Protection records show that Mr. Shahzad returned from Pakistan on Feb. 3, 2010, after a five-month visit there, flying back on a one-way ticket from Pakistan. He told customs inspectors, the complaint said, that he was visiting his parents.

You are right - it wasn't six months - it was five months.

Hasan Nidal earned $90K a year in a government job. He killed 12 people in Ft. Hood. Who gives a flip about their lifestyle? You keep stating that as if it matters. They have an ideology that endangers US citizens.

If this was a person of the Tea Party, I am sure you would be giving the same latitude as this guy, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 01:22 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Now why would you want to go an complicate the discussion with facts?
Sometimes I just can't help myself.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:26 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Who was celebrating it?

Can you provide a link.
Here you go. 84 pages, lots of them from active CD members praising the guy.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...56-2010-a.html

Here's the money quote from Consent Withdrawn, who started the thread:

Quote:
In Loving Memory Of Joseph Stack (1956-2010)

Here is the manifesto of the heroic Joseph Stack that I found on line and simply copied and pasted here. If anyone questions after reading it as to why I am an anarchist then I give up even trying to explain my stand. Although Stack wouldn't want the title I'm sure, this guy could be the Messiah. Maybe we can declare February 18th a national holiday.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:31 PM

412 posts, read 405,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Why do we give US Citizenship to vermin like this Shazad? I am a son of immigrants who came to this country voluntarily and everyday I love this country more and more.

This ungrateful bastard was enjoying all the benefits of US citizenship, at the same time, he was planning the destruction of the same country he is a citizen of. The whole concept of hating the country you are a citizen of blows my mind!

I think we should reconsider giving citizenship to idiots like this, they sure do not appreciate everything this country has to offer and don't deserve to be a citizen of any civilized country.
If we knew what Shazad was planning, not giving him citizenship would have been a pretty low priority.

Quote:
Send this bastard back to Pakistan and strip him of his US citizenship
How about sending him to prison instead.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatermelonRat View Post
If we knew what Shazad was planning, not giving him citizenship would have been a pretty low priority.

How about sending him to prison instead.
I don't want tax dollars used on this guy.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:34 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I don't want tax dollars used on this guy.
Using that logic, he shouldn't have been arrested!

Weird.

So he gets his citizenship stripped a free ticket to Pakistan and all is good in the world?

Weird part II

Old 05-05-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Using that logic, he shouldn't have been arrested!

Weird.

So he gets his citizenship stripped a free ticket to Pakistan and all is good in the world?

Weird part II
No - arresting him is part of protecting the tax payers. Giving him room and board and 3 meals for life spends our tax dollars needlessly when the death penalty will accomplish the same purpose.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:44 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
No - arresting him is part of protecting the tax payers. Giving him room and board and 3 meals for life spends our tax dollars needlessly when the death penalty will accomplish the same purpose.
You DO know that pursuing death penalties is ultimately more expensive than simple incarceration? The legal expenses generally far outrun maintenance expenses.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You DO know that pursuing death penalties is ultimately more expensive than simple incarceration? The legal expenses generally far outrun maintenance expenses.
For 40 years?

If you are correct (and you may be), I will go back to my point on post #39 that the risk level for anyone who tries this rises if the death penalty is quickly enacted - and they will think twice.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:03 PM

More on the vermin...

From Suburban Father to a Terrorism Suspect

Like so many others, he lost a house to foreclosure — a real estate broker who helped him buy the house, in Shelton, Conn., in 2004 remembered that Mr. Shahzad did not like President George W. Bush or the Iraq war.

Darn it - he doesn't fit the Tea Party template.

George LaMonica, a 35-year-old computer consultant, said he bought his two-bedroom condominium in Norwalk, Conn., from Mr. Shahzad for $261,000 in May 2004. A few weeks after he moved in, Mr. LaMonica said, investigators from the national Joint Terrorism Task Force interviewed him, asking for details of the transaction and for information about Mr. Shahzad. It struck Mr. LaMonica as unusual, but he said detectives told him they were simply “checking everything out.”

The feds knew about him in 2004. What happened?

Mr. Shahzad’s generation grew up in a Pakistan where alcohol had been banned and Islam had been forced into schools and communities as a doctrine and a national glue.

“It’s not that they don’t speak English or aren’t skilled,” a Pakistani official explained. “But in their hearts and in their minds they reject the West. They can’t see a world where they live together; there’s only one way, one right way.”

So much for Islam and America co-existing together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies