Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:59 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,587,928 times

Advertisements

Why are we even surprised what is happening to our schools?

All our college are filled up with anti-American liberal professors. They are the ones training our public school teachers who graduate from these colleges.

The sad thing is liberals say that these kids are being taught to think "critically".

I'm not the smartest guy in the world but I thought you need to learn all sides of history to be a critical thinker. Our kids are only taught one thing and that is how bad America is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:00 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,030,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I understand what you're saying, but context absolutely matters -- it couldnt matter more. Did you look at either of the links? Or the quotes from their pages? Or ask your child or the teacher what the purpose was of teaching this poem, or whether the heart poem was included in the lesson?
Yes. I had already done some research and had checked out the links. And, yes I saw the "heart" poem. My daughter said they read the poems aloud in class. She felt they were "weird," and didn't know why they read them. They read a lot of stuff that is "dark" and I find inappropriate for 10 year olds and she doesn't like; books with profanity, antichristianity, violence, sex... BTW, did you see the "Top Ten" David Letterman list on the linked site of the author who wrote the Jefferson poem? One of the reasons listed for "Reasons to Stay in School" was so that you could get to "date the cute math teacher." I just find this kind of humor regarding student/teacher dating inappropriate for kids. But, I am digressing. Its getting late and time for me to go to bed. Thanks for your input. have a good evening.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:02 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,470,675 times
I never knew it was the school's responsibility to teach national pride to children. No more than I would expect them to instill a moral compass in my child or teach them to tie their laces. Isn't this the job of a parent? Rather than finger-pointing at the school, perhaps you should look to take over this responsibility yourself.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:02 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,363,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Many don't see this but some do. It will take another generation or two before it's just commonly accepted as the way of life.
Did you notice the two libs that got between the two of you? I bet they were taught that way and that neither is much over 25, if that.

See the Glenn Beck show from today to see just what libs are about to accomplish that will destroy this nation faster than anything I can think of. This kind of crap is involved.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:05 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,363,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I understand what you're saying, but context absolutely matters -- it couldnt matter more. Did you look at either of the links? Or the quotes from their pages? Or ask your child or the teacher what the purpose was of teaching this poem, or whether the heart poem was included in the lesson?
I think you are talking at a person who thinks much like we need more people thinking and working. See the Beck show from today to see just what THEY are doing to try to kill religion. First they went after our founders and now they are trying to destroy religion completely.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:09 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,944,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Why are we even surprised what is happening to our schools?

All our college are filled up with anti-American liberal professors. They are the ones training our public school teachers who graduate from these colleges.

The sad thing is liberals say that these kids are being taught to think "critically".

I'm not the smartest guy in the world but I thought you need to learn all sides of history to be a critical thinker. Our kids are only taught one thing and that is how bad America is.
This is nonsense. I know lots of high school teachers and both of my siblings are going through the public school system right now.

Most schools still teach overwhelmingly positive interpretations of American history, and the harshest truths regarding the treatment of Native Americans, slaves, and the United States actions in warfare are either completely elided or discussed very briefly.

Perspectives which cast American history "negatively," as some of you people want to describe it, are still in the minority, it's just that people freak out when instances of it become evident.

Sorry that you think your children can't handle the fact that America has done lots of messed up stuff, but it's the truth. The fact that some of you think that this is teaching kids to be ashamed of America is humorous to me.

Would you prefer curricula that deify our founders and ignore all the terrible events in American history so that we can keep national morale high?

Old 05-18-2010, 08:09 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,470,675 times
Yeah, nice try boyfriend - but I am neither a liberal nor ANYWHERE near 25 (much to my own disappointment on the 25 thing!). Wanna another try to turn this into a Liberal vs. Conservative thread? I know that seems to be the easy way out these days. Sorry I don't fit one of your particular molds. And I tend not to form my opinions on what the talking heads of media want to decide for me. Thanks to the excellent education I received, I am quite able to form my own opinions. You might want to give it a shot sometime. Whole brave new world out there just waiting for ya.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,999,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
My 5th grader came home from school with this poem given to her by her teacher. The poem is representative of what she is being taught about our country and its leaders:

How to be Thomas Jefferson
by Barry Lane

Write like an angel.
Live in your mind.
Have your heart broken many times.
Declare all men equal,
and never release your 200 slaves.
Buy lots of real estate from Frenchmen
without looking at it.
Live beyond your means
and owe lots of money.
Never finish the house
that years later will appear
on the back side of a nickel.

I don't find it funny and I don't think its appropriate to be given to a fifth grader. It is only one example of many in which I have seen the school make a mockery of our country, its leaders, history, flag, etc. Is it any wonder that we have a growing nation of citizens who seem to lack a sense of pride in our country and are so overridden with a sense of guilt that they cave in to every piece of politically correct coersion thrown at them? Sad. I find it sad. Is this how you want your children taught? Is this how you want your tax dollars used?
GottaBMe !!! ... Agree 100%

How sadly and disgustingly idiotic the current insidious situation regarding public education has truly become ! The unbelievable foolishness of this obviously PC brand of education is utterly sickening !

America desperately needs to rid itself of this most destructive type of teaching and regain absolute control of the engines of American Education ASAP !

Thank you / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,714,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you notice the two libs that got between the two of you? I bet they were taught that way and that neither is much over 25, if that.
Yes, I read the two posts bashing Texas but chose to ignore them because that certainly doesn't pertain to this thread.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:14 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,944,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes, I read the two posts bashing Texas but chose to ignore them because that certainly doesn't pertain to this thread.
You're right, the fact that school boards are trying to whitewash American history has nothing to with the kind of sentiment expressed in the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies