Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:09 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How is oppression in Brazil related to Hispanic contribution to American history ?
Here's the product description from Amazon.com (which I would assume to be a neutral source).

Quote:
This text argues that the ignorance and lethargy of the poor are the direct result of the whole economic, social and political domination. The book suggests that in some countries the oppressors use the system to maintain a 'culture of silence'. Through the right kind of education, the book suggests, avoiding authoritarian teacher-pupil models and based on the actual experiences of students and on continual shared investigation, every human being, no matter how impoverished or illiterate, can develop a new awareness of self, and the right to be heard.
Based upon the TOC and the blub on Amazon, I don't believe the book is specifically about oppression in Brazil. My impression is that the book discusses the specific methodologies that can/should be used to educate those who have suffered economic, social or political domination. If you have actually read the book and can offer specific examples that indicate otherwise, I would be more than happy to hear them.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 03:29 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,432 times
I am getting ready to leave work, but I wanted to post a quick response.

I am not making any assumptions about your comments. Your position is clearly that the "ethnic studies" course is being taught from a specific POV. I am simply pointing out that ALL history courses are taught from a specific POV. Additionally, it has absolutely nothing to do with two wrongs making a right, as you have yet to identify any inaccurate or skewed information that is being taught in the "ethnic studies" courses.

Lastly, yes, I was taught about the discrimination that Italian, Irish, Chinese, Native Americans, Hispanics and blacks had to endure.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Solid way to make assumptions

By this though I have to ask if you are in the 2 wrongs make a right crowd.

In response to skewed world history books we are going to present more skewed world history books

okay then.............

And since you asked we did discuss the travels of columbus, the other expolers from that area, any potential history of those who may of made the route before, early charting and map making, trade routes, potential political motivations behind journies, and a pretty well rounded view of early colonial history

We were even able to discuss some similarities and differences between the early settlers on what is now north america and other areas during the same time periods, their traditions, technologies, etc

It wasn't "1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue discovered America, hung out with the natives and was widely applauded back in Europe for finding this cool new land - the end".

If you want to ask off topic questions, how much were you taught in schools about the systemic discrimination and lynching of Italian immigrants in the US? Aren't we doing a disservice to the nation if we don't include a full analysis of that in our history curriculum?

Old 05-14-2010, 03:34 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
You obviously can't even read the laws that were signed otherwise you would not have made this post.

You are even dumber than the Bush and Palin neoCONS

Please learn to read English and educate yourself.
Don't you mean even dumber than Obama and Biden?

Old 05-14-2010, 03:51 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
The Federal law does not permit Federal Agents to stop people based on "reasonable suspicion" of being an illegal. Also, Federal laws are to be enforced by federal authorities not every ho-hum cop with no training in such violations.
Gee. maybe MY thinking is wrong, but I was under the assumption that FEDERAL LAWS were laws enacted to cover the WHOLE COUNTRY. To me this means that "every ho-hum cop with no training" is authorized to enforce ANY federal law on the books. I never could see any reason for any state to enact their own laws when federal law clearly explains what needs to be done.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:00 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
It can't be carbon copy if it allows local cops to enforce federal laws. And why would one need to carbon copy a law that already super cedes it.
In the Federal Law they are deported, under the Arizona Law EVERYONE is charged with a Criminal Offense. So they aren't deported, they have to be given a hearing, they can't make bail since they are not citizens, and they can't pay a fine because they are unemployed. So the state will have to supply every illegal with an attorney for trial.

460,000 Baloney sandwiches please

Old 05-14-2010, 04:08 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
In the Federal Law they are deported, under the Arizona Law EVERYONE is charged with a Criminal Offense. So they aren't deported, they have to be given a hearing, they can't make bail since they are not citizens, and they can't pay a fine because they are unemployed. So the state will have to supply every illegal with an attorney for trial.

Which means that those who have the most to gain from SB 1070 are AZ's criminals who are US citizens, particularly its white criminals. And given that there are still white street criminals in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, and Sacramento (and perhaps even some in Oakland) there are assuredly still white street criminals in Phoenix.

Looks like Arizona is going to follow California in massive prisoner releases, and I don't mean just nonviolent drug users, prostitutes, petty thieves, etc. but armed robbers, rapists, pedos, violent gangbangers, etc. because there'll be nowhere to put them due to all the people picked up under SB 1070.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:25 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Gee. maybe MY thinking is wrong, but I was under the assumption that FEDERAL LAWS were laws enacted to cover the WHOLE COUNTRY. To me this means that "every ho-hum cop with no training" is authorized to enforce ANY federal law on the books. I never could see any reason for any state to enact their own laws when federal law clearly explains what needs to be done.
Yes, you're thinking was/is wrong. That's the same for federal agents. They can't enforce local ordinances just like a city cop can't enforce federal income tax law. It wouldn't make sense to have either fed or local enforcing laws they have no training in dealing with.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:43 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Which means that those who have the most to gain from SB 1070 are AZ's criminals who are US citizens, particularly its white criminals. And given that there are still white street criminals in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, and Sacramento (and perhaps even some in Oakland) there are assuredly still white street criminals in Phoenix.

Looks like Arizona is going to follow California in massive prisoner releases, and I don't mean just nonviolent drug users, prostitutes, petty thieves, etc. but armed robbers, rapists, pedos, violent gangbangers, etc. because there'll be nowhere to put them due to all the people picked up under SB 1070.
No, LAWYERS..... This law was written by Lawyers for Lawyers. They will make billions on the stupidity of local politicians

Old 05-14-2010, 05:30 PM

667 posts, read 940,614 times
Quote:
They've now made it illegal or at the very least dangerous for Hispanic Americans to move about freely and now illegal for kids to study anything but white history. We also know they didn't want to acknowledge the achievements of Martin L. King. Why not just file state legislation to reinstate segregation? It appears to be what they state wants.
HaHaHa,

go to Europa, all countries have more strictly laws as Arizona's.
And here is same information about Martin .L.King

Martin Luther King Jr. - A Historical Examination: The REAL truth about Martin Luther King Jr.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 PM

86 posts, read 259,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

And 460,000 pairs of pink boxers too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies