Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:26 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Everyone on this thread that is upset is a righty/conservative/teabagger etc..and the only media outlet that had this as a headline was ultra conservative foxnews..I also read the comments on foxnews following the article much of which focused on bashing anything and everything liberal and blaming liberals for muslims feeling "welcome" in "our" country..So yes, all my research leads me to believe that this is mostly a conservative whining point.

Great so you base your "facts" on a message board and one news channel reply sheet? Oh and no it is not only on Fox it was on at least 2 of the local NY news channels tonight. You really need to broaden your resource base cause you haven't got a clue. There are many, many victims that are upset.They are VICTIMS not left or right. Just VICTIMS!!!! Ugh you make me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Everyone on this thread that is upset is a righty/conservative/teabagger etc..and the only media outlet that had this as a headline was ultra conservative foxnews..I also read the comments on foxnews following the article much of which focused on bashing anything and everything liberal and blaming liberals for muslims feeling "welcome" in "our" country..So yes, all my research leads me to believe that this is mostly a conservative whining point.

This is NOT a right/left issue and it is NOT just Fox covering it. As a matter of fact this article from the AP is from May 6 days BEFORE Fox said anything about it.

The Associated Press: Mosque going up in NYC building damaged on 9/11

Quote:
But some 9/11 victims' families said they were angered that it would be built so close to where their relatives died.
"I don't like it," said Evelyn Pettigano, who lost a sister in the attacks, during a phone interview on Thursday. "I'm not prejudiced. ... It's too close to the area where our family members were murdered."

AND

New Yorkers Wary Of Plans To Build Mosque On 9/11 Site In New York City - cbs3.com (http://cbs3.com/topstories/ground.zero.mosque.2.1680415.html - broken link)

Quote:
But some 9/11 victims' families say the issue isn't tolerance.

It's sensitivity.

"I don't like it," said Evelyn Pettigano, who lost a sister in the attacks, during a phone interview on Thursday. "I'm not prejudiced. ... It's too close to the area where our family members were murdered."

"I lost my brother, Sean. He was a fireman," Rosaleen Tallon said.

"As an American I am so proud of our freedom of religion, but I also think we have to be historically sensitive to what happened in that area," Tallon said.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:37 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
So what if the media is covering it? This should be a non-issue. Americans, regardless of their religion are free to do anything that isn't deemed illegal. And this isn't. Get a life.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Great so you base your "facts" on a message board and one news channel reply sheet? Oh and no it is not only on Fox it was on at least 2 of the local NY news channels tonight. You really need to broaden your resource base cause you haven't got a clue. There are many, many victims that are upset.They are VICTIMS not left or right. Just VICTIMS!!!! Ugh you make me sick.
Some of those victims were likely muslim.

And just because they are victims that doesn't give them the right to impinge upon someone else's religious freedom.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:41 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
BS. Muslims didn't discover America in the 1990s, which is when America started becoming target of terrorism from extreme right wing Islamicists. But, I don't expect you to get it.
What are you talking about?

I merely stated it is "bad manners" to build a mosque and an Islamic disney-world 2 blocks away from ground zero. Have a little respect, a little couth for what your religion, albeit the extreme version of it, RECENTLY did to this country.

Unfortunately, with Rauf and his beliefs, being an investor in the purchase of the building and the founder of the "institution" that will reside in the building, I'm finding it hard to believe that it isn't a big old FU.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:43 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times
Quote:
So what if the media is covering it? This should be a non-issue. Americans, regardless of their religion are free to do anything that isn't deemed illegal. And this isn't. Get a life.
A non-issue?

How old are you?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Some of those victims were likely muslim.

And just because they are victims that doesn't give them the right to impinge upon someone else's religious freedom.

No one is impinging on anything. They are still free to practice their religion, no one said they couldn't but it is in very bad taste and is not very respectful.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:

A non-issue???? Nice of you to think that 3000 people dead is a non-issue.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:50 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
A non-issue???? Nice of you to think that 3000 people dead is a non-issue.
I can choose to ignore your stupidity, but seriously, get a life.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:50 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times
Quote:
This is NOT a right/left issue and it is NOT just Fox covering it. As a matter of fact this article from the AP is from May 6 days BEFORE Fox said anything about it.

The Associated Press: Mosque going up in NYC building damaged on 9/11

AND

New Yorkers Wary Of Plans To Build Mosque On 9/11 Site In New York City - cbs3.com (http://cbs3.com/topstories/ground.zero.mosque.2.1680415.html - broken link)
While I stand by my post about it being about people instead of religion, I can absolutely and totally understand why the family members and survivors of that day are upset. They have every right to be and they don't even have to qualify it by being PC. It's a personal loss to them. And if they aren't quite as understanding as some others, too bad. They don't have to be. They earned the right to object with their losses and pain and suffering.

And I will admit that on some level it bothers me as someone who watched it all unfold and who knew people affected by it. But it is much easier for me to try and be understanding than it is for the victim's families. Ultimately, if push came to shove, I would stand with the familes.

And just on a personal note: I don't think anything should be rebuilt on Ground Zero or nearby. It's a hallowed place. But money talks................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies