Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Chicano Studies a relevant degree to offer in US Public Universities?
Yes, a degree in Chicano Studies is a useful degree to have in 2010. 3 21.43%
No, Chicano Studies is not a useful degree to have in 2010. 11 78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times

Advertisements

I want everyone to think about ethnic studies programs in the USA public university system.

Are they fomenting ethnic separatism in the USA and breeding "racial" hate?

At one time in the 1970's these programs were offered to give all students a broader education however, in the 2000's these degree tracts are directing a new breed of ethnic separatism in the USA.

http://http://laist.com/2010/05/20/dream_act_protest_seveerely_congest.php (http://http//laist.com/2010/05/20/dream_act_protest_seveerely_congest.php - broken link)

LAPD arrests 9 in immigration march that blocked Westside traffic | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Quote:
Nancy Meza, 23, a UCLA student who is scheduled to graduate in three weeks with a degree in Chicano studies, said the civil disobedience was organized in an effort to push for passage of the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act, commonly known as the DREAM Act.
The DREAM Act is federal legislation that would provide certain undocumented alien students who graduate from U.S. high schools and have been in the country continuously for at least five years before the bill's enactment the opportunity to earn conditional permanent residency.
LAPD arrests 9 in immigration march that blocked Westside traffic | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Quote:
The students would obtain temporary residency for a six-year period. Meza, who said she arrived in the U.S. from Mexico when she was 2 years old and is undocumented, said it was the legislation was needed to ensure that students like herself would eventually be able to work.
“I’m graduating in three weeks, but I can’t even work,” Meza said. “We are urging Sen. Dianne Feinstein [D-Calif.] to push for passage of the DREAM Act this year.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 11:17 PM

94 posts, read 69,707 times
I wonder why these Mexicans all want to come to the U.S and bring their culture which is the reason why Mexico is third world with them?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:52 PM

At one time in the 60's-70s a program like this was necessary but to have an entire degree program of Chicano Studies seems to be ancient history because the nation has made strides over the last 40 years to be inclusive and it seems the more strides we make the more people want to separate themselves and don't see themselves as a part of the American tapestry.

Because today we have this:

YouTube - L.A. Teacher Calls for Mexican Revolt in the U.S.

Why do tax payers fund public university education for this to continue in our nation?

It's not unifying it's dividing people and our nation.

This is the other side of the perspective. Unifying or separatist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdgC_heD1KM

Or... what does it really mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwETX...eature=related

Old 05-22-2010, 12:04 AM

I don't think this is harmless education for the sake of knowlege.

YouTube - The Aztec Al-Qaeda *

Old 05-22-2010, 12:07 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,078,382 times
I took a class in the Chicano-American experience and it was all anti-gringo, we're taking over America propaganda

Old 05-22-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I took a class in the Chicano-American experience and it was all anti-gringo, we're taking over America propaganda

So did you learn anything beneficial with regard to the world you live in whether you're Chicano or not?

Old 05-22-2010, 12:47 AM

I guess the "chicano studies" thing is a trickle down from the illegal immigration issue which the west coast is so far ahead of what you all are doing in other parts of the usa.

well....

do me a favor. if you think the illegal thing was so foreign to you, check out that you tube posted then come back and give an anonymous vote.

OK.?

thanks....

Old 05-22-2010, 08:25 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,097,596 times
First of all the OP's post and poll are two separate issues, but I can see the bias already.

Poll: Is a Chicano Studies degree helpful right now, after a major recession and in an economy that is finding a hard time gaining traction? Probably not, but if 3/4 of the way into your degree, it's kinda hard to change. Hope they had a minor in business or something.

Post: Are they fomenting hate and separatism? Absolutely not, they are to allow those who may not identify with a minority status to view events and history through a different prism and mechanism to which understanding and communication can be fostered and conducted. Are there some teachers who probably go too far with their positions? Sure, but it's college and if you can't argue your point or express yourself critically and with clarity you probably shouldn't be getting a degree in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies