Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:54 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,372,166 times

Advertisements

I've notice that some conservatives seem to be giving Obama some slack on this oil spill because they view this as an example of how government can't automaticlly fix everything. Conservatives I've heard from feel that Obama has kinda set himself up by making it seem as if big government can solve every problem like this oil spill with ease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 09:20 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
I don't know any conservatives who think that "government can automatically fix everything" and if anyone does believe that, they are woefully misinformed. Government more often makes things worse, not better.

What I would like to know is if the area is being seeded with oil-eating bacteria. If not, why not?

Old 05-30-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I don't know any conservatives who think that "government can automatically fix everything" and if anyone does believe that, they are woefully misinformed.
It's not that conservatives believe that. The conservatives I've heard are aiming that at what they feel is Obama's emphasis on government being able to solve every problem/crisis.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:25 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,950 times
I know not one Conservative that thinks the government can fix everything or anything for that matter. That being said I don't blame Obama for the spill, I blame BP, it is their mess to clean up. Obama even thought I don't like him or agree with him on much of anything, has his hands tied. It is not like the government has a plan and BP is holding them up. The government can do nothing but sit by and watch.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:34 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,330,973 times
Default Conservatives Giving Obama Some Slack On Spill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I've notice that some conservatives seem to be giving Obama some slack on this oil spill because they view this as an example of how government can't automaticlly fix everything. Conservatives I've heard from feel that Obama has kinda set himself up by making it seem as if big government can solve every problem like this oil spill with ease.
Oil slack for an oil slick?

Thermite the casing - then centrifuge the oil.

Convict anyone responsible for using "dispersants".

"In previous spills, oil rose to the surface and was dealt with there, but due to the use of dispersants, as well as the weight of this particular crude oil and the pressure created by the depth of the leak, much of the oil has stayed submerged in clouds of tiny particles. At least 800,000 gallons of dispersants were sprayed at escaping oil in a frantic attempt to keep it offshore, but it now seems this preventative measure has created a worse disaster. The chemicals helped to keep the oil submerged and are toxic to marine life, resulting in unprecedented underwater damage to organisms in the Gulf."

Oil spill creates huge undersea 'dead zones' - Americas, World - The Independent

Old 05-30-2010, 09:50 PM

Here's what I'am talking about with George Will. Tucker Carlson has even said something similar.

George Will: President Obama "is being unfairly blamed" for oil spill response "and it sort of serves him right" | Media Matters for America

Old 05-30-2010, 09:52 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I know not one Conservative that thinks the government can fix everything or anything for that matter. That being said I don't blame Obama for the spill, I blame BP, it is their mess to clean up. Obama even thought I don't like him or agree with him on much of anything, has his hands tied. It is not like the government has a plan and BP is holding them up. The government can do nothing but sit by and watch.
Very true that BP is to blame for the spill, However, although it is their responsibility to pay for the cleanup, the Feds are responsible for the plan and the actual cleanup. Therein lies the problem. While it has been reported by the Plaquemine Parish Pres. Billy Nungeness over one month after the explosion no Federal or BP plan has been submitted and when the local and state officials come up with a plan they are waiting over a week to get approval to implement from coast guard and corp of Engineers. The Feds are responsible because the well was in Federal water with a lease and permits approved by the [/b]Obama[/b] administration. There are actually laws on the books that state this responsibility. Maybe if this administration weren't so busy taking care of the banks, auto industry, healthcare, etc which aren't their responsibility, they would be able to handle things that clearly are their responsibility!!!

Old 05-30-2010, 10:08 PM

Tucker Carlson:

Quote:

WALLACE: Is there anything, Tucker, that the president could have done, could do now more? I mean I understand people want action, and to a certain degree as Charles says, it's really out of the president's control and that's a hard thing for people to accept.

What more over the last five weeks, talking now 35-38 days. What more could the president have done?

TUCKER CARLSON, EDITOR, THE DAILYCALLER.COM: Not just over that period but over the preceding year. You hear people say what was the plan? What was the plan for the deep water oil leak? And the truth is they didn't have one because you can't plan for every possibility. And you shouldn't because it's waste of time.

There is a limit to government power, even the president's power, and to human power. And you kind of wish the president would admit that tomorrow. He won't. He will attack BP. And it is fundamentally their fault and his job is to hold them accountable. They ought to pay for it. That's just fair.

But nobody is admitting the obvious, which is accidents happen, tragedies occur, this is one of them, and the federal government literally can't fix everything. And I think people lose sight of the fundamental fact.

RealClearPolitics - Panel on the Oil Spill Cleanup

Old 05-30-2010, 10:11 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,505,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Ideologically, it's more about not expecting others to take care of you. Relying on others to fix your problems is risky, not to mention foolish. In this case, asking the government to fix what BP has done is just silly as they a) do not have the resources or expertise to handle these issues, and b) will only get in the way with their massive bureaucracy and red tape.

Whether they have yet or not, BP has the expertise and skills needed to take care of this problem. People need to understand that this was a 1 in 1,000,000 chance accident. Everyone sits on their couches pointing fingers and yelling at the TV when they see birds and turtles covered in oil... It's easy to say that BP wasn't prepared to handle this, however, in reality, they did technically follow the regulations by having a blow out preventer installed (which is designed to prevent a worse case scenario from happening). These are multi-redundant systems too. The fact that it failed is still a big mystery to a lot of people. Some even suspect eco-terrorism, which I am highly skeptical of, but it cannot be ruled out at this point.

Having said that I feel it is completely BP's moral and legal responsibility to clean this up and fix the leak, and I know they will. I am not excusing them in any way, but simply pointing out that they technically met the regulations established by our government for safe operation. Well, guess what, these regulations failed to keep the operation safe, and now BP is doing everything they can to responsibly clean up their mess.

Governments make mistakes too, people. Liberals tend to think that government regulations always work to keep people safe 100% of the time. I encourage those of you who think this way to take a look back on the Space Shuttle Columbia accident.... or perhaps Apollo 13.... or perhaps the whistle blowing incident with Southwest Airlines a year or so ago.

Last edited by ryanst530; 05-30-2010 at 10:23 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 10:28 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,646 times
Uhh .. Tucker Carlson's point is well taken about not having a cleanup plan. But with all those brainiacs that the Obama administration has you would think that they could come up with one in, say a week. That is really stretching it in my view, but we are now past 40 days. When should we expect that plan Mr President?? The local and state officials had a plan over a week ago, but can't get the coast guard and corp of eng. to give approval to implement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies