Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:27 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,243,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
LOL...I've read many of your posts here, and this is the first time I know of that I have outright agreed with you...in fact I'll state it plain below:

I do NOT believe that every/any one who disagrees with Mr Obama's policies is a racist...folks have had problems with Presidents and policies since Day One, and this administration is no different...so I'm not gonna label folks who don't care for this administration as racists...it's dumb, time-consuming, and illogical...this coming from someone who wasn't a big fan of GW Bush, but nonetheless kept my distaste focused on his policies, and NOT his race or any other personal stuff...

But I'll go one step further...I DO have a problem with some of the signage I've seen on the 'Net and offline as well, and some posts here in Politics have raised my eyebrows as well...

Folks, it's OK to disagree with the man's policies---that's human nature...but when people make obvious race-oriented signs and remarks, about not only the Pres, but his wife and kids as well, then there's a problem...simple as that
The problem is there are still racists who do make racists comments.
The problem is it takes everyone who is not a racist and honestly disagree with his policies an easy target to be thrown in the same bowl as the true racists.
We will continue to have race problems in the country until we can have a black president criticized for his policies and not have critics lumped into the same bowl as racists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 01:38 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,979,866 times
First off if a poster makes a claim about being called this or that but when asked to show the posts and they refuse it makes one wonder if they are telling the whole truth. As both sides say: either provide the proof of your claims or stop lieing (it is what some of use are forced to assume is happening).
The truth is one is not automatically a racist if they disagree with something our President does. The truth is also that there ARE racists that post here and some of those that disagree on every action the President makes is based mainly on their radical thinking (or lack there of). Don't make comments that are clearly racist and I, for one, will not call you something you have not shown yourself to be, but do so and expect myself, and others, to point out the fact.
Casper

Old 05-20-2010, 01:44 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,401,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Obama is feeding in to it when he asked the black and hispanics to turn out and vote in Nov. He didnt have to bring any race into it. He could have simply asked for people to go out and vote.
Pur-fectly good example of misreading the obvious.

If he had made a like statements to catholics would he be biased toward them? How about Irish, Italians, Russians? He did make a like statement to Jews, why no comment about that?

Fact is, minorities have a track record of low turn outs.

Good gawd!

Old 05-20-2010, 01:44 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,864,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
First off if a poster makes a claim about being called this or that but when asked to show the posts and they refuse it makes one wonder if they are telling the whole truth. As both sides say: either provide the proof of your claims or stop lieing (it is what some of use are forced to assume is happening).
The truth is one is not automatically a racist if they disagree with something our President does. The truth is also that there ARE racists that post here and some of those that disagree on every action the President makes is based mainly on their radical thinking (or lack there of). Don't make comments that are clearly racist and I, for one, will not call you something you have not shown yourself to be, but do so and expect myself, and others, to point out the fact.
Casper
Did it cross your mind that people are called racist outside of this board? Also dont act like people arent called racist on this board either. All you have to do is look and you'll see it. Start with any thread about tea party.

Dont pretend that people arent called racist without making a racist comment.

Heck my husband got called a racist at the gas station. We have a bumper sticker for Allen West on our car. Needless to say the black guy calling my half black husband a racist didnt realize the bumper sticker was in support of a black man.

All you have to do now a days is say you are a republican and many will call you a racist for no other reason then that. Or say you attend or attend tea party events and your a racist also. It doesnt anything more

Old 05-20-2010, 01:45 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,485,808 times
We don't have race problems we have ignorant uninformed people problems.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:45 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,686,780 times
Lightbulb Well Said, And True...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
The problem is there are still racists who do make racists comments.
The problem is it takes everyone who is not a racist and honestly disagree with his policies an easy target to be thrown in the same bowl as the true racists.
We will continue to have race problems in the country until we can have a black president criticized for his policies and not have critics lumped into the same bowl as racists
Here's my perspective on racists and racism...I have learned/am learning to ignore it/them...

If all you have time to do is stand around and splutter like Yosemite Sam 'OOOOOOOOH!!! I HATE (fill in the racial/ethnic group)!!!' without any grounded reasoning as to why, other than the usual BS stereotypes being put forth by the media (and spoken by others as gospel), then you have a deep-seated problem, and you need help...

I am a grown man, and as such, your spluttering, crudely misspelled signs, continuous fat-mouthing, and overall having your boxers in a bunch because people darker than you have the outright gall to breathe YOUR oxygen, will not stop me from living my life, doing what I want to do, saying what I want to say...period, ipso-facto, end of story...

Wjtwet, the best and most wonderful thing you can do when someone calls you racist, or you encounter one of those hapless pea-brains (racists) in person, is to take a page from my book---and tune them out...works wonders for me and my stress level, and makes me feel good to see them red-faced and knowing you don't give a f**k about their stupidity

Old 05-20-2010, 01:53 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,864,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
Pur-fectly good example of misreading the obvious.

If he had made a like statements to catholics would he be biased toward them? How about Irish, Italians, Russians? He did make a like statement to Jews, why no comment about that?

Fact is, minorities have a track record of low turn outs.

Good gawd!
Fact is he didnt have to bring up any race at all but did.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:57 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,401,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Here's my perspective on racists and racism...I have learned/am learning to ignore it/them...
Real world war story.

I was talking with a young woman (white) (A), that woman was talking to me but looking at another young woman (B) who was/is of mixed race. During the course of our conversation woman A referred to woman B as an "Oreo". Should the comment be ignored?

You can take the head buried in the sand approach to the world around you I will not.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:59 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,007,515 times
People who believe the US has horrible race problems have obviously never been outside of the US.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:02 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,686,780 times
Lightbulb Sarge...Ya Read Me Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
Real world war story.

I was talking with a young woman (white) (A), that woman was talking to me but looking at another young woman (B) who was/is of mixed race. During the course of our conversation woman A referred to woman B as an "Oreo". Should the comment be ignored?

You can take the head buried in the sand approach to the world around you I will not.
When I said 'ignore', I meant in the media (print,video) NOT in person...somebody makes a racist remark in my presence, they will then deal with all 275 ex-infantry pounds of me...AND my wife, if she's nearby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies