Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:18 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,633,586 times

Advertisements

Halting all immigration would include things like international adoptions, family reunifications, legitimate political refugees, visiting scholars, and so on.

But it's a perfectly fair question; the immigration system itself is one hell of a mess. It is a mishmash of overlapping priorities and regulations and bureaucrats. It certainly needs an overhaul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 07:26 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,420,037 times
What a ridiculous idea.

This country was founded on immigration.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:27 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,251 times
What would stopping legal immigration do to help solve the illegal immigration problem? Should we stop kids from going to school until we fix education? The answers are nothing and not at all.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,469,320 times
Stop illegal immigration? Yes. That's a rhetorical question but figure I'd state it.

Stop legal immigration? No. One of the foundations of this nation is the immigrant and it would be ironic to stop it not to mention I am unaware of how legal immigration is harming this country.

Add criteria (to those that already exist) that qualifies/disqualifies immigration applicants? Yes. I don't think it is necessary to accept all who come to the door. However, I don't think that the bar should be set so high that only the wealthy or those with vital skills would be allowed to immigrate. After all, if they were already wealthy or had vital skills, why would they immigrate here? Also, there are a lot of people (such as myself) who came here with nothing and made something of themselves.

Add a quota that limits the number of immigrants per year? Yes. Integration and assimilation take time.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:44 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Aside from very wealthy individuals or those with vital skills which are in shortage and will contribute to our society. Just seems that with so many unemployed, so many immigrants who have zero loyalty to this nation as well as the added stress they put on our deteriorating infrastructure that it makes no sense to 'allow more people to jump onto our sinking ship' as another poster here so fittingly put it.
In my opinion while we are a "nation of immigrants" we need to take a pause and let things balance out for a while as we have many times in the past.

Thoughts?
Illegal immigration should be stopped completely, but not legal immigration. For example, foreign students attending US universities are legal aliens. Then think about foreign companies (oil, gold, etc.) who operate in the US; these people are legal aliens too. Foreign tourists visiting the US are legal aliens, Canadians visiting the US are legal aliens. How about foreign pilots and crews flying commercial aircraft around the US? These are legal aliens.

You also have to consider the people who want to become legal residents, too. Some of them may be soldiers' wives, their kids born overseas, and such. Some of these people have to wait from one to several years in order to legally immigrate to the US. Also, there are certain work skills that new generations of Americans have no idea about, and US companies, even governments (Federal, State) often have to recruit the right people to do the work. These jobs could be from scientists to carpenters.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:28 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,918,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Halting all immigration would include things like international adoptions, family reunifications, legitimate political refugees, visiting scholars, and so on.

But it's a perfectly fair question; the immigration system itself is one hell of a mess. It is a mishmash of overlapping priorities and regulations and bureaucrats. It certainly needs an overhaul.
You hit a home run with this comment. But, I fear, there is too much ideology and vested interests - on both sides - to make it happen.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:28 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,213 times
Quote:
No we should not halt immigration. We should raise the bar though.
Where should the bar be? Require that all immigrants be smarter than the average American?

Old 05-18-2010, 07:48 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
What a ridiculous idea.

This country was founded on immigration.
It is not the legal immigrants that cause any problems. And there are tons of lazy, give me a hand-out, don't want to work, don't care about going to school, don't want to vote, types in this country. They are the real burden on society.

I'm not a US- citizen. I moved to the US in October 1999, as an Army wife. I started to work 2 weeks after I arrived.
This year I'm going back to school and I want to Major in Nursing or Occupational therapist.
I am also applying for my citizen ship this fall. I have been studying the Naturalization test and I'm ready. It will cost me a total of $670.
I can't Waite!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:51 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
The US grew and became what it is because of immigration, European immigration. And generally we don't need to ask someone of European descent what his origins are because his culture is American. English, Irish, Russians, Serbs, and all the rest come here and become assimilated. That's what matters. This isn't an economic issue. It's a cultural issue. It's about whether America will remain America.

There are settlements in the Southwest where the ancestors of those living there came to what is now America centuries ago. But they still speak Spanish as their first language. They can't, they won't assimilate. They're not part of our culture. Spaniards come here and assimilate easily. But the mestizos refuse. They wish the economic benefits; but they despise our nation.

In all the world there is only one ethnic group, apart from Europeans, who come here, sadly not often anymore, and work hard to assimilate, to be real Americans. That ethnic group is the Japanese. None of the other groups from Asia does. No group from anywhere does this. So let's do the obvious. let's limit immigration, now and forever, to people of European and Japanese descent.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The US grew and became what it is because of immigration, European immigration. And generally we don't need to ask someone of European descent what his origins are because his culture is American. English, Irish, Russians, Serbs, and all the rest come here and become assimilated. That's what matters. This isn't an economic issue. It's a cultural issue. It's about whether America will remain America.

There are settlements in the Southwest where the ancestors of those living there came to what is now America centuries ago. But they still speak Spanish as their first language. They can't, they won't assimilate. They're not part of our culture. Spaniards come here and assimilate easily. But the mestizos refuse. They wish the economic benefits; but they despise our nation.

In all the world there is only one ethnic group, apart from Europeans, who come here, sadly not often anymore, and work hard to assimilate, to be real Americans. That ethnic group is the Japanese. None of the other groups from Asia does. No group from anywhere does this. So let's do the obvious. let's limit immigration, now and forever, to people of European and Japanese descent.

I assume this entire speech was satire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies