Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yes, this is true. However, that hardly justifies the bombast of the English-speaking crowd who is angry because some people come into "their" country wanting to speak Spanish. They have no business talking about "illegal" immigrants or especially "illegal invaders."

The gall.
Sure we do. You can't do anything about some illegal that came 300 years ago -- and you can't use criminals of the past to justify those today. Just like slavery brought in many people, you cannot bring back slavery just because someone did it 300 years ago.

We also have no more Indian land to give to all the millions pouring over the borders. They're only creating much urban crowding and sprawl. We do not have to want all our cities to look like the very crowded Mexico City with miles and miles of crowded slums surrounding it.

Besides with 24 million unemployed Americans and a $16 TRILLION debt and climbing fast, we simply do not need to keep importing millions of third world types who bring their third world child bearing attiudes with them so we can add them to the welfare statistics. We're running out of room -- it's time some of these people stay home and work to reform their homelands -- we simply cannot pack the entire world into the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 07:55 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
Come one, we should just give up and face the inevitable. Look at the population numbers. Whites are shrinking (how many white people do you know with more than one or two kids?) and the Hispanic population is exploding.

I think one factor is Catholicism among Hispanics. Less birth control, less abortions, etc. And of course, all those people coming over the border.

Look at history, it's happened all over the globe. One culture overruns another. It WILL happen here, we just have to face it and accept it. Go ahead and print everything in Spanish, make Spanish a requirement to learn in school. If you can't beat'em, join'em.....right?

We would need a first official language before we could have a second...

Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
English will always be the unofficial "official" language of the United States, but unlike England's version of English, American English is a constantly changing thing. So I see sometime in the future our version of English containing numerous Spanish words and phrases, and most of us understanding everything being said.

As a conservative I want certain things to stay the same, but as an educator I understand that we as a society need to stop trying to put everything and everyone into tiny little categories and instead embrace what is good about each aspect of America's various cultures.

But that probably won't happen, as a country we have grown to cling onto our hatred of anything that is different from what we see in the mirror.
heh .. these English Only Advocates just slay me sometimes ...

Words like California, Colorado, Montana, San Francisco, San Antonio, San Diego, El Paso, Rio Grande, Taco, Texas, ... just to name a few, have been around since even before most Americans even knew how to read English .. **sigh**

And yet here we are, going on these big, nonsensical rants about how "English" should be the only language spoken here. It just boggles the mind.

I'll tell you what .. I speak only English .. my lot in life might have been greatly improved if I had learned to speak the Spanish/Mexican language years ago .. My wife, a born and bred Texan, was against all of this Spanish stuff at one time too, until I explained to her that knowing both can get you the very best of both worlds .. Here in Texas, it pays to know and understand both languages ... because, afterall, the Mexican culture has always been here, since even before there was a Republic of Texas ..

Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
the official undeclared language of America is legal language.

no one can understand laws and the lawyers use it to affect.

obama refers to the word, 'ally' and we find out that Obama's version of the word is not related to the general usage of the word 'ally'. So we have no hope of ever understanding what a law or lawyer says.

then you can have a written law in front of you with all simple words, each of which you know and still in the hands of the leagal system with appeals, interpretations and reversals...you have no hope of ever using that written law as a reference.

When legal language is witten in Spanish you may just as well have discoverd a stone tablet with scratch marks on it that came from the planet Mars.

Meanwhile the spanish speaking public are beguiled by their primary language invading our English but little do they know of the leagl beast waiting to consume them as well.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:23 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post

Words like California, Colorado, Montana, San Francisco, San Antonio, San Diego, El Paso, Rio Grande, Taco, Texas, ... just to name a few, have been around since even before most Americans even knew how to read English .. **sigh**

And yet here we are, going on these big, nonsensical rants about how "English" should be the only language spoken here. It just boggles the mind.

I'll tell you what .. I speak only English .. my lot in life might have been greatly improved if I had learned to speak the Spanish/Mexican language years ago .. My wife, a born and bred Texan, was against all of this Spanish stuff at one time too, until I explained to her that knowing both can get you the very best of both worlds .. Here in Texas, it pays to know and understand both languages ... because, afterall, the Mexican culture has always been here, since even before there was a Republic of Texas ..
Uh; many "foreign" words are now English. LOL

What DOES make me mad is employees of a store like Safeway talking away in Spanish while on duty. I'd feel the same way if it was Gaelic and I'm of Irish family. Word has it what freaks a Hispanic is talking in front of them in German, they get real upset.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yes, this is true. However, that hardly justifies the bombast of the English-speaking crowd who is angry because some people come into "their" country wanting to speak Spanish. They have no business talking about "illegal" immigrants or especially "illegal invaders."

The gall.
Ask the Aztecs when Cortez came to was is now Mexico. Same difference.

As you would say, "the gall". Sheesh!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Ask the Aztecs when Cortez came to was is now Mexico. Same difference.

As you would say, "the gall". Sheesh!
I'm taking the Aztec/Nahuatl side on this, too.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:29 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post

English "only" advocates? Your lies it what slays me. There is no English only laws being presented. Only English as our official langauge.

The Spanish culture is only predominant in the southwest and today that is mostly due to illegal immigration. Most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English so why should we learn English to communicate with them? I don't give a damn what language one chooses to speak at home but out in mainstream USA our language is English. If you know how to then why not speak it?

Those from the Spanish culture are not the only ones living in this country. Should we also learn the dozen or more other languages to placate everyone? English became our adopted language long ago. Don't like it then leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies