Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 07:19 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,026,142 times

Advertisements

My 5th grader came home from school with this poem given to her by her teacher. The poem is representative of what she is being taught about our country and its leaders:

How to be Thomas Jefferson
by Barry Lane

Write like an angel.
Live in your mind.
Have your heart broken many times.
Declare all men equal,
and never release your 200 slaves.
Buy lots of real estate from Frenchmen
without looking at it.
Live beyond your means
and owe lots of money.
Never finish the house
that years later will appear
on the back side of a nickel.

I don't find it funny and I don't think its appropriate to be given to a fifth grader. It is only one example of many in which I have seen the school make a mockery of our country, its leaders, history, flag, etc. Is it any wonder that we have a growing nation of citizens who seem to lack a sense of pride in our country and are so overridden with a sense of guilt that they cave in to every piece of politically correct coersion thrown at them? Sad. I find it sad. Is this how you want your children taught? Is this how you want your tax dollars used?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 07:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
It's a push to be more global and less nationalistic.

Global citizens, global economy, global labor force, global companies. The youth of today will be taught to be global citizens of tomorrow.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:24 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,941,220 times
Wow your child was taught the truth, not a sanitized mystification of America's glorious past? That's so terrible. Maybe you should move to Texas.

Texas schools board rewrites US history with lessons promoting God and guns | World news | The Guardian

They want to call the slave trade the "Atlantic Triangular Trade". Sounds so much nicer, doesn't it? Much better fit for the younguns.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:25 PM

201 posts, read 235,949 times
most public schools have sucked for at least 40 years
if anyone really cared, they would be "fixed"
all the cry baby teachers would **** and kids would learn something rather than the wild extremes of Texas Theocracy and Looney Toon social justice.

how about science, math, literature and music rather than creationism, cultural garbage and "sports"

Old 05-18-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's a push to be more global and less nationalistic.

Global citizens, global economy, global labor force, global companies. The youth of today will be taught to be global citizens of tomorrow.
Yes. That is exactly what I am seeing in my child's schoolwork. There is no teaching of much to do with America and when it is included, its mocked or belittled to discourage kids from being proud of being American...

Old 05-18-2010, 07:31 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,176,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
My 5th grader came home from school with this poem given to her by her teacher. The poem is representative of what she is being taught about our country and its leaders:

How to be Thomas Jefferson
by Barry Lane

Write like an angel.
Live in your mind.
Have your heart broken many times.
Declare all men equal,
and never release your 200 slaves.
Buy lots of real estate from Frenchmen
without looking at it.
Live beyond your means
and owe lots of money.
Never finish the house
that years later will appear
on the back side of a nickel.

I don't find it funny and I don't think its appropriate to be given to a fifth grader. It is only one example of many in which I have seen the school make a mockery of our country, its leaders, history, flag, etc. Is it any wonder that we have a growing nation of citizens who seem to lack a sense of pride in our country and are so overridden with a sense of guilt that they cave in to every piece of politically correct coersion thrown at them? Sad. I find it sad. Is this how you want your children taught? Is this how you want your tax dollars used?
In what context was the poem being taught?

I just looked it up and saw it here: Discover Writing - FOR STUDENTS

as one of two sample "'How To' poems: These poems are a manual for
becoming anything you are studying."

also here, both of the above poems, on a page by their author: Barry Lane - Research Alternatives

"The 'How to' Poem
"A 'How To' poem is a list poem form which can be used effectively to play around with specific facts we have researched. Start by making lists about your subject, then order them for best effect. (Tip: Jokes come in threes. Try putting your surprising fact third.)"

Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
Yes. That is exactly what I am seeing in my child's schoolwork. There is no teaching of much to do with America and when it is included, its mocked or belittled to discourage kids from being proud of being American...
Many don't see this but some do. It will take another generation or two before it's just commonly accepted as the way of life.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
In what context was the poem being taught?

I just looked it up and saw it here: Discover Writing - FOR STUDENTS

as one of two sample "'How To' poems: These poems are a manual for
becoming anything you are studying."

also here, both of the above poems, on a page by their author: Barry Lane - Research Alternatives

"The 'How to' Poem
"A 'How To' poem is a list poem form which can be used effectively to play around with specific facts we have researched. Start by making lists about your subject, then order them for best effect. (Tip: Jokes come in threes. Try putting your surprising fact third.)"
I really don't think it matters what context. She is a child in the 5th grade. First she should be taught some basic facts and to be proud of her country. Later, in high school they can start bringing in controversial issues. Her image of herself is still forming.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Many don't see this but some do. It will take another generation or two before it's just commonly accepted as the way of life.
It makes me sad. Does it make you sad, too?

Old 05-18-2010, 07:42 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,176,379 times
Quote:
I really don't think it matters what context. She is a child in the 5th grade. First she should be taught some basic facts and to be proud of her country. Later, in high school they can start bringing in controversial issues. Her image of herself is still forming.
I understand what you're saying, but context absolutely matters -- it couldnt matter more. Did you look at either of the links? Or the quotes from their pages? Or ask your child or the teacher what the purpose was of teaching this poem, or whether the heart poem was included in the lesson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies