Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:00 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times

Advertisements

Ethnic studies should technically be under American Studies, but we all know it would only get like one page or two out of the entire book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Don't forget George Washington Carver and peanut butter!!
But he did all he did as an individual didn't he? Of course we should learn about him and other great inventors no matter their ethnicity or race.

Imagine the little kid whose grandparents came from some tiny obscure country when all the ethnicities and the great contributions made by separate little ethnic groups are taught in his school and he feels like he's nothing because no one of his ethnic group was anything. Not enough of his "kind" to even make a class.

And if you want to make it about ethnicities, then you would have to point out the ethnicity and race of the most inventors, the most presidents, patriots, and leaders -- and what does that give you? White studies? It's sure going to look like certain white ethnicities did the most if you want to put it at that level.

It should be all about the importance of individuals. The wonderful melting pot culture that America is -- because it doesn't matter where your ancestors came from, it's about where we are going as a nation, a people.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Ethnic studies should technically be under American Studies, but we all know it would only get like one page or two out of the entire book.
If you are from:

Sweden - you belong to an ethnic group
Spain - you belong to an ethnic group
Egypt - you belong to an ethnic group
Japan - you belong to an ethnic group
Brazil - you belong to an ethnic group
Congo - you belong to an ethnic group
Ireland - you belong to an ethnic group
Philippines - you belong to an ethnic group
United States - Wait a tic, we need to identify you, then chop you all up into 100 or more separate ethnic groups.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:09 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, history should include the various waves of immigrant groups but there's no point in ethnic studies.

It doesn't help you understand an individual unless that person is entrapped in their ethnicity but those people don't contribute to the USA and it's culture and progression.

You people want stereotyping - you want to judge individuals by their ethnicities, that's what it comes down to.

What of the child with grandparents from Vietnam? Because not a single Vietnamese ethnic fought the American Revolution, or signed the Declaration of Independence this country is less to that child or that child is less to this country? Because whites of various ethnicities wrote the Constitution, the Constitution belongs more to them?

And what if you are of an ethnicity that contributed zilch -- does that mean you are less as an individual?

Of course not - but that's why you and your ethnicists want to preach. The USA is about individualism. It matters nothing what your ancestors were, your accomplishments are yours.
Our past is more than the American Revolution and the writing of our Constitution. Understanding the cultures of the ethnic groups that have shaped this country, is not only interesting to know, but imperative. Without it, you may just be an individual with no understanding of those around you - in ignorant isolation, if you will

Having lived, and traveled throughout the Southwest, I
do not believe I could truly appreciate the people and things around me, if I didn't have the opportunity to learn
their culture and history. The pride and respect these ethnic groups have for themselves as a whole, is truly amazing.

As hot of an issue, illegal immigration is in Arizona today, it perplexes me that it wasn't so much, when many of our Mexican neighbors were building the cities of Phoenix and Tuscan back in the 1980's. To suddenly turn against the very ones who have made the State of Arizona an interesting place to visit; is not only senseless, but cruel.

Of course, I prefer New Mexico. They have a clear understanding that they have three distinct cultures. And even though they don't always mix- they respect each other. A lesson neighboring States could learn a lot from

Yes, individualism is a wonderful thing. But, we are all here together. We live in a multicultural society. It would help if if we had the knowledge and understanding as to the how and why we are here It usually results in compassion for others different than you; by studying their triumphs, struggles, and culture

Individually speaking, there can be nothing better
than that

Old 05-13-2010, 09:15 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
We've been on a destructive path of grouping and dividing people by race for a generation - actually more like two generations. It has damaged our social fabric to the point where we get almost nothing else done anymore aside from prejudicial finger pointing at other groups as the cause of all of our troubles in life.

Any step that moves away from that downhill slope to nothing but more strife and tension is a step in the right direction.
Agreed.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:17 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,126 times
Lightbulb Wapasha---You Get Props From The Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Well said. I agree with most of what you have said, with only a few exceptions.

1. A drone or a robot is someone who holds a firm and resolute opinion on an issue, but does not know why and cannot explain it. When pressed all they can say is they heard some politician or political organization say it, so they believe it.

2. As to this segment of white people who are bigots, wake up dude, there are bigots within every race, and even bigotry among people of the same race. It was black bigots who discriminated against people who were darker of skin then a brown paper bag.

According to "Michael Eric Dyson, New Orleans invented the brown paper bag party — usually at a gathering in a home — where anyone darker than the bag attached to the door was denied entrance.

3. Expressing the fear of the AZ law because you think people will be racially profiled, is not a sound basis to oppose the law, especially when we already have laws that state law enforcement officers cannot racially profile. We cannot ban every law that opens up the possibility of a police officer might be influenced by his own personal feelings, for example giving a speeding ticket to an ugly fat woman, but let some young hottie go free.

4. As to ethnic studies, the focus should be on the positives aspects of the people and their culture, and not used as a chance to discuss past injustices. Any people of any race or ethnic group can and have committed unjust acts, no race or culture is immune to this. For example, the study of Africa should not focus on the genocide in Rwanda and Darfur, or the enslavement of the Jews by the Egyptians.

If we want to teach about injustices, then teach a course about the horrors committed by humans, and cover the atrocities committed by every race, and every culture.
First off, know that this is one of a very few posts I have made in Politics lately...I was actually getting physically stressed from reading some of the threads, and then not thinking through my responses when I posted them...

Secondly, I'm honored that one of the more prolific posters took the time to both comment and compliment me on my post...I especially liked your 2nd point about intraracial bigotry as practiced by blacks...my parents and grandparents used to tell me stories about this very silly practice...

Third, I also liked your thoughts on the whole ethnic studies issue, but I gotta ask you point-blank: should Arizona flat-out ban ethnic studies, or would you be more comfortable if they retooled the courses so they were closer to the ideas you expressed in your 4th point?

Finally, one of the funny things about City-Data, and life itself, is this---I've read a LOT of your 'stuff' here (especially in Politics) and I'll be honest...I haven't always agreed with you all the time...but I will NOT hesitate to give props to someone who has hit a particular nail on the head, politcs and race notwithstanding...I wish it could be that way all the time

Old 05-13-2010, 10:35 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,050 times
From what I've read it doesn't ban all ethnic studies.

Direct quote from an article -
"The measure prohibits classes that advocate ethnic solidarity, that are designed primarily for students of a particular race or that promote resentment toward a certain ethnic group. It also prohibits classes that promote the overthrow of the U.S. government."

I really don't see a problem with that. If a class is truly about the study of certain groups, and all races are welcomed and encouraged to attend, it doesn't sound like it would be banned. If they are talking about overthrowing the governemnt, and whites keeping them oppressed, then that shouldn't be taught in publically funded schools.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:41 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They didn't have all these ethnic studies back when kids were being taught to read and write and perform math equations. Unless you are going to include every single ethnic group that exists, these are racist programs to promote only certain ethnicities.
I agree and anything to promote a nation of one people is ok with me. They dont' seem to scream about a lack of Asian/American studies, but then these immigrants seem to assimilate and avoid the victim status so popular today amongst some groups.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:37 AM

264 posts, read 457,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Oh my God, how dare they try to prevent public school teachers from teaching students they must overthrow the US Government or divide students based upon ethnic groups or advocate ethnic solidarity over treating pupils as individuals. How dare they try to do things like teach the English language, math, and other skills/knowledge the students will need to graduate high school.
Well said!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:27 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
From what I've read it doesn't ban all ethnic studies.

Direct quote from an article -
"The measure prohibits classes that advocate ethnic solidarity, that are designed primarily for students of a particular race or that promote resentment toward a certain ethnic group. It also prohibits classes that promote the overthrow of the U.S. government."

I really don't see a problem with that. If a class is truly about the study of certain groups, and all races are welcomed and encouraged to attend, it doesn't sound like it would be banned. If they are talking about overthrowing the governemnt, and whites keeping them oppressed, then that shouldn't be taught in publically funded schools.
The issue in part is how this thing will get enforced, especially with Horne (who is the one who pushed for the bill) as the current schools superintendent and running for AG (so will likely play a role in how this is enforced) seems like he wants all of these courses banned. These courses don't teach about overthrowing the government, they do touch on oppression and discrimination, but that is due to the fact it is a huge part of the history in this country to the way certain groups were treated and that shouldn't be ignored. It seems like Horne believes the bad stuff of the past should be swept under the rug and not be taught because it will lead to resentment. Thats simply a bunch of garbage, its part of history it should be taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies