Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:30 PM

41 posts, read 21,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The border's total length is 3,169 km (1,969 miles).
The national guard : 1200 personnel

A soldier every 1.64 miles?
That's going to deter border crossings?

[head smack]
Even in places where their are LOTS of border agents and fences, they come right through the fence.

This is a problem that cannot be solved. We can only hope to manage it the best we can. People who think we can outright solve this problem by adding manpower have a tenuous grasp upon the situation 9and reality).

Bush put a load more agents on the job, yet people still cry the Fed does nothing. Tens of thousands a year are deported, yet the Fed "does nothing".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 10:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Wow. You obviously don't know how many NG troops are currently serving in Iraq & Afghanistan. There is approx 10,000 NG troops in Iraq. And just under 4,000 in Afghanistan. 3rd string @ best? You have no idea. These guys are battled hardened veterans who know how to conduct missions for the most part. Going through the motions? It's more than ANY other President has EVER DONE.

If his "buddy" Calderon did mention it, it would show he's smarter and has more balls than Bush, 5-deferment Cheney or Turd blossom put together.

3rd string? Shows how much you know and how much you respect the military of this great country.
One big yawn.
I am a vet. A combat vet. I have served with gaurdsmen. Nice guys. I liked them. I would never go into a fire fight willingly with part time heros.
They train 1 weekend a month 2 weeks a year. They are like sending a flag football team to play againstpro's.
No not all NG are hardened vets. In fact most are not.
I have no idea? Been there and done that have you?
Weekend warriors working for the pension. Guys who either didn't qualify for regular army or had no stomach for full time duty.
I mean them no disrespect but facts are facts. They are part timers, less than fully trained, less than hardened.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:03 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,949,872 times
Giddy UP!!!!!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:15 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You can hit your head over this:

Part of the boarder has fences and boarder patrol.

You can too^.

So is your inability to read.

Hmm, really?

And what are your views on the JFK assassination and moon landing?
I am sorry you know so little about the topic,perhaps you should educate yourself about what is going on?

Or not.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:22 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Just heard on the news.

Will that be enough and why did it take so long to do this? I think it is the polls.
I imagine that the Guard is being sent there to stop the border agents from doing their job, or maybe to rescue illegal aliens when they get stranded in the desert (just kidding).

a. Maybe to drill for water and build water fountains so the illegal aliens won't die from thirst?

b. Maybe to post trail markers to aid illegals from getting lost?

c. Maybe to transport illegal aliens into the US?

Old 05-26-2010, 06:48 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
With him making the decision to send the guards to the border I believe he owes Jan Brewer and the people of Arizona an apology.

With this decision it tells me he now agrees with their new law and is reacting to it.

So great for Obama, he has learned that Arizona and that awesome kick arse Governor was correct all along and Obama has caved into the demands finally and is now agreeing with them on this issue.

Thank Obama for finally agreeing with Brewer and the people of Arizona on this.

His sending guards to the border proves he was wrong all along.

Thumbs up to Jan Brewer who had to help Obama make a decision to protect our citizens.

Also, this just shows yet another mistake and poor decision by Obama on an issue.
When will he finally get something right the first time and not have to go back and fix it later.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Some reactions to Obama's decision (there's many more in the link):

Reaction to Obama's decision to send National Guard to border

• "The Mexican government fully respects the sovereign decisions of the U.S. government, but underscores that joint responsibility must continue to underpin our joint efforts in rolling-back transnational organized crime operating on both sides of the border."
- Mexican Foreign Ministry, in a written statement.

• "We are outraged. Instead of addressing a domestic human-rights crisis, the president appears to be caving into extremists who are further shattering and already broken immigration system."
- Pablo Alvarado, director of the National Day Laborer Organizing Network, in a written statement.

• "I truly hope that previous federal commitments, as well as these new commitments, are fulfilled, maintained and grown significantly as soon as possible. Success will be determined by facts on the ground, not on the size of unfulfilled promises or rhetorical flurries."
-Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:39 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Just heard on the news.

Will that be enough and why did it take so long to do this? I think it is the polls.
McCain said "jump" so 0bama complied:

May 17, 2010 at 3:22 PM MST
U.S. Senators John McCain and Jon Kyl today sent a letter to President Obama calling on him to immediately deploy the National Guard to our southern border.

Senators McCain and Kyl Call on President Obama to Deploy National Guard To Our Southern Border | John McCain for U.S. Senate (http://www.johnmccain.com/blog/post/senators-mccain-and-kyl-call-on-president-obama-to-deply-national-guar/ - broken link)

Some reporter said that McCain asked 0bama if he agreed that securing the border needed to occur first, before any immigration reform, and 0bama said "No."

I'll see if I can find this quote, but if true, then how serious is 0bama, are these troops on the border just a political move?

Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Inside the lunch meeting, Obama squared off with his old rival McCain (R-Ariz.) over border security, sources said. Sources described Obama’s conversation with McCain as rather direct.

McCain said he told Obama: "We need to secure the borders first. He didn't agree."

Shortly after the meeting, Obama called for 1,200 National Guard troops to be deployed to the border, and McCain quickly one-upped the president, asking for 6,000.

Obama also called for a comprehensive immigration plan, an idea McCain seemed to rebuff. And McCain also challenged Obama over constitutional concerns he's raised over Arizona’s controversial immigration law, saying administration officials needed to read the law first

Read more:
President Obama clashes with McCain in Republican luncheon - Manu Raju - POLITICO.com

Old 05-26-2010, 08:57 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
Just heard on the news.

He should send 12,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies