Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:41 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,463,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyBoh View Post
My reading comprehension is fine, sad you can't think out of the box and see the BIG picture. Eyeroll right back atcha Leroy. Oh yeah, it's transferable, not transferrable.
Oh yeah, and actually both are acceptable.

Transferrable | Define Transferrable at Dictionary.com
Transferable | Define Transferable at Dictionary.com
transferrable - definition of transferrable by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

And your logical interpretation of what Pelosi was trying to convey is obviously also still wrong. The point was about enabling people to follow career paths that best fit their goals and talents, not inviting everyone in the country to permanently live on welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:45 PM

33 posts, read 15,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Oh yeah, and actually both are acceptable.

Transferrable | Define Transferrable at Dictionary.com
Transferable | Define Transferable at Dictionary.com
transferrable - definition of transferrable by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

And your logical interpretation of what Pelosi was trying to convey is obviously also still wrong. The point was about enabling people to follow career paths that best fit their goals and talents, not inviting everyone on welfare.
I claimed she invited everyone to get on welfare? Why NO I didn't I advocated working for it, a novel idea no doubt. Some mystical mythical mind**** you're smoking.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I claimed she invited everyone to get on welfare? Why NO I didn't I advocated working for it, a novel idea no doubt. Some mystical mythical mind**** you're smoking.
You implied that she advocated the opposite. She didn't. Although I think her choice of words wasn't the best, I think it's pretty clear that the intent was to elucidate the potential benefits of career mobility when health insurance is decoupled from a specific employer. That does not mean that the health insurance is free and/or that one does not need to pay for it.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
You implied that she advocated the opposite. She didn't. So that either makes you wrong or a liar. Take your pick.
No, it makes you a fool and I quote my exact quote "Want health care? Try WORKING for it, it's not anyone's responsibility but your own." It says nothing about advocacy does it? This makes you either stupid or a liar, in your case possibly both.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:54 PM

27,164 posts, read 15,341,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
"Pelosi said, “a bill that says to someone, if you want to be creative and be a musician or whatever, you can leave your work, focus on your talent, your skill, your passion, your aspirations because you will have health care.â€

If true, sounds great to me. One shouldn't be at risk of not having health insurance because they choose to pursue their passion. I hope Nancy keeps telling it like it is.

That is some fairytale distorted thinking.
If a person is not responsible for themselves than they SHOULD have a lot to worry about.

You don't take responsibility for yourself, you put yourself at risk.
It is not the job of others to make your life a bed of roses.

Making some work for the benefit of others without it being their choice is nothing short of slavery.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,097,922 times
Quote:
She is saying that with this in place, people can be more mobile in terms of getting to the kind of work they really want and are best at - i.e., following your talents, skills, aspirations, etc.
...or people with no talent can now take jobs no one wants to pay them to do without fear of losing their health care.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
No, it makes you a fool and I quote my exact quote "Want health care? Try WORKING for it, it's not anyone's responsibility but your own." It says nothing about advocacy does it? This makes you either stupid or a liar, in your case possibly both.
You've fixated on the incorrect word. The operational word here that supports my assertion is "implied". As I said, your post IMPLIES that her statement is in contrasting conflict with yours (i.e., that she advocates or supports the contrasting viewpoint). To imply means to suggest a certain thing to be the case without explicitly stating it, and that's exactly what you did. And I'm sorry, but you're still wrong in that stance. This is entire debate not about your political persuasion so much as it is about logical interpretation of the English language. If you're having issues with that, I would suggest you not take your frustrations out on me. I scored in the 99th percentile on the English reasoning portion when I took my GMAT, so I don't believe that I am significantly off base here.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
You've fixated on the incorrect word. The operational word here that supports my assertion is "implied". As I said, your post IMPLIES that her statement is in contrasting conflict with yours (i.e., that she advocates or supports the contrasting viewpoint). To imply means to suggest a certain thing to be the case without explicitly stating it, and that's exactly what you did.

And I'm sorry, but you're still wrong in that viewpoint. This is entire debate not about political persuasion so much as it is about logical interpretation of the English language. If you're having issues with that, I would suggest you not take your frustrations out on me. I scored in the 99th percentile on the English / logical reasoning portion when I took the GMAT, so I don't believe that I am significantly off base here.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:10 AM

10,230 posts, read 15,946,459 times
Say what yall want about George W. Bush, when he was President he made mistakes but we didn't have this almost daily kind of idiocy coming from the White House. Not just Obama but the majority of his staff and friends are the same.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
You've fixated on the incorrect word. The operational word here that supports my assertion is "implied". As I said, your post IMPLIES that her statement is in contrasting conflict with yours (i.e., that she advocates or supports the contrasting viewpoint). To imply means to suggest a certain thing to be the case without explicitly stating it, and that's exactly what you did. And I'm sorry, but you're still wrong in that stance. This is entire debate not about your political persuasion so much as it is about logical interpretation of the English language. If you're having issues with that, I would suggest you not take your frustrations out on me. I scored in the 99th percentile on the English reasoning portion when I took my GMAT, so I don't believe that I am significantly off base here.
No, I'm not fixated on anything but the truth that eludes you. Exactly where did I imply anything? Perhaps you don't grasp Nan's Baltimorese and what she's saying. It's she (used loosely) that's implying, not me, I'm stating fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies