Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:37 AM

108 posts, read 113,473 times

Advertisements

Is any one else concerned about this ? Why all of a sudden is he so determined to get our Church involved with "His" Policies?
When our Founding Fathers wanted a Separation of Church and State it wasn't to have the Government to Protect "Us" from the Church it was to Protect "Us and Our Church" from a Government Controlled Church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 04:25 PM

571 posts, read 943,360 times
I am.

I oppose ALL forms of church-state meddling. The Church- any kind of church- should keep its beliefs out of the federal and state government entirely and without exception.

Obama made this as a "Kumbaya, we are all in this together, peace!" effort and it has a good enough intent (charity-wise) but it has the potential to be abused which I do not approve of in the slightest. It is almost certainly unconstitutional, without a doubt.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:32 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,311 times
I am. I think the government is clearly overstepping their reach of power here.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:35 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
I am.

I oppose ALL forms of church-state meddling. The Church- any kind of church- should keep its beliefs out of the federal and state government entirely and without exception.

Obama made this as a "Kumbaya, we are all in this together, peace!" effort and it has a good enough intent (charity-wise) but it has the potential to be abused which I do not approve of in the slightest. It is almost certainly unconstitutional, without a doubt.

He is getting the Church involved for no other reason than to push his agenda.
That is the ONLY reason other than immigration.
Get everybody working on GREEN, that is the brainwashing agenda.
Lots of money to be made if you stand for "green".
Get the Church to stand for illegals and that will give Obama courage to take on immigration. He will not have to worry about votes. He needs the Church now, it is no Kumbaya.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:35 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredElizabeth View Post
Is any one else concerned about this ? Why all of a sudden is he so determined to get our Church involved with "His" Policies?
When our Founding Fathers wanted a Separation of Church and State it wasn't to have the Government to Protect "Us" from the Church it was to Protect "Us and Our Church" from a Government Controlled Church.
What did you say about FBE when it was begun by GWB?

You might try looking up the differences between the Obama FBE and the Bush FBE policies and plans -- you might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
He is getting the Church involved for no other reason than to push his agenda.
That is the ONLY reason other than immigration.
Get everybody working on GREEN, that is the brainwashing agenda.
Lots of money to be made if you stand for "green".
Get the Church to stand for illegals and that will give Obama courage to take on immigration. He will not have to worry about votes. He needs the Church now, it is no Kumbaya.
Is some right wing source telling you people that this project was begun by Obama, and that the above are his evil plans?

How dumb do they think you are?

Old 05-19-2010, 04:40 PM

571 posts, read 943,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Is some right wing source telling you people that this project was begun by Obama, and that the above are his evil plans?

If it was begun by GWB, then I disagree with it as well. it makes no difference- I wasn't a member of CityData during the Bush years or else I would have voiced my opinion on that also.

the point still stands: church and state must be SEPARATE even if for good causes such as charity work. Private charities raise plenty of money anyway, why not just leave them like that?

Old 05-19-2010, 04:43 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
I think ALL faith based initiatives and ANY ties with the church by government should be severed. I don't care who is in office, but the two need to stay as far separated as possible.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:44 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

I have a feeling that I'm not aware of the total story here but, what can I say, I really didn't like FBE under Bush and I still don't like it.

“Faith-Based” Initiatives | Americans United

And AU's issues specifically with Obama:

Obama Inaction On Faith-Based Initiative Is Deeply Disappointing, Says AU | Americans United

Old 05-19-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
If it was begun by GWB, then I disagree with it as well. it makes no difference- I wasn't a member of CityData during the Bush years or else I would have voiced my opinion on that also.

the point still stands: church and state must be SEPARATE even if for good causes such as charity work. Private charities raise plenty of money anyway, why not just leave them like that?
Yes, it was begun under the Bush presidency as a sop to the Religious Right which had done much to put him into office. Remember "compassionate conservatism"?

That's nice you're against it though; so is the ACLU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies