Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the USA decare war on Germany in WWII?
Yes 52 70.27%
No, we declared on Japan, but not Germany. 18 24.32%
I Don't Know 4 5.41%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:37 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,451,117 times

Advertisements

omg imagine if the US had annexed Canada at any time? I wouldn't have to deal with all the "honoUr" I see on internet fora.

The sad thing is, I'm only half being sarcastic, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 02:51 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, the Niagara Campaign into Canada did not begin until 1814. Canada did not exist until 1860, it was known as British North America at that time.

But you are correct in that British declared war on the US. The Niagara Campaign was Madison's response for the burning of Fort Niagara and several towns along the river by the British. The northern States supported the campaign into Canada, the southern States opposed it, and Madison was indecisive.
I didn't say when the campaign began, but we declared war in 1812.

Back then, it took years to mobilize campaigns.

Hell, the battle of New Orleans was fought after the peace treaty was signed.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:05 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
Well the poster said: "What about his opinion that The Constitution is a deeply flawed document", but that's NOT Obama said. He said it contained a flaw - totally different concepts. He was wrong and so are YOU, baby. But as I said, reading comprehension seems to be a problem.
Let me help you out here. He said it contained a deep flaw. I know it is difficult for you but here is what it means. If something contains a deep flaw it is deeply flawed. Please give me an example of something contains a deep flaw that is just dandy. Why do you guys feel the need to defend the indefensible?

Old 05-28-2010, 06:06 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,066,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
Obama said:
African-Americans were not -- first of all, they weren't African-Americans. The Africans at the time were not considered as part of the polity that was of concern to the framers.
What do you think of that statement? Did the constitution have a deep flaw?
That is a matter of perspective and at the time there were dissenting views. Through the amendment process blacks have been given proper consideration and yet Obama says the flaw remains. If you look at the entire context of his comments, Obama says what he thinks the flaw consists of (at least in part)....that The Constitution (as it has been interpreted thus far) constrains government and does not grant economic justice via redistribution. THAT is the fundamental flaw he still sees today. If he was talking about slavery or blacks not having equal rights, that has been addressed and does not 'continue to this day'. I can't post the entire interview but you can listen to it at the WBEZ audio library site, Sept. 6 2001.

Now, regarding the OT....why are people still voting that we did not declare war on Germany when I specifically posted the links to the formal Congressional declarations? It's one thing to be ignorant of facts, it's another to be ignorant in the face of fact...we call that stupidity.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:19 AM

94 posts, read 245,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfles View Post
yes, after they declared war on us.
This is correct.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:03 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,605,211 times
Yes,after they declared war on us.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:23 PM

1,089 posts, read 655,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Now, regarding the OT....why are people still voting that we did not declare war on Germany when I specifically posted the links to the formal Congressional declarations? It's one thing to be ignorant of facts, it's another to be ignorant in the face of fact...we call that stupidity.
Obviously you don't see the very logical reason for this, I think you have you mind made up and this clouds your thinking as does you thinking of President Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
That is a matter of perspective and at the time there were dissenting views. Through the amendment process blacks have been given proper consideration and yet Obama says the flaw remains. If you look at the entire context of his comments, Obama says what he thinks the flaw consists of (at least in part)....that The Constitution (as it has been interpreted thus far) constrains government and does not grant economic justice via redistribution. THAT is the fundamental flaw he still sees today. If he was talking about slavery or blacks not having equal rights, that has been addressed and does not 'continue to this day'. I can't post the entire interview but you can listen to it at the WBEZ audio library site, Sept. 6 2001.
This is total BS and you know it's nothing more than your OPINION. You have an opinion that Obama hates the Constitution - that's fine with me as I couldn't give a rats ass what you THINK. But you stated it as fact and that wrong.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:07 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfles View Post
yes, after they declared war on us.
Exactly. Under Article 3 of the Tripartite Pact (aka Axis Pact), once the United States declared war on Japan, Nazi Germany was compelled to declare war on the United States. Hitler was NOT PLEASED, because he wanted the United States to stay out of it, but he did declare war on the United States on December 11, 1941. In return, and in a matter of hours, the United States also declared war on Nazi Germany.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:45 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Japan attacked the U.S.
The U.S. declared war on Japan.
Germany and Italy declared war on the U.S.
Yup.
Germany, Italy and Japan were allied. That's why they were called the Axis, another term for allies. I think the Italians came up with the term.

The Axis beat us in declaring war, but if they had not, we would have, due to Japan's military attack on Pearl Harbor.

In turn, we allied with Great Britain and Russia, who were already fighting the Axis, and with other nations like Mexico, Cuba and Brazil, who provided their facilities and other support but no military.

We also allied with all the free leaders of occupied nations like France and Poland. Both had large armies in exile that joined the fight. The term for our group became the Allied Forces.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:39 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Hitler was a narcissistic messianic leader who gained a cult following because of high unemployment. He promised to bring people out of poverty. After he came to power the government changed from Democratic to a dictatorship.

Prime minister Chamberlain who believed in appeasement signed the Treaty of Munich believing it would appease Hitler. Hitler then invaded Czechoslovakia using the excuse that the Czech government was abusing the Russians that lived in the Czech republic just like Putin used that excuse with Ukraine. Hitler and Stalin signed a non-aggression agreement which included secret clauses for the division of Poland. Hitler then invaded Poland, Yugoslavia, Greece. Then Britain and France declared war on Germany. Russia surprised Hitler by entering the war. Hitler took France.

Hitler attacked England but retreated, when England bombed Germany Hitler was furious.

The Japanese, who were already at war against the Chinese, attacked the US at Pearl Harbour. Americans went to war against Japan and fought them in the S. Pacific, Midway, Battle of Okinawa, Battle of Guadalcanal. Stalin, Roosevelt and Churchill co-ordinated a simultaneous attack on Germany. When the allies stormed Normandy in France Hitler was happy because he thought his enemies were sitting ducks.

My uncles fought in world war II, one uncle always happy go lucky, they say he was happy to be alive, he fought in the battle of Okinawa. My other uncle was a bombardier who was in England. My aunt Pearl was a war bride from England.

The death of millions and the destruction of countries all because of a power hungry, narcissistic, messianic leader with a cult like following.

"Reject those voices"

Last edited by petch751; 05-21-2014 at 02:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies