Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:32 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

ATLANTA, May 15 (UPI) -- U.S. white children have an overwhelming white bias, while black children also have a white bias but not to the same degree, a CNN-commissioned study found.

Nearly 60 years after American schools were desegregated by the lawsuit Brown vs. Board of Education, CNN commissioned a pilot study on children's racial beliefs, attitudes and preferences.

CNN: White, black children have white bias - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 08:02 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,096,532 times
Isn't this just an updated version of the study done from 20 years ago?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
This is not news. This is human nature. Light colors have always been attributed to positive, and dark colors have always been attributed to negative. When's the last time you saw a rainbow depicted with black, brown, dark blue, maroon, dark gray, etc? It shouldn't surprise anyone, at all, that this theory translates to skin color bias.

This entire study is a bunch of nothingness in my opinion.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
ATLANTA, May 15 (UPI) -- U.S. white children have an overwhelming white bias, while black children also have a white bias but not to the same degree, a CNN-commissioned study found.

Nearly 60 years after American schools were desegregated by the lawsuit Brown vs. Board of Education, CNN commissioned a pilot study on children's racial beliefs, attitudes and preferences.

CNN: White, black children have white bias - UPI.com
Not surprising at all.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:42 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times
I have questions about these test. Like which doll were these kids SUPPOSED to pick when asked which doll was the bad doll? If they picked the Black doll then the white kids would be viewed as racist and Black kids have self hate. But if they chosed the white doll as the bad doll then the Black kids will be viewed as not liking white people. The kids can't win with their picks either way. They need to come up with some other ways to study these kids views on race.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:12 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,399,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I have questions about these test. Like which doll were these kids SUPPOSED to pick when asked which doll was the bad doll? If they picked the Black doll then the white kids would be viewed as racist and Black kids have self hate. But if they chosed the white doll as the bad doll then the Black kids will be viewed as not liking white people. The kids can't win with their picks either way. They need to come up with some other ways to study these kids views on race.
It's the adults who use the word "bias". What I'm seeing is kids being kids. I raised a non-white kid with virtually no exposure to white people. She was offered anything she wanted, she chose a blond doll. Many years later, her daughter, at about the same age, did exactly the same thing.

I've posted on 3 sites now a suggestion the test be done in other, predominately, non-white countries, hell even Africa. I wager heavily the results would be close to the same.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:14 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
Historic colonialism, the news and media/film/television, commercials ie. television and magazine advertising, having power associated with things white, portraying material wealth and higher status attributable to things "white" have all contributed to a white bias slant. I am not surprised.

It starts when they are children and it begins with their exposure to commercials at a VERY early age.

Some studies claim as early as 2 years old they are affected by advertising.

http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/articl...vertising.html

Old 05-17-2010, 11:19 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,399,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Historic colonialism, the news and media/film/television, commercials ie. television and magazine advertising, having power associated with things white, portraying material wealth and higher status attributable to things "white" have all contributed to a white bias slant. I am not surprised.

It starts when they are children.

Children and Advertising - Children̢۪s Exposure to Television Advertising, Children̢۪s Comprehension of Television Advertising, Program-Commercial Discrimination
Conspiracy theories.

I have experience, they're just philosophizing.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:23 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This is not news. This is human nature. Light colors have always been attributed to positive, and dark colors have always been attributed to negative. When's the last time you saw a rainbow depicted with black, brown, dark blue, maroon, dark gray, etc? It shouldn't surprise anyone, at all, that this theory translates to skin color bias.

This entire study is a bunch of nothingness in my opinion.
The rainbow includes blue, purple, etc. http://www.gettysburgflag.com/images/OrigRainbow.jpg

This one has maroon lol
http://trustearthpulse.com/blog/wp-c..._contrast1.jpg

Your analysis here has me scratching my head. Is this based on something other than Disney movies 30 years ago, or do you have something more specific in mind?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:30 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
Conspiracy theories.
What conspiracy would that be?

By your argument the promotion of what is white is good and what is not is bad implies intent as opposed to simply a dominate culture based upon a racial hierarchy promoting its own "virtuous" self-image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies