Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:32 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,960,105 times

Advertisements

Illinois Senate candidate admits claim about military award was inaccurate
The Republican candidate for President Obama's old Senate seat has admitted to inaccurately claiming he received the U.S. Navy's Intelligence Officer of the Year award for his service during NATO's conflict with Serbia in the late 1990s.

Kirk, whose campaign has emphasized his military service as a reservist, similarly misstated the award during a House committee hearing in March 2002. In a remark recorded by C-Span, he said, "I was the Navy's Intelligence Officer of the Year," an achievement he depicted as providing special qualifications to discuss national security spending.

In a message on his blog, Kirk wrote that "upon a recent review of my records, I found that an award listed in my official biography was misidentified" and that the award he had intended to list was given to his unit, not to him individually... and changed his Web site to incorporate a different account of the award.

He wasn't even in Kosovo - his unit was based in Aviano, Italy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 10:39 PM

138 posts, read 165,490 times
Must be catching. I see posters on this board stealing valor a lot lately.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:49 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
So according to the right wing posters on this board who threw a hissy fit over the Democratic Senate candidate from Connecticut who lied a few times about his service record. All GOP voters in Illinois must now vote for his Democratic opponent. ......Or they just don't care about lying!.....LOL

Old 05-29-2010, 10:52 PM

138 posts, read 165,490 times
What this guy did doesn't even compare. Keep trying tho

Old 05-29-2010, 10:55 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Obvious View Post
What this guy did doesn't even compare. Keep trying tho
Of course it doesn't compare to right wing hypocrites.

The CT candidate was a Dem....This Illinois candidate is a GOPer

See?................ No comparison.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:52 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
I am getting so over these threads on REBUBLICIANS AND WHY THEY LIE, DEMOCRATS AND WHY THEY LIE, guess what People, i am starting to think, that it is in the Politicians Gene Pool to Lie at Will, they do it so easily. Sorry to disapoint, but this is a toss up, for there are wackos in both parties, and there are liars in both parties, equal. And in both parties, there are some, who just don't do their JOB!

Old 05-30-2010, 04:24 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I am getting so over these threads on REBUBLICIANS AND WHY THEY LIE, DEMOCRATS AND WHY THEY LIE, guess what People, i am starting to think, that it is in the Politicians Gene Pool to Lie at Will, they do it so easily. Sorry to disapoint, but this is a toss up, for there are wackos in both parties, and there are liars in both parties, equal. And in both parties, there are some, who just don't do their JOB!
Agreed. It's like fibbing on a resume. "Everyone does it so why not me?" is a poor excuse for lying about this especially when it can so easily be found out as a lie. To me, people who inflate their military record like this are ashamed of their service. I don't care if he was a cook or a paper pusher in the military. You volunteer, you serve and did your job, and then were honorably discharged. That's all that matters. But I guess it's in a politicians DNA to lie, lie, and lie.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:58 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Of course it doesn't compare to right wing hypocrites.

The CT candidate was a Dem....This Illinois candidate is a GOPer

See?................ No comparison.
Sounds to me like what you Democrats do all the time.

Anyway, I didn't see any giant lie or sin here. When I read the two posted blog transcripts, I see a simple mix up, and I don't see any deliberate attempt at deception. The guy corrected it himself, too, he didn't wait till he was "caught".

You guys are just engaging in revenge, but you have no ammo. Your shooting blanks.

Go get a life.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 05-30-2010 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-30-2010, 06:24 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
As someone once observed, history repeats itself. That Republican icon, "Tail-Gunner" Joe McCarthy, didn't exactly have a shining military record either (although he certainly did create one on paper!)

Old 05-30-2010, 06:34 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
I was a Machinist Mate in the Navy and I freely admit I was a lousy Machinist Mate. I achieved rank because of time in service combined with good test taking skills. Because I was a lousy Machinist Mate, my division made me the DCPO (the divisions damage control petty officer). It's suppose to go to a good worker, a self starter, a person who can do the work responsibly with little to no supervision. It usually goes to whom ever the division wants to get out of the way. In my case, I was both. I turned out to be a great DCPO and have letters of commendation. Why lie? Why did I work so hard at being a good DCPO? A DCPO's job is to inspect, maintain, and repair all the firefighting, water tight doors/hatches/scuttles, and emergency escape breathing devices. I had to work in the engine/boiler room of those over 30 year old ships and I wanted to get out of there alive when something went wrong. Things did go wrong and because I did my job, not one of my firefighting equipment failed when it was needed most. Because of this, every little fire we had never had the chance to become a major fire. I have an uncle who served in the Navy. When I asked him what he did in the Navy he said the brig. "Oh, you were a guard at the brig?" I asked. He said, "Nope!". Once again,...why lie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies