Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:28 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Common sense and fair play went out the window a long time ago.

˙uʍop ǝpısdn sı ɯǝʇsʎs ǝןoɥʍ ǝɥʇ
Yes and I am just spouting off here but the law was probably made by some over educated person with no common sense that needs a calculator to add, multiply and divide.
Oh no, my calculator just broke, NOW what am I going to do???
Let me go buy a book to see if I can figure out how to handle this situation.
Fair play is long gone, you must have a "link" first.
Ranting, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 06:41 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
These good folks did it the legal way and now they are out while illegals march in our streets telling us how we should run our country.

Maine Business Is Shut Without a Renewed Visa

“I love America,” Mr. Franks said, but he has become embittered because their hard work and frugal ways seem to count for nothing.

“You can go from ‘illegal’ to ‘green card holder,’ but we’re going from ‘legal’ to ‘no way you can get a green card,’ ” he said. “We did it wrong. If we came here illegally, we’d have a chance of becoming citizens.”
They came here on a VISA which is a temporary admission. They are not citizens nor are they Permanent Residents. They should have expected to return to England when their visas expired. They remind me of these college students who come here on student visas and just assume that they are going to be here forever. I used to hear them making plans on where they were going to work and buy a house after school and I would always ask them "aren't you supposed to go home after you finish school?"
Just because the United States gives you a visa does not mean that you will automatically get residence here. In this case, I would like to see the couple stay of they want and I would let them but I don't get to decide that. If they want, they should stay illegally and wait for reform and amnesty to pass and apply then.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:41 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
Every time the government provides something it has to create a bureaucracy to close loop holes.. Look at our tax code, look at welfare, look at health care, educational system, law enforcement, military..

No one would care who comes here if they didn’t leach off the system!

It goes on and on and on..

In Maine marijuana is illegal, but now we have medical marijuana... the code dealing with who cant and who can get and use marijuana is stupid.. legalize it or don’t legalize it.. I dont give a ****.. stop with the red tape crap..

Government IS the problem and will continue to BE the problem until people stop looking to government to solve all of THEIR problems..

Get RID of all of the entitlements, programs, and bureaucratic BS.. Let people exceed or fail on their own merit..

We would save trillions over the next decade but too many jobs, benefits, ect are all tied up into it.. most don’t realize that this system is about to collapse underneath itself as it is anyways and everyone will suffer because of it..

Old 05-31-2010, 06:47 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I have friends who left like they were supposed to after their legal student and work visas expired...but heaven help those who want the paid-under-the-table illegals to go...political correctness bites!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:39 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
I support neither illegals nor the E-2 scam.

The E-2 was never meant to allow every Tom,Dick, and Harry to come here and start a small, marginal business as long as it supported his family.

If that was the case many Juan, Jose, and Miguel would fit the criteria.

Poster Gary Siete is correct-------the purpose of the E-2 visa was to allow foreigner with a substantial investment in a business that would benefit the US by hiring many workers.

I fail to see how the guy met the criteria.

Restaurants are a dime a dozen here in the US.
He should never have got one ( visa) in the first place. ( IMHO )

Restaurants go broke every day.
Don't need to grant a visa to foreigners to compete with the already struggling ones run by US citizens. !

Last edited by marmac; 05-31-2010 at 08:11 AM..

Old 05-31-2010, 08:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
They didn't play by the rules. They made an E-2 application, got accepted under certain investment and job creation conditions, and nine years later were running a small restaurant that barely had $175/day in receipts. E-2 is intended for larger scale investments - not small businesses that barely make enough to pay the proprietor's bills.
Certainly illegals aren't playing by the rules, they aren't even trying to play by any rules, yet they get to stay, they can demand their quick easy citizenship, march around waving their country's flags and have all sorts of sympathy and politicians working for them.

All immigration should be tied to unemployment rates. When too many Americans are unemployed, there is absolutely no good reason to allow millions of people in.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:25 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Certainly illegals aren't playing by the rules, they aren't even trying to play by any rules, yet they get to stay, they can demand their quick easy citizenship, march around waving their country's flags and have all sorts of sympathy and politicians working for them.

All immigration should be tied to unemployment rates. When too many Americans are unemployed, there is absolutely no good reason to allow millions of people in.
It is a great idea that it should be tied to unemployment rates but their calculator is broke and they can't figure that out.
Has it been written anywhere? a book? a link?
If not, they will never know.
Maybe you are our only hope.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:29 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
There was a controversary, a short time ago , about foreign investors obtaining E-2 visas by re-opening a meat packing plant in South Dakota.

Meat packing plants are notorious for employing illegals.

Kinda ironic..........the foreign investors would want to get staus as legal residents while their business employed illegals.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I have to ask , do you support amnesty? These folks at least went through the channels to come here, and they get sent packing because they don't make enough money? Christ on a crutch!! The illegals sponge off our education , health care and public funding, send the money they make back to Mexico,, have not contributed a bloody THING and you want to spit hairs on these folks income?! Thus my question about amnesty, if you support the latter, that is REALLY over the top.
Yes, because they're legal and cannot meet the requirements, they're expected to leave. The illegals are going to be given free college, and the fast track citizenship - all because they never once respected any law. The guy pushing the paleta cart will soon end up with a SSI check, the kids selling homemade tamales outside the grocery store will be given a free education here, no questions asked.

The lesson - come here illegally and you can stay forever, come here legally and out you go.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:47 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soymabelen View Post
The USCIS is the law, not their lawyer. I like to stay within the law. I do not agree with overstaying your visa. If their visa is not renewed, then they must leave. As a human being, however, I do sympathize with their predicament even though it was a possible and to a certain extent foreseeable outcome.
Then you must be for getting all of the illegals out of the country as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies