Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,031,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Pull your kid out of public schools. Do something about it, don't just rant.

And I don't know where you live, but at my kids school they have American day every year (learn about the history of America, sing songs, etc.), they have a school wide veterans day assembly each year which they are required to dress up for an write essays on why they're proud to be Americans, and they also do many other things throughout the year.

Where do you live? It might be different in the states near the border or with a high population of immigrants but I've never heard of one dishonorable thing said about America at their school.

And I agree, it's sad how people aren't prou to be Americans anymore. And it's not just at the public schools.
Your school sounds great. Midwest no doubt. Yes, we are doing something. This will be our last year in the public schools. Counting the days. I post because I hope to make other people aware of what is going on in some of the public schools and see if anyone cares. I wouldn't have believed it if I had not experienced it myself. We moved to the Northeast about a year ago and I have been flabbergasted at what goes on in the schools here (top rated, by the way.) Doesn't seem to faze many. But it does me. I was raised in the midwest, myself - wish I could move back but its not in the cards. Anyway, thanks for the response. Have a good evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,374,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Yeah, nice try boyfriend - but I am neither a liberal nor ANYWHERE near 25 (much to my own disappointment on the 25 thing!). Wanna another try to turn this into a Liberal vs. Conservative thread? I know that seems to be the easy way out these days. Sorry I don't fit one of your particular molds. And I tend not to form my opinions on what the talking heads of media want to decide for me. Thanks to the excellent education I received, I am quite able to form my own opinions. You might want to give it a shot sometime. Whole brave new world out there just waiting for ya.
I think you are talking to me and I didn't see you in the two people I was talking about. You mistook but it is okay by me. We certainly do not agree since I know what is being taught today from being an old history teacher who saw this whole thing coming in the middle 80s.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:25 PM

2,196 posts, read 2,000,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you notice the two libs that got between the two of you? I bet they were taught that way and that neither is much over 25, if that.

See the Glenn Beck show from today to see just what libs are about to accomplish that will destroy this nation faster than anything I can think of. This kind of crap is involved.
roysoldboy !!! ... Agreed !

You are correct as usual ! This pathetic crew represents no less than a dangerous plague that has been released upon America !

Lunatics which are totally oblivious to the fact that they also utterly destroy themselves as they foolishly continue in their madness !

How completely insane can the human race be ???

Thank you / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 05-18-2010, 08:28 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,374,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
roysoldboy !!! ... Agreed !

You are correct as usual ! This pathetic crew represents no less than a dangerous plague that has been released upon America !

Lunatics which are totally oblivious to the fact that they also utterly destroy themselves as they foolishly continue in their madness !

How completely insane can the human race be ???

Thank you / Old Sgt. Lamar
That plague has been maintained by the NEA and various presidents. It sickens me to hear things like Nasty Nancy Pelosi threw at that bunch of Catholic priests of various levels the other day. All she wants is to turn the things that churches teach over to the liberal government so they can finish their job on the Christian religion in this nation.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:31 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,582,966 times
Is this how communist countries got control of it's citizens? First make people ashamed of their country, then their God, then their family. Poems will be how destructive your parents are and how backwards. You belong to the government now.

SICK, SICK, SICK.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Are we really so fragile? Isn't one of those ideals that we're supposed to be proud of STRENGTH? SO we're a strong country, we stand for our ideals like freedom and equality-- unless someone writes a poem? Then we fold like a tent, cry and complain?

Being a good citizen is not the same as being a jingoistic simpleton who can only see things as good and bad... Being proud of America doesn't mean erasing the parts of our history that aren't so pretty.

Life is complex. It's not a simple good versus bad. The country and her heroes are complex. Benjamin Franklin was a womanizer... FDR hid his disability from the country... Surprise... No ones perfect. Understanding the complexity of people is part of what makes studying our country interesting.

It's called history, not cheerleading... Even a 5th grader knows that.
So, uh...you think she should learn about Ben's womanizing next? C'mon...there's developmental stuff going on here. I don't like Obama, but I don't diss him (much) in front of her. By the time kids are 12 or so, they can start to think critically and deal with more of the complexities, but until then I think they need to feel proud of their country, school, family and self. When that is firmly set, they can later start questioning...before that, its just indoctrination. And I don't appreciate the public school indoctrinating my child into an antiAmerican ideology. But, thanks for the response. Always interesting to see how others perceive things. Have a good evening.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:37 PM

7,083 posts, read 12,088,853 times
So what you are telling you children is that it is okay to believe in stories that make them feel better, or find out the truth even if it hurts?

I find it's even more heroic to see people's stories through the strife and conflict in their era. They were just as human as the rest of us now.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:38 PM

37,198 posts, read 42,408,304 times
I think it's wierd that people don't have any sort of relationship with thier childs teacher and instead rant about "public schools" as if they were an entity trying to harm their very way of life.

I never had these problems, but then I cared enough to be involved.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I never knew it was the school's responsibility to teach national pride to children. No more than I would expect them to instill a moral compass in my child or teach them to tie their laces. Isn't this the job of a parent? Rather than finger-pointing at the school, perhaps you should look to take over this responsibility yourself.
Oh, but they are teaching morals and values. They spend hours and hours on environmental issues and how it is our duty to keep the earth green. Math, geography, literature, and science all revolve around environmental issues. And they read book after book that promotes themes of the end justifying the means. Novels where the protaganist is rewarded for stealing, bombing, whatever because it was in the name of self-expression or to help the environment...

Old 05-18-2010, 08:44 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,239,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
My 5th grader came home from school with this poem given to her by her teacher. The poem is representative of what she is being taught about our country and its leaders:

How to be Thomas Jefferson
by Barry Lane

Write like an angel.
Live in your mind.
Have your heart broken many times.
Declare all men equal,
and never release your 200 slaves.
Buy lots of real estate from Frenchmen
without looking at it.
Live beyond your means
and owe lots of money.
Never finish the house
that years later will appear
on the back side of a nickel.

I don't find it funny and I don't think its appropriate to be given to a fifth grader. It is only one example of many in which I have seen the school make a mockery of our country, its leaders, history, flag, etc. Is it any wonder that we have a growing nation of citizens who seem to lack a sense of pride in our country and are so overridden with a sense of guilt that they cave in to every piece of politically correct coersion thrown at them? Sad. I find it sad. Is this how you want your children taught? Is this how you want your tax dollars used?
Not only does the sentiment suck, but it's a really poorly written poem besides. I think it's time to sit your daughter down with some books of your own and teach her what America is REALLY about. Obviously, the teacher is not going to do it.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies