Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:30 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,506,565 times

Advertisements

For the last decade, the country has clamored for healthcare, financial, immigration, and energy reform. For the vast majority of that time Republicans were in control. I can't recall any consorted effort by the Bush admin. or republicans in congress to actually reform any of the above. Now, with Obama in office for all of 16 months, many, especially conservatives expect to him to have already reformed all these failing systems. Many on CD frequently ask, "why hasn't Obama secured the border". Where were these questions the last 30 years let alone the last 10. Why weren't states making arbitrary impractical immigration laws the last 10 years? Why now? These problems didn't just pop up. In 16 short months, Obama has led healthcare reform and soon will have completed financial reform with immigration reform next.

I basically think that republicans, especially the radical teaparty regime, wants NO part of reform. As teaparty favorite Rand Paul has shown, they'd rather talk about their disdain for reform that happened 50 years ago that completely freed a race of people in this country. It has come full circle that these people really do NOT want reform, they "want their country back". They want the segregated, Jim Crow, overtly racist country of the 1950s back..I'm just glad they will never get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 09:33 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,788 times
just my opinion, of course, but where Republican and Democratic policies are concerned, the opposite of progressive is regressive. . . . .

Old 05-22-2010, 09:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
From your post, it seems you might want to do a little reading on Libertarian views and what they stand for.

"Jim Crow" ???

The only ones I constantly see crying racist are the extreme left.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:37 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,518,860 times
about as broad as it is long, the dems and repubs have both failed miserably

YouTube - Democrats were WARNED of Financial crisis and did NOTHING

YouTube - McCain Tried To Reform Fannie & Freddie, But was Stopped by every Democrat Senator...

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
The answer is no. Why would they want to, the system works extremely well for them the way it is, well was, until we finally have people trying to represent more Americans.

4,877 posts, read 4,509,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
For the last decade, the country has clamored for healthcare, financial, immigration, and energy reform. For the vast majority of that time Republicans were in control. I can't recall any consorted effort by the Bush admin. or republicans in congress to actually reform any of the above. Now, with Obama in office for all of 16 months, many, especially conservatives expect to him to have already reformed all these failing systems. Many on CD frequently ask, "why hasn't Obama secured the border". Where were these questions the last 30 years let alone the last 10. Why weren't states making arbitrary impractical immigration laws the last 10 years? Why now? These problems didn't just pop up. In 16 short months, Obama has led healthcare reform and soon will have completed financial reform with immigration reform next.

I basically think that republicans, especially the radical teaparty regime, wants NO part of reform. As teaparty favorite Rand Paul has shown, they'd rather talk about their disdain for reform that happened 50 years ago that completely freed a race of people in this country. It has come full circle that these people really do NOT want reform, they "want their country back". They want the segregated, Jim Crow, overtly racist country of the 1950s back..I'm just glad they will never get it.
Republicans passed immigration reform and gave healthcare access to all Americans under Reagan.

Bush gave us all kinds of new financial regualtions after September 11th.

Bush tried to reform Social Security but democrats blocked it. He also tried to reform immigration laws and democrats blocked it. He gave us education reform and democrats were for it and then against it.

Republicans have been trying to get more nuclear power in the U.S. for years and democrats keep blocking it. Republicans have been trying to open up some oil drilling in the U.S. for years and democrats keep blocking it.

Nice trolling thread you started here.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:41 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:

Republicans do little but in their favour they did at least pass the No Child Left Behind Act which at least began the process of dealing with failing schools and teacher unions which were considered "untouchable" before. I do not like everything about NCLB but it has allowed parents to remove kids from schools that just were not cutting it academically.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Republicans passed immigration reform and gave healthcare access to all Americans under Reagan.

Bush gave us all kinds of new financial regualtions after September 11th.

Bush tried to reform Social Security but democrats blocked it. He also tried to reform immigration laws and democrats blocked it. He gave us education reform and democrats were for it and then against it.

Republicans have been trying to get more nuclear power in the U.S. for years and democrats keep blocking it. Republicans have been trying to open up some oil drilling in the U.S. for years and democrats keep blocking it.

Nice trolling thread you started here.
If Bush or Reagan actually did these things, why would we still need reform under Obama? This is foolishness. Saying republicans have been "trying" do anything is even more ridiculous with them having the power to ACTUALLY do it for much of the last decade.

To say "Bush gave us all kinds of new financial regualtions after September 11th" only makes your position more horrendous.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:52 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,122 times
Quote:
If Bush or Reagan actually did these things, why would we still need reform under Obama? This is foolishness. Saying republicans have been "trying" do anything is even more ridiculous with them having the power to ACTUALLY do it for much of the last decade.

I'm no troll but you're surely an apologist.

LOLs. That's the way government works. The next guy, democrat or repblican, will be "reforming" some more things.

Why is Obama reforming Wall Street? FDR did it. Carter did it. Clinton did it. Why do we still need reform? Cant the lefties get things right the first gazillion times?

It's a matter of public record that republicans tried to reform social security and enegy and everything else I mentioned. And it's a matter public record who blocked it.

It's not a big secret these things happened. So, in reality, it is ridiculous to say they didn't.

Nice trolling thread you got here. Reading some of your other posts I wouldn't have expected anything different.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
From your post, it seems you might want to do a little reading on Libertarian views and what they stand for.

"Jim Crow" ???

The only ones I constantly see crying racist are the extreme left.
Who said anything about Libertarian views? As we've seen recently, nobody knows what their views are. The only thing I know is that they support the right to allow business to discriminate instead of the right of every race of people to be free. That may not be explicitly racist but it is extremely ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies