Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Consider this:

1) The President's message has not been well received on the whole. Foreign policy failures have prevailed, so far, and domestic policy successes such as healthcare reform have pushed the pendulum back in the direction of conservatism. Big Democratic losses are expected in 2010.
Dunno. Consider this: Obama has better approval ratings right now than Reagan did mid-term. Look em up.

Quote:
2) Multitudes of Czars and the radical PelosiReid machine were allowed to dictate the message on Cap And Trade, Healthcare Reform, the Stimulus, Auto Bailouts, Executive Pay, Wall Street Reform, and TARP. Obama has been content with taking a stand on the sidelines while his minions did the marketing. Only when the message was imperfectly portrayed by conservative adversaries did Obama take interest in actually taking a leadership role. Too little, too late appears to be the trend.
Not sure what you're talking about. He's got some of the key policies through that he wanted. Sounds like he achieved some of his agenda to me.

Quote:
3) The Gulf Oil Leak, and the government's response, has been tepid at best, abyssmal at worst. Whether its due to a cozy relationship with Big Oil at the highest levels, or pure complacency, Obama's Team has allowed the perception of relative concern dwindle to a message of total deference to BP. Again, too little too late.
You just want to say that because your feelings were hurt on how people beat up on Bush for Katrina. :-)

With Katrina, it was obvious what had to be done - it's just that nobody did anything about it for days and weeks.

With this oil spill, nobody has been able to figure out how to plug the well - that's a big difference. Only BP and private industry possess the technology to get that deep below the ocean, and even they haven't been able to figure out how to close it. This is an unprecedented situation, and it has taken time for experts to figure out how to address it. Unfortunately, the US is very poorly equipped to deal with this crisis, and that is a problem that has been in the making for several administrations - now we see the result.

Ohh but we don't want to regulate Big Oil, right? That would be bad.

So in conclusion, you got nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 08:08 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I predict if the Republicans gain any sort of power within the next few years it won't be too long afterwards until people wake up to what a bunch of self-serving, social zealot, fearmongering crooks they are...AGAIN.
Please, oh mighty liberal... enlighten us on just how it is "self-serving", as you say, to want to give the power back to the people and not the government?

Do you even understand politics? You do know that conservatives are for taking power AWAY from government, right? How is it self-serving to want to give the power BACK to the people? If you ask me, LIBERALISM is self serving as you have a minority group of people who have the power to force the rest of the population to give them what they want. (subsidized healthcare anyone?) THAT is self serving!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 PM

571 posts, read 943,698 times
I'm just scared about what will happen if Republicans re-take the House and people realize that things are exactly the same, only with a few extra dollars slashed in taxes & a lot more proposed flag burning amendments.

The only thing that reassures me is that a lot of the Tea Party folks tend to be middle-aged and there aren't that many of them. But a revolt may be likely.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
With Rahm Emanuel's pending departure, I believe my prediction is coming true. The big question is, who will be next? There are too many controversies brewing on the back burner for this President to come out unscathed unless he purges a few more Fall Guys. Who will it be?

The funny part is I predicted it would happen before 2012. I should have said 2010!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:33 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Consider this:

1) The President's message has not been well received on the whole. Foreign policy failures have prevailed, so far, and domestic policy successes such as healthcare reform have pushed the pendulum back in the direction of conservatism. Big Democratic losses are expected in 2010.

2) Multitudes of Czars and the radical PelosiReid machine were allowed to dictate the message on Cap And Trade, Healthcare Reform, the Stimulus, Auto Bailouts, Executive Pay, Wall Street Reform, and TARP. Obama has been content with taking a stand on the sidelines while his minions did the marketing. Only when the message was imperfectly portrayed by conservative adversaries did Obama take interest in actually taking a leadership role. Too little, too late appears to be the trend.

3) The Gulf Oil Leak, and the government's response, has been tepid at best, abyssmal at worst. Whether its due to a cozy relationship with Big Oil at the highest levels, or pure complacency, Obama's Team has allowed the perception of relative concern dwindle to a message of total deference to BP. Again, too little too late.

All of these things, and many others, add up to gigantic political fallout for Obama and Democrats. I predict that when the Obama acknowledges the writing on the wall, he'll have no choice but to force out the political operatives who have not done the President any favors in terms of dictating the message.
Since like you, I am also a political junkie and tend to see situations in terms of "strategizing" I might agree with you but if you really think about it, the problem isn't managing the message by the Obama minions, it's the policy/actions themselves that stink AKA you can't put lipstick on a pig (to resurrect that 2008 chestnut).

Old 06-21-2010, 08:36 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Since like you, I am also a political junkie and tend to see situations in terms of "strategizing" I might agree with you but if you really think about it, the problem isn't managing the message by the Obama minions, it's the policy/actions themselves that stink AKA you can't put lipstick on a pig (to resurrect that 2008 chestnut).
I certainly agree with you Laura. The policies themselves are atrocious and, judging by the polls, American's are not at all interested in what Democrats and Obama have put forth. They'll pay for that at the polls. I have no doubts whatsoever.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:53 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
I'm just scared about what will happen if Republicans re-take the House and people realize that things are exactly the same, only with a few extra dollars slashed in taxes & a lot more proposed flag burning amendments.

The only thing that reassures me is that a lot of the Tea Party folks tend to be middle-aged and there aren't that many of them. But a revolt may be likely.
Older people are the largest voting group and older people are the ones that have been ***** slapped by Obamacare. Older people don't have to read revisionist history to know what it was like in the old days and they have grandchildren. All of the talking heads in the media and politics with their Democrat and Republican talking points and agendas aren't going to change their experiences just because those talking heads keep yapping away 24/7 in various media. Anybody who has improved their lot in life, over decades, due to hard work, individual decisions, saving and wise spending and perservering isn't going to buy the collectivist/share the wealth, we have to spend like drunken sailors to escape debt crappola that is being sold/shoveled today.

Students in college don't know what the h**l they are talking about. They regurgitate the words of their teachers and books. They never paid real taxes, never fought for freedom/liberty, never were competitive, some never held a real job and as such have never had a stake in the American dream, that would be the one that is being turned into a nightmare with their consent. The ones still living in their parents basement are only too willing to go from teat to teat (mommy to government) in their care, feeding and decision-making. Lucky for us, most of them are also too lazy to vote.

Older America will save them from themselves at the voting booth.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:15 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I predict if the Republicans gain any sort of power within the next few years it won't be too long afterwards until people wake up to what a bunch of self-serving, social zealot, fearmongering crooks they are...AGAIN.
And your Democraps, are more of the same. Never new a bunch coud be so self-serving of themselves, and to hell with everyone else.Thanks so many have now noticed that this administration and President, do not have our best interest at heart, but their own. People have awoke.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 AM

848 posts, read 1,953,243 times
Democrats and Republicans are doing nothing more than playing Good Cop, Bad Cop.

Neither group is "for the people." It's time to elect independents OR those of either party who actually represent their constituents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies