Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:13 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times

Advertisements

The comment I said above I'll explain why now.

A few years ago when I lived in the suburbs of Miami, there was a local saloon I would go to sometimes. It was known for some rough types, not all but some. If you went to restroom you might see a couple peeps doing some coke. Maybe you might see some smoking a joint in the parking lot, But not everybody was like that there.

So one night I heard a band that I knew was going to play there, so I decided to go and have a few beers. When I was pulling up to the place I saw headlights and activity everywhere, I couldn't really see what was going on so I assumed it was a hopping Saturday night.

So I parked at the gas station sign that seperated the property of the bar and the gas station. When I got out of my car it was then I realized what all the activity was. SWAT/VICE had mulitple vehicles blocking the bar, there were a couple dozen police in black masks with MP5's and shotguns.

They had raided the bar and had everyone lined up outside handcuffed with tie straps. Now I am at the sign between the bar and gas station 50 yds away from everything. I stood there for 5 minutes watching everything, cops in masks walked by me, looked at me and didn't say anything.

So I went to leave and then get rushed with guns in my face. They dragged me out of the car, accused me of attempting to flee. Had me spread on the car with weapons trained on me, using fowl language the whole time.

They searched my car, found a gun magazine (as in reading magazine) which then they really searched my car for weapons, which I had none. Took my wallet out, called me in. After a while they let me go but the prick holding a gun at me was "shut the f*** up, don't say a f***ing word when I tried to ask them that why for 5 minutes they looked at me standing there, didn't do anything then when I went to leave rush me.

All that to bust some possible drugs , I don't mind everyday cops but SWAT/VICE are a different animal.

Last edited by lionking; 05-19-2010 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 03:53 PM

11,253 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keroppininja View Post
Missouri SWAT Criticized for Killing Dogs. Finally. (With Video) — MPP Blog

Anyone who defends this doesn't give a rats a$$ about freedom in this country!

This is only another reason why the Cannabis prohibition needs to stop, the government is helping no one and harming many by kicking in doors and killing people and animals in the attempt to confiscate a small amount of pot.
Not trying to pick a fight here, but is this thread about you having an issue with the way the SWAT team neutralized the potential threats in the house, or the current marijuana laws in this country?

Just for the record, I have two dogs of my own that I love very much, and I would have no issue with the legalization of marijuana in the U.S.

That being said, for what they found in the house, the raid was a fail. Let's say, though, they found a cultivation operation and multiple illegal automatic weapons while serving the warrant. Would you still have the same attitude about the raid?

Something that family did, or someone that they associated with, led police to that residence, regardless of the reason. It is sad that innocent pets had to die, and listening to their cries in the background was difficult, but the cops have a job to do like any other person, and it is their right in the line of duty to eliminate potential threats. Had the owners of the house not put themselves into a position that warrented the issuance of a search warrant, their pet(s) would still be alive.

I blame the owners. At the same time, I agree that marijuana legalization is long overdue in the U.S.. But for now, they were still committing an unlawful act by possessing a controlled substance.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:58 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Not trying to pick a fight here, but is this thread about you having an issue with the way the SWAT team neutralized the potential threats in the house, or the current marijuana laws in this country?
Not speaking for the OP but for me, both.

Quote:
That being said, for what they found in the house, the raid was a fail. Let's say, though, they found a cultivation operation and multiple illegal automatic weapons while serving the warrant. Would you still have the same attitude about the raid?
Yes.

Well, the guns are iffy, but if they had a warrant for the guns, that might be different (but guns aren't the issue here anyway). But a warrant for pot - cultivation or a small amount, it's all fascist BS in my opinion. Especially this style of raid where they bust in in a guilty-until-proven-innocent manner.

Quote:
Something that family did, or someone that they associated with, led police to that residence, regardless of the reason. It is sad that innocent pets had to die, and listening to their cries in the background was difficult, but the cops have a job to do like any other person, and it is their right in the line of duty to eliminate potential threats. Had the owners of the house not put themselves into a position that warrented the issuance of a search warrant, their pet(s) would still be alive.
I believe a neighbor "tipped" them off. That could happen to anyone. You get along with all your neighbors, right?

Quote:
I blame the owners. At the same time, I agree that marijuana legalization is long overdue in the U.S.. But for now, they were still committing an unlawful act by possessing a controlled substance.
You don't blame the law or the hasty warrant-acquiring process at all?

Old 05-19-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I believe a neighbor "tipped" them off. That could happen to anyone. You get along with all your neighbors, right?

You don't blame the law or the hasty warrant-acquiring process at all?
As a matter of fact, we get along with every one of our neighbors within 5 houses on either side of ours and the same across the street. We also look out for each others well being.

I believe this particular case could have, and should have, been handled differently. It was not a good scene. On the flipside, I have many friends in law enforcement, and I know that their jobs are not a walk in the park, either. There does need to be some form of compromise, but violent offenders ruin it for decent people, even if that decent person was in the process of committing a petty criminal act.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:50 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
I'm a little puzzled by the fact that people are so riled up about the dogs being shot but no one seems to mind that the cops managed to get a warrant based on some tip without a shred of evidence.
Does this mean we can all expect to be raided every time a neighbor gets annoyed about grass trimmings that get blown into their yard?

Old 05-19-2010, 06:01 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Hearing those dogs (or the dog) cry breaks my heart. The stupidity of humans never ceases to amaze me. It's more of a guarantee than death and taxes.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You first. I have been attacked by "friendly" dogs, even Labs, in peoples houses.

When the police raid a house the first thing on their mind is personal safety. Second is nutralize ANY threat. A lot of the houses the police raid have trainned attack dogs.

Would you be as irate if the police did not shoot the dogs and the dogs in turn and attacked the police?

Quit defending criminals.
You are the one defending criminals. The police are acting worse than the thugs they are supposed to be fighting against.

You really think police should be kicking in the door of a house with a woman and a child in it, discharging a firearm in the dark, all to arrest a man for a misdemeanor possession of pot. Putting an innocent child's life in danger just to make sure the drug enforcement allotment of funds is spent is apparently okay with people like you. The dog may or may not have been an attack dog. Even if the dog was, you still think it is okay to kick down a door and fire shots near an innocent child just to enforce a law that is a massive oppression of liberty. Sad. The sooner this country moves past the generation full of ignorant morons who support a war against its citizens, the better.

While it is sad good cops get killed in the line of duty and my heart goes out to their families, it is bad cops and thug tactics such as those in the video that get a bullseye put on a cops head and ends up getting good cops and innocent bystanders killed every day on the streets of America.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:17 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
All I can say is Karma is a beotch.... and these pigs are not immune. They risk others for what? less than a gram of pot, you could find more cocaine off of any $20 bill in your wallet.... and if they tested it and it turned pos they would confiscate it, regardless of if you ever had a connection to drugs...

I don't feel safer with these nazis in uniform.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
All I can say is Karma is a beotch.... and these pigs are not immune. They risk others for what? less than a gram of pot, you could find more cocaine off of any $20 bill in your wallet.... and if they tested it and it turned pos they would confiscate it, regardless of if you ever had a connection to drugs...

I don't feel safer with these nazis in uniform.
Pigs and Nazi's. Those are harsh words. Are you calling all law enforcement these names, or are you just referring to this particular SWAT team? I agree that this was an ugly scene, but I think that 90% of U.S. law enforcement would have handle this warrant the same way. Their warrant was not issued to seize a gram of pot. No judge would sign off on that.

I hope those words of your's are geared only towards this particular SWAT team. A mistake was made. Life goes on. There are a lot of dedicated people in our nations police forces. Don't dis the men in blue. They may save your life one of these day's.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:09 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,197 times
Good God Almighty. These [expletive deleted] couldn’t have tazered or tranquilized the animals? They showed them all right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies